•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Wood Tripod for 8" Evolution?

cassegrain Celestron equipment mount SCT
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Indianapolis, IN

Posted 22 August 2019 - 03:33 PM

Hello

As many of you know im not a big fan of the 1.5" diameter tripod that comes with the Celestron 8" Evolution. The adjustments feel cheap and i've broke some off before and the legs need to be muscled to extend sometimes. I've thought about getting the CPC/HD Tripod, but wanted to think about a wooden tripod and if anyone makes one that'll fit a Nexstar Evolution

I've heard the Oberwek TR3 is a pretty stout tripod and so is the Berlebach planet

Does anyone make an adapter that'll fit a Nextar Evolution?

Jon

• Gary Z likes this

#2 Migwan

Migwan

Apollo

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 22 August 2019 - 03:49 PM

Can't speak of wood tripods, but have wanted one just cause.   I came close to snapping THIS up, as I have a heavy duty Meade under my CPC.  Couldn't find a used Celestron tripod at the time.  Seems like a good price and your not too far away.

jd

#3 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 22 August 2019 - 03:54 PM

Thanks JD

Those are nice tripods. Super nice action and very portable still. That'd add quite a bit more stability

I did see where Berlebach makes a Nexstar Evolution head plate for some of their tripods. I'll check Starguy to get a price given they are the direct distributor

https://www.berlebac...sprache=english

• Gary Z likes this

#4 Gary Z

Gary Z

Apollo

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 22 August 2019 - 04:10 PM

Maybe call Oberwork?  I hope it does work, because that's another option available, but have to say, I've not experienced any issues with the Evolution tripod.  I've had two Evo mounts now since 2014.    But, doesn't the cpc tripod fit this mount as well?  Just a thought.

Gary

#5 jupiter122

jupiter122

Mariner 2

• Loc: Sudbury, MA

Posted 22 August 2019 - 04:12 PM

“I've heard the Oberwek TR3 is a pretty stout tripod and so is the Berlebach planet.”

I used to have an 8SE with the 1.5” metal tripod and that tripod didn’t seem as stable as the Oberwerk TR3 I currently use with my TV85. Never used the TR3 with the 8SE but in general it seems more stable. The TR3 is also furniture-grade gorgeous. 

Tim

• Gary Z likes this

#6 photoracer18

photoracer18

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 22 August 2019 - 04:25 PM

Almost any tripod that has the holes for an AP ADATRI adapter to mount everything from the AP400-Mach1/2 has holes that will fit either a Meade or Celestron Wedge. Whether that pattern will fit the newer Evolution mounts I don't know.

Biggest thing about those tripods is without a wedge the holes in the top of the tripod are threaded. Now whether they would fit the bottom of the Evo mount after being drilled out I don't know. Even though I have an AP Baader tripod designed for the ADATRI I don't know what the underside of the top looks like.

You might be able to use something like the iOptron Tri-Pier because they make their own version of the ADATRI adapter but using thicker bolts.

Biggest issue is none of these solutions are cheap. Baader and Berlebach wooden tripods of sufficient size usually sell in the $600 range, same as the TriPier does.

Edited by photoracer18, 22 August 2019 - 04:36 PM.

#7 Taylor

Taylor

Apollo

• Loc: Owasso, OK

Posted 24 August 2019 - 11:03 AM

I’ve done it. Search in the Show off your Nexstar thread. It’s near the end.

You need an old Nexstar 8 tripod, as with those you can unscrew the adapter plate from the leg hub that will fit the Nexstar base.
Then make an adapter using some 1/2” HDPE to mate the old nexstar plate to the Oberwerk tripod

#8 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 26 August 2019 - 03:49 PM

So...I got a quotation from Mr. Starguy for a Berlebach Evolution Tripod and it was $599

I believe its the one pictured linked below with a 6" OTA

https://www.fernrohr...evolution-html/

What i'd like to know is if the Uni18 would be more sturdier than the 8" Evolution tripod or if it would be better to find a used $150ish 9.25 Evo/CPC tripod

I'm thinking that the CPC tripod is a better bet. Sure the wood one would look nicer

Jon

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cassegrain, Celestron, equipment, mount, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics