•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First scope

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dean B

Dean B

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:57 PM

Hello all. I am going to buy my first scope soon and would like feedback from people with experience. I am interested in a rig designed specifically for the astrophotography of dso's, using my dslr to begin with. I am looking at the skywatcher pro 100ed, I have heard that the 80 is good for ap work but I like the sound of another 20mm for another 100 or so dollars. For a mount I was looking at the skywatcher eqm 35 pro. Would these two items be an adequate start to the capturing of dso's? Thanks for any and all feedback, clear skies!

#2 StarryHill

StarryHill

Messenger

• -----

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:25 PM

I'd recommend the 80mm over the 100mm. It's both lighter and faster (f/7.5 vs f/9) making it easier to be successful with a lightweight mount like the eqm 35. Keep in mind that a guide scope will be needed for most DSOs which will add to the weight.

#3 khng30

khng30

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 August 2019 - 09:15 PM

Hi, starting out same as you. I read the mount should cost more than the scope so bit the bullet and got the SW EQ6-R mount. As the other poster said, go with the lighter lens unless you want to invest a heavier mount. If the mount can't support the scope I don't think you'll be happy with the results. New here too, will try the set up hopefully this weekend. Good luck!

#4 dave brock

dave brock

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hamilton, New Zealand

Posted 22 August 2019 - 09:53 PM

Be better to post this in one of the imaging forums.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics