•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Good 10” dob available in Canada

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 mbuxx

mbuxx

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 August 2019 - 04:45 PM

Hello, when I type in 10” dob in search I can’t seem to find anything. What I’m really interested in is the Apertura AD10 but I can’t seem to have any luck finding it?

Is there a 10” dob that everyone recommends, I realize they’re all quite similar but it was the accessories and the fan that really had me interested in the AD10.

#2 scopewizard

scopewizard

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 22 August 2019 - 05:12 PM

Look for astronomy stores. I look for Explorer, Orion and others.

Where are you in Canada?

I can let you know who is close by.

#3 mbuxx

mbuxx

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 August 2019 - 05:29 PM

I am located in southern Ontario, between windsor and London.

#4 scadvice

scadvice

Apollo

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 22 August 2019 - 05:38 PM

This store?

and this style dob?

https://www.ontariot...COPE_p_465.html

I think high Point has a store or at least ships to Ontario...

https://www.highpoin...3xoCtd0QAvD_BwE

The first one is a bit more in cost...

Edited by scadvice, 22 August 2019 - 05:44 PM.

#5 scopewizard

scopewizard

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 22 August 2019 - 05:59 PM

Lots of stores in and Toronto. Khan scope, Focus scientific. A quick search should get you plenty of info. All will ship anywhere in just a few days.

#6 rugby

rugby

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:28 PM

Hello MBUXX:   Try KW Telescope in Kitchener. Have seen dobs in stock there. They will help you. Even better, you can talk with them and others in person at Starfest near Mount Forest this weekend. good luck

#7 mbuxx

mbuxx

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:55 PM

I am aware of the online stores, I would prefer to have shipped actually. However I haven’t seen the scope I’m interested in available in Canada. Was looking for suggestions on alternative scopes to the AD10 if possible

#8 mbuxx

mbuxx

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:10 PM

Hello MBUXX: Try KW Telescope in Kitchener. Have seen dobs in stock there. They will help you. Even better, you can talk with them and others in person at Starfest near Mount Forest this weekend. good luck

Oh man.. i wish I could have planned for this. It seems like it will be a great missed opportunity for me :(

#9 Pogo007

Pogo007

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 August 2019 - 10:03 PM

I also recommend KW Telescope

#10 mrsjeff

mrsjeff

Vostok 1

Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:06 AM

I am aware of the online stores, I would prefer to have shipped actually. However I haven’t seen the scope I’m interested in available in Canada. Was looking for suggestions on alternative scopes to the AD10 if possible

Search for a Zhumell or GSO dob—I believe they are equivalent (just different branding). If it makes a difference to you, the GSO is white rather than black.

#11 LDW47

LDW47

Vanguard

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:48 AM

Lots of stores in and Toronto. Khan scope, Focus scientific. A quick search should get you plenty of info. All will ship anywhere in just a few days.

Focus is in Ottawa, Khan poor service !

#12 LDW47

LDW47

Vanguard

Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:50 AM

I think you might find we are limited to brands in Canada, at least the last time I looked ! SW for sure and maybe Orion !

#13 LDW47

LDW47

Vanguard

Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:51 AM

I also recommend KW Telescope

Their web site has been down for a while ?

#14 LDW47

LDW47

Vanguard

Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:53 AM

Do they still make those scopes ? Last time I looked they weren’t available in Canada you had to find a dealer in the US that would ship to Canada, cost big bucks for brokerage fees !

Edited by LDW47, 23 August 2019 - 07:55 AM.

#15 mbuxx

mbuxx

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 August 2019 - 10:27 AM

I think I will just be ordering a scope and all the accessories I want from Ontario telescopes. Doesn’t seem to be any packages that come with the cooling fan and everything. After some research I see this is a pretty simple mod using a computer fan so I’m not too worried

Edited by mbuxx, 23 August 2019 - 10:27 AM.

• nirvanix likes this

#16 Oscar56

Oscar56

Apollo

• Loc: Summerland, BC

Posted 23 August 2019 - 12:21 PM

For at least 2 weeks.

#17 mbuxx

mbuxx

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 August 2019 - 09:46 PM

I’m interested in these 2 scopes, is there any recommendations on one vs the other? I watched videos on the ES dob and seen complaints the scope bottoms out on the mount. Wasn’t sure if this has been improved upon or not in the more recent years

https://www.ontariot...50P_p_1822.html

https://www.ontariot...ian_p_1453.html

#18 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 24 August 2019 - 07:40 AM

Not sure of the ES (due to complaints of QC), although I like the design better.

#19 mbuxx

mbuxx

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 August 2019 - 08:03 AM

Not sure of the ES (due to complaints of QC), although I like the design better.

Me too, but for more money and possibly some issues I’m not sure

#20 Pogo007

Pogo007

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 August 2019 - 11:18 PM

True.  They are redesigning their site.  Best to email or phone.  Not affiliated but a sometimes customer.

#21 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Mid-South, U.S.

Posted 25 August 2019 - 08:42 AM

Me too, but for more money and possibly some issues I’m not sure

It is the ES 8" that has an issue with the bottom of the tube not clearing the Dobson base properly.  The 10" does not have that issue.  I would choose that one, as you can rotate the tube for more comfortable observing positions.  Know that commercial Newtonians and Newtonian-Dobsons are ideal candidates for DIY.  They are ideal kits for mechanics, for the mechanically-inclined at least.  They're finished only "good enough" there at the factories overseas, yet usable upon arrival.  In addition, a 10" aperture at f/5, its parabola, is going to need corrective and therefore more-costly eyepieces for wider, un-distorted views at the low-to-medium powers.  But then, there are always standard Plossls which will play well with it.

Elsewhere, you expressed an interest in imaging.  You can combine both visual and imaging with a smaller Newtonian and an equatorial mount.

KW's old website was just fine, and filled with goodies, page after page after page.  Why mess with a good thing?

#22 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 25 August 2019 - 08:59 AM

It is the ES 8" that has an issue with the bottom of the tube not clearing the Dobson base properly.  The 10" does not have that issue.  I would choose that one, as you can rotate the tube for more comfortable observing positions.  Know that commercial Newtonians and Newtonian-Dobsons are ideal candidates for DIY.  They are ideal kits for mechanics, for the mechanically-inclined at least.  They're finished only "good enough" there at the factories overseas, yet usable upon arrival.  In addition, a 10" aperture at f/5, its parabola, is going to need corrective and therefore more-costly eyepieces for wider, un-distorted views at the low-to-medium powers.  But then, there are always standard Plossls which will play well with it.

Elsewhere, you expressed an interest in imaging.  You can combine both visual and imaging with a smaller Newtonian and an equatorial mount.

KW's old website was just fine, and filled with goodies, page after page after page.  Why mess with a good thing?

I'm pretty sure the prices and/or items weren't up to date. Hopefully that gets fixed with the update.

#23 Oscar56

Oscar56

Apollo

• Loc: Summerland, BC

Posted 25 August 2019 - 10:26 AM

I'm pretty sure the prices and/or items weren't up to date. Hopefully that gets fixed with the update.

Its a very strange message on their website.  Normally websites are updated in the background then relaunched without closing the old website.  Hopefully they come back.

#24 mbuxx

mbuxx

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 August 2019 - 10:45 PM

I think I'm really leaning towards a 10" dob.  Most of what I see for sale around here don't come with much in regards to eye pieces, and the finder scopes don't seem the greatest.  I think I will be mainly hunting through DSO's after checking out the planets.  Any scopes and eye pieces you guys can recommend for me to get the most out of a 10" dob?

#25 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Mid-South, U.S.

Posted 26 August 2019 - 12:33 AM

Its a very strange message on their website.  Normally websites are updated in the background then relaunched without closing the old website.  Hopefully they come back.

I think they will, as they're currently active on Facebook.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics