•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron Omni XLT AZ vs CG-4 mount for Omni XLT 102 Telescope

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 VulcanNomad

VulcanNomad

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:59 AM

Hello all, I'm a nubie to Cloudy nights and have just purchased a used Celestron Omni XLT 102 refractor without the tripod/mount. I noticed the new kits for the XLT 102 now come with the Omni XLT AZ mount. I need recommendation as to which mount I should get. I believe both are within the same price range. Thank you. Ed

#2 VulcanNomad

VulcanNomad

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 August 2019 - 09:07 AM

I just want to add, that the XLT 102 is the F/9.8 model. I'm leaning to the CG-4 mount.  Any thoughts?

#3 vtornado

vtornado

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 22 August 2019 - 10:50 AM

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I have the celestron 102mm xlt 9.8 version.  It is an excellent scope.

The bad news is it is long and fairly heavy. 

The CG4 can definitely handle it.   But the CG4 is an equatorial mount.  Do you understand the differences?

One, it has counter weight which makes it much heavier than an alt-az, and  Two, it uses RA/Dec coordinates,

which can be learned, but are not as intuitive as up-down/left-right.

If you feel comfortable there is a simple mod you can do to a CG4 to have it run in alt-az mode, but it

is a little goofy and not a true alt-az, but it does work.

I'm not sure the about the celestron ALT-AZ mount.  I see one on-line with the shorter 100mm f6.5 scope, but I don't see  one individually for sale.    Can you buy that mount separately?   From the pictures with the scope, it does not look stable enough to mount the 102/9.8

I have a es twilight 1, and a vixen portamount,  These are not really up to the task either, I can mount the scope, 

but focusing is hard, because the scope shakes when you touch it.

If you are handy you can build a pipe-crutch mount.

#4 vtornado

vtornado

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 22 August 2019 - 10:57 AM

I forgot to mention, that if you do get the CG4, you can very easily motorize it with a celestron logic drive,

so it will track well enough for visual.

#5 treadmarks

treadmarks

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Boston MA

Posted 22 August 2019 - 11:05 AM

I have the AZ mount. I would definitely advise against the AZ mount for the F/10 version of this scope. The AZ mount is marginal for the F/6.5. It does work for that one but there's a lot of room for improvement. I'm not sure if the F/10 would work on it at all.

#6 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Ohio Valley

Posted 22 August 2019 - 01:43 PM

I had the 102mm F9.8 Omni XLT achromat and as mentioned above, it is a long and heavy OTA. The CG4 is within the limit of capability (but toward the upper limit) to handle it. It was though, in my opinion, too much telescope for my Vixen Porta II Mount to handle comfortably. I don’t know about the Celestron alt-az mount but if the Porta II is analogous in capability, I would definitely go with the Omni CG4 mount, however, an even better choice would be the Meade LX70 mount (which I also have). The LX70 GEM is a payload grade above the CG4.

Attached Thumbnails

• 97F1A88B-21AE-4CEF-8125-38A70B9D5BED.jpeg

Edited by terraclarke, 22 August 2019 - 01:47 PM.

• eros312 and VulcanNomad like this

#7 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Ohio Valley

Posted 22 August 2019 - 01:44 PM

And:

Attached Thumbnails

• F598E5AA-4853-4180-8CCF-93AB695EE621.jpeg

• VulcanNomad likes this

#8 VulcanNomad

VulcanNomad

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 August 2019 - 10:14 PM

Hello all, I really like to thank you folks with some really good information. ISS thanks for the fantastic photos. The Omni 102 XLT really looks great using the CG-4 mount. I also like to check out that Meade LX70 mount too. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics