•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Questar Silver Paint

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 G-Tower

G-Tower

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: PR & GA

Posted 22 August 2019 - 03:04 PM

Is there a spray paint available that's equivalent to the silver paint on the Q3.5?

thanks

Gil

#2 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 22 August 2019 - 03:28 PM

The paint I rely on is "Rustoleum - Painter's Touch - Ultra Cover - Paint+Primer" in "Metallic Aluminum" color.

Making it look the right color is easy.  But no paint will be as durable as the original factory finish so focus on that - when you have taken down be honest with yourself and give it a real fingernail scratch test after curing before you reassemble it. 

• rolo likes this

#3 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 22 August 2019 - 03:46 PM

My only caution would be...

Don't inadvertently grab the Celestron touch-up can. >>>    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 60 questar 7 to celestar camo job.jpg

• Matt Looby, starblue, SGPPV and 1 other like this

#4 Matt Looby

Matt Looby

Apollo

• Loc: Lake Champlain Valley

Posted 23 August 2019 - 12:33 PM

Hahahahaha!

#5 Matt Looby

Matt Looby

Apollo

Posted 23 August 2019 - 12:36 PM

How  is the seeing down in Springwater?

Edited by Matt Looby, 23 August 2019 - 12:36 PM.

#6 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 23 August 2019 - 03:09 PM

How  is the seeing down in Springwater?

That's another picture from my archives! I've had 3+ observatories here, over the decades and done a lot of visual and imagery at 2000mm and up from there. Sub-arc-sec seeing is not unusual, and half-arc-sec is common enough to claim that, on occasions of good seeing and well-behaving equipment. I'm not talking long-duration guiding RMS (which is most always better than that) --- I'm talking actual impulse response core size (most all of the energy) on some reasonable % of very short exposures.

As most of us know, seeing can vary from minute to minute... The best is when it gets great for extended periods... like half-hours of superb quiescence. Sometimes that is with almost muggy-cool strange conditions... but breathtaking planetary detail, Enke gap, etc. kinda stuff. Also the sun... a half-hour after it comes up.

Anyway, I scouted the land-purchase for location on the post-valley windward upslope (near top) of a dark sky rural hill... with plenty of vegetation. And built the domes above ground, with free airflow underneath etc. etc. And that seems to make a huge difference re' seeing! I notice that most friends consider darkness for site location/selection --- but rarely the seeing. Same comment regarding the layout of the observatory itself.

YIKES! This is the Questar Forum. So, in context, I'd say you really want to consider site selection... especially if we're talking the Q-7, which readily and reliably resolves sub arc-sec... even half-arc-sec! Here's the wavefront that I measured on a Questar that was ~hardened~ for industrial use. These are genuine, undoctored AC null-test interference fringes, double pass... So think of the wavefront as twice as good as the fringes would interpret. I love Questars! Would probably buy one... If I didn't already have so much other stuff. Hmmm... ?!    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 05 24-Foot dome Tom and assistant.jpg
  • 68.1 Questar wavefront 90.jpg

• Matt Looby likes this

#7 Matt Looby

Matt Looby

Apollo

Posted 28 August 2019 - 12:18 AM

That's another picture from my archives! I've had 3+ observatories here, over the decades and done a lot of visual and imagery at 2000mm and up from there. Sub-arc-sec seeing is not unusual, and half-arc-sec is common enough to claim that, on occasions of good seeing and well-behaving equipment. I'm not talking long-duration guiding RMS (which is most always better than that) --- I'm talking actual impulse response core size (most all of the energy) on some reasonable % of very short exposures.

As most of us know, seeing can vary from minute to minute... The best is when it gets great for extended periods... like half-hours of superb quiescence. Sometimes that is with almost muggy-cool strange conditions... but breathtaking planetary detail, Enke gap, etc. kinda stuff. Also the sun... a half-hour after it comes up.

Anyway, I scouted the land-purchase for location on the post-valley windward upslope (near top) of a dark sky rural hill... with plenty of vegetation. And built the domes above ground, with free airflow underneath etc. etc. And that seems to make a huge difference re' seeing! I notice that most friends consider darkness for site location/selection --- but rarely the seeing. Same comment regarding the layout of the observatory itself.

YIKES! This is the Questar Forum. So, in context, I'd say you really want to consider site selection... especially if we're talking the Q-7, which readily and reliably resolves sub arc-sec... even half-arc-sec! Here's the wavefront that I measured on a Questar that was ~hardened~ for industrial use. These are genuine, undoctored AC null-test interference fringes, double pass... So think of the wavefront as twice as good as the fringes would interpret. I love Questars! Would probably buy one... If I didn't already have so much other stuff. Hmmm... ?!    Tom

Wow!  Thank you for sharing  Tomdey, I am very impressed.  Up here in Wadhams, the best seeing usually at Sunset, Dusk, or in fog or soupy conditions.  Visually, I have never observed at sub arc second seeing in this neck of NY.   Jupiter has been challenging all summer, through the Q4 (Quantum 4).  

Thanks,

Matt

http://www.cleardark...sRtNYkey.html?1

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics