•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mounting filters for a camera lens?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 betelgeuse91

betelgeuse91

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 22 August 2019 - 03:43 PM

Hi, I am wondering if there is a way to mount filters for a camera lens. 

I have 2" filters (Ha, Oiii, idas D1) that I use for my telescope, but if I get a camera lens (something like Samyang 135mm), I wonder if I can still use those filters for the lens. 

My camera is full-spectrum Nikon d5300. 

Thanks so much for help !!

#2 Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon

Viking 1

• Loc: Orem, Utah, USA

Posted 22 August 2019 - 05:21 PM

The short answer is no.

Because the backfocus of the Nikon F-mount lenses, which the 5300 uses, is fixed for the Nikon mount, 46.50 mm, you can't insert a 2" filter between the lens and the camera without screwing up focus.  You could use clip-in filters, if Nikon supports them, or full aperture lens filters.  But otherwise there aren't any practical solutions for 2" filters, unless you are willing to restrict your aperture to 2", then you could adapt your 2" filter to attach to the front of the lens.

Edited by Chuckwagon, 22 August 2019 - 05:22 PM.

#3 betelgeuse91

betelgeuse91

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 August 2019 - 05:59 PM

The short answer is no.

Because the backfocus of the Nikon F-mount lenses, which the 5300 uses, is fixed for the Nikon mount, 46.50 mm, you can't insert a 2" filter between the lens and the camera without screwing up focus.  You could use clip-in filters, if Nikon supports them, or full aperture lens filters.  But otherwise there aren't any practical solutions for 2" filters, unless you are willing to restrict your aperture to 2", then you could adapt your 2" filter to attach to the front of the lens.

I found that there are step-down rings. Those lenses apparently become useful when the aperture is stepped down to f/4 so 2" aperture won't be bad... 

#4 spereira

spereira

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:37 PM

Whatever filter thread size your camera lens is, you will need to step it down to 48mm in order to use a 2" filter, I think.

For example, I currently have an old Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens that has a 55mm thread size for filters.  I ordered a 55mm to 52mm step-down ring and a 52mm to 48mm step-down ring.  With these, I should be able to attach a standard astronomical 2" filter to the front of the camera lens.

One of the rings cost $5 and the other cost $7.  A pretty cheap experiment.  And if it works out - bingo!

smp

• iassin likes this

#5 betelgeuse91

betelgeuse91

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:36 PM

Whatever filter thread size your camera lens is, you will need to step it down to 48mm in order to use a 2" filter, I think.

For example, I currently have an old Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens that has a 55mm thread size for filters.  I ordered a 55mm to 52mm step-down ring and a 52mm to 48mm step-down ring.  With these, I should be able to attach a standard astronomical 2" filter to the front of the camera lens.

One of the rings cost $5 and the other cost $7.  A pretty cheap experiment.  And if it works out - bingo!

smp

I see... Thanks for the comment!

#6 Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon

Viking 1

• Loc: Orem, Utah, USA

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:24 PM

I found that there are step-down rings. Those lenses apparently become useful when the aperture is stepped down to f/4 so 2" aperture won't be bad... 

Yes, depending on the lens, it may actually be helpful.  However, for some lenses, it'd be a bit much.  For example, my 150-600 lens @600mm with only a 48mm opening would be slow at f/12.5, down from f/6.3.  And for big lenses like 400mm f/2.8, it's a no go.  smile.gif  But an f/2 135mm lens would only drop down to around f/2.8, and often would have a bit better sharpness as a result.  So that's totally acceptable.  In fact, if you want to shoot at a slower f-ratio than fully open, the step down rings are a better way to restrict the aperture than the internal blades, which often cause diffraction spikes.  The only big drawback is that you'd need step-down rings for every lens you use, so the solution isn't very universal, unlike a clip-in filter which would work with many lenses.

Edited by Chuckwagon, 22 August 2019 - 08:36 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics