•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter w/GRS at Zenith 2019-08-22

dslr Maksutov planet astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southwest Texas, USA

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:24 AM

G'day all,

I captured Jupiter right after it crossed the meridian at zenith:

001-003_5.93ppAd.jpg

Jupiter 2019-08-22 10:18 UTC

Skywatcher 180 Mak-Cass

Fujiyama 12.5mm orthoscopic

Canon T3i, 3×1024 frames

Winds were calm and the jet stream was tame, but seeing was mediocre nonetheless.

Cheers,

BQ

• Sunspot, Jeffrey C., Kenny V. and 9 others like this

#2 Foc

Foc

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:40 AM

Windy and very twinkly here.  However it was clear and so I was tempted despite the je(s?)t stream readings.  But in the end I decided to try and get closer to finishing GIMP-ING my April holiday snaps.  Good that you caught a nice image.  Did you capture any images with Ganymede?...Perhaps still not too late for you to get some!

#3 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 August 2019 - 12:42 AM

Windy and very twinkly here.  However it was clear and so I was tempted despite the je(s?)t stream readings.  But in the end I decided to try and get closer to finishing GIMP-ING my April holiday snaps.  Good that you caught a nice image.  Did you capture any images with Ganymede?...Perhaps still not too late for you to get some!

Unfortunately, it was still too early to get Ganymede in the scene. The seeing wasn't good enough to get any surface features anyway, and the shadow didn't show up until Jupiter hit the horizon.

BQ

#4 Tulloch

Tulloch

Viking 1

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 23 August 2019 - 01:41 AM

Unfortunately, it was still too early to get Ganymede in the scene. The seeing wasn't good enough to get any surface features anyway, and the shadow didn't show up until Jupiter hit the horizon.

BQ

Yes, I find it funny that a few months ago I was cursing that Jupiter was rising so late that it was hard to stay up long enough to catch any images - now it's almost at the zenith at dusk so I need to get home early to set up!

1st world problems ... roflmao.gif

Andrew

#5 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 August 2019 - 02:19 AM

1st world problems ... roflmao.gif

Ha! A common quote around my house!

The ACST time zone works to my advantage for shooting Jupiter at the moment. The noon sun transits the meridian at 12:35 for me, so it's really synched with the NT border with WA (maybe for Kintore?). So Jupiter transits the meridian (at zenith) somewhere between 19:30 and 20:00 local.

BQ

• Tulloch likes this

#6 Auburn80

Auburn80

Viking 1

Posted 23 August 2019 - 12:23 PM

G'day all,

I captured Jupiter right after it crossed the meridian at zenith:

001-003_5.93ppAd.jpg
Jupiter 2019-08-22 10:18 UTC
Skywatcher 180 Mak-Cass
Fujiyama 12.5mm orthoscopic
Canon T3i, 3×1024 frames

Winds were calm and the jet stream was tame, but seeing was mediocre nonetheless.

Cheers,
BQ

Very nice! I'm looking forward to trying out my new 180 so your results are encouraging. You're not in the US are you?

#7 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:13 PM

Very nice! I'm looking forward to trying out my new 180 so your results are encouraging. You're not in the US are you?

Thanks! I can vehemently recommend the 180 Mak-Cass for planetary observing…it exemplifies the phrase "planet killer". With Jupiter through the eyepiece, it has more contrast and sharper details than at the same magnification through my friend's 203 SCT…this is further enhanced with orthoscopic eyepieces. And at f/15, you don't have to go through heroics in eyepiece design to reach good magnifications.

No, I'm not in the US—I'm on the Tropic of Capricorn in the middle of Australia. The ecliptic goes through zenith for me.

BQ

#8 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 August 2019 - 01:04 AM

I took another stab at this one. I wasn't happy with the decline in seeing across the captures, but I figured there were some good frames in the later stacks nonetheless. So I implemented some significant changes in the workflow:

1. Decimated wavelets. I finished up a study today on a shot from 28 June, where I used filmstrip processing on the same capture with 1, 4, 16, 64, 256, and 1024 frames. I found that if I let the 1024 stack govern the wavelet parameters for the filmstrip, to equalize acutance across the stacks I had to scale the wavelets applied to each unsharpened lesser stack by the square root of the ratio of frames.
  2. Common quality stacks (vice common stack number). I've been using the stack number as the equalizer between captures. I had experimented with using common quality, but I had to reach the conclusion in step 1 to equalize acutance at 16 bits per channel before stacking. I used the quality metric of the best stack at 1024 frames to downselect less than that on the remainder. This let me derotate all five captures with a total of ~4098 frames; since I use Photoshop for derotation, I can scale each layer's transparency for stacking.
  3. Deconvolution and Lucy-Richardson algorithm. I applied both to the derotated stack to eek out just a little more detail.

I'll let you decide whether the output was any better:

compare_5.93ppAd.jpg

BQ

• Tulloch likes this

#9 Tulloch

Tulloch

Viking 1

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 24 August 2019 - 01:17 AM

Certainly the modified version - while the original has a dreamy quality to it, the modified certainly shows more details without being overly noisy (IMHO smile.gif).

Andrew

#10 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 August 2019 - 02:03 AM

Certainly the modified version - while the original has a dreamy quality to it, the modified certainly shows more details without being overly noisy (IMHO smile.gif).

That was my take as well. I've actually seen a transition from sharp and constrasty to dream-like and fuzzy in a filmstrip solely due to a sharp dip in seeing. At least now I have a way to recover it…

BQ

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dslr, Maksutov, planet, astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics