•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Laptop Specs for Optimal and Efficient EAA Use

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Indianapolis, IN

Posted 22 August 2019 - 10:37 AM

I'm looking to get into EAA (no long exposure, just stacking and live view and maybe some planetary imaging and screen grabs of DSO's)

I know one spec desired to have is USB3.0 and more than one slot if possible

What are other specs:

-Do I need a bid hard drive or is 256 enough

-Do I need a lot of RAM or is 8GB plenty

Anything else?

Looking at the Lenovo Yoga 730 as it has 3-USB3.0's and 256K Hard Drive and a 11hr battery for under $800

I'd like to stay $800 and under as well. I think if I go HP I can get a $100 discount because this will be the computer my kids use for school stuff as well

Things i'd like it to have

-Good battery so I don't have to plug into alternate power during EAA use at dark sites

-Touch screen with the tablet mode (flipping over for presentation mode)

-Good internals

-Windows 10 (use it at work and love it)

Jon

#2 descott12

descott12

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 22 August 2019 - 10:50 AM

Screen resolution is very important especially if you are using a high-res camera with alot of pixels. 

Large, high res screens for a desktop are great to have an very inexpensive but still quite pricey on a laptop.

I think 8 GB is ok. I run SharpCap and Stellarium and Chrome at the same time with a 12 MB camera and it does ok although it does get bogged down if I try to use the sharpening enhancement in SharpCap. However, I think that is more an issue of the CPU.

Maybe some others can comment on the minimum processor requirements and whether multiple cores helps or not.

#3 Bob_Stan

Bob_Stan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northeast

Posted 22 August 2019 - 10:58 AM

I am sure you mean a 256 gigabyte hard drive as 256K would not be nearly big enough. Personally I would go for a larger hard drive. While 256GB will be fine no one ever regretted having more disk space. 8GB memory should be good for what you want to do. I also doubt the battery will last 11 hours, especially if you are powering a camera through the computer's USB ports, but probably long enough for at least 4 hours of EAA. Also consider your choice of camera.  If you select a camera with cooling you will probably need to power that independently of the USB port, but that is not a big issue. EAA is great and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

#4 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Indianapolis, IN

Posted 22 August 2019 - 11:02 AM

I am sure you mean a 256 gigabyte hard drive as 256K would not be nearly big enough. Personally I would go for a larger hard drive. While 256GB will be fine no one ever regretted having more disk space. 8GB memory should be good for what you want to do. I also doubt the battery will last 11 hours, especially if you are powering a camera through the computer's USB ports, but probably long enough for at least 4 hours of EAA. Also consider your choice of camera.  If you select a camera with cooling you will probably need to power that independently of the USB port, but that is not a big issue. EAA is great and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

256gb yes

#5 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 August 2019 - 09:32 AM

I have an older HP i5 3000 mhz with 8 gig and a 500 Gig SSD. I use it with a ZWO224 and my M43 cameras running SharpCap and SkyTools through ascom on my SLT or Sirius AZ-EQ  at the scope or using AnyDesk and performance is just fine.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics