•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Multiple Double Double's in Lyra

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cloudbuster

cloudbuster

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Almere, The Netherlands

Posted 22 August 2019 - 09:23 AM

Inspirated by this topic, I went to look out for these "double doubles" in Lyra.

The first and most famous one is of course Epsilon Lyrae. The colors appear white, maybe a bit yellowish at times. The four stars have almost equal brightness, although B from STF 2382 (down left) may be a bit dimmer. The separation seems to be the same too and I like the fact that the two doubles make a 90 degree angle.

double double.jpg

Then on to the "other double double": STF 2470 & 2474. These are wider and less bright, but still a nice view. The color differences are subtle, but on the pair on the right I see that the main star is yellow. The difference in angle is only 10 degrees, so they appear to be pointing in more or less the same direction. I had already sketched this pair in 2017, but I'll show it again for completeness.

Struve 2470 & 2474.jpg

Less known are STF 2472 & 2473 because they do not immediately appear like a true double double, but they really are... STF 2472 is the whole of 5 stars, of which the main component is yellow. At the bottom are components C and D, which form STF 2473. Together with some other bright stars it's a nice view.

STF 2472.jpg

• Astrojensen, R Botero and ssmith like this

#2 cloudbuster

cloudbuster

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Almere, The Netherlands

Posted 22 August 2019 - 09:24 AM

And the labeled version of the latter:

STF 2472 labeled.jpg

Regards, Martijn

Edited by cloudbuster, 22 August 2019 - 09:25 AM.

• Astrojensen likes this

#3 alvarete

alvarete

Ranger 4

Posted 22 August 2019 - 10:42 AM

Beauty drawns and info. Thanks

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics