•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

2019 RTMC Astronomy Expo

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MartinC

MartinC

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Grand Terrace, CA

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:11 PM

Join Us in Big Bear!, 

RTMC opens this year on Thursday at noon, September 19th, Big Bear California. Although Memorial Day was taken away from RTMC, there are advantages to our new date. Weather in September tends to be more pleasant and stable in Big Bear than in May, with fewer storms and winds. Sunset on Saturday night is earlier at 6:47, with moonrise at 11:46pm. We will get deep sky viewing along with Jupiter and Saturn. You will see the summer Milky Way high overhead with the fall constellations in the East. Bring your best telescope to enrich our star party tradition.

Our theme this year is “Change and Innovation” with a terrific keynote speaker, Jerry Blackburn, veteran NASA engineer who worked on all the manned space missions, including Apollo. Friday night, longtime RTMC president Steve Edberg will catch us up on astronomy innovations. Our speaker lineup includes professional and amateur astronomers covering many topics. This year our secondary theme is building stronger outreach and star parties. If you would like to present and share your expertise, speaker slots are available on Friday afternoon and Sunday morning  – talk to us:  program@rtmcastronomyexpo.org.

As always we have vendors with astro-goodies and new products, family activities with conoeing, archery, a zipline, hiking, a kids' activity with an ice cream social on Sunday, and more. We continue our famous swap meet where astronomy nerds can buy, sell, or trade. So dig around your garage and bring us something interesting! The Beginners’ Corner is cooking up some great talks and activities for all ages. We are a family friendly STEM event, and kids enter the Expo for free; Students enter at half price.

So come on up and join the astronomy expo, we have a place for you.

Martin Carey

RTMC President

#2 Teresabip

Teresabip

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Big Bear City, CA

Posted 22 August 2019 - 09:04 PM

And if you've ever wanted to learn about Astronomical Adaptive Optics, my husband (also Telescope Engineer and Chief Observer at Big Bear Solar Observatory) will give a talk on this subject Friday afternoon! Be there!

#3 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 28 August 2019 - 08:04 AM

I'm putting the finishing touches on the Premium AstroImaging Workshop. This year we are focusing on AstroImaging while Travelling. It is a different type of imaging, with slightly different issues than when imaging at home. And, it is type of imaging most of us do while camping, going to star parties, and so forth.

I'm also working on a presentation for Beginner's Corner about what there is to see in the sky, how to decide targets, and so forth. SHould be interesting.

And, one further note......pre registration closes August 31. See  http://rtmcastronomy...o-registration/ for details. You can register on site, but it costs more. 

Alex

#4 tony_spina

tony_spina

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 28 August 2019 - 07:35 PM

New stars and hopefully old friends to share at RTMC in September 

Now if we can get the camp to offer new food menu items we will be in heaven grin.gif

Edited by tony_spina, 28 August 2019 - 07:40 PM.

#5 Matthew Ota

Matthew Ota

Hmmm

• -----
  • Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

Posted 08 September 2019 - 03:23 PM

I cannot attend this year for two reasons:

1.  I have medical procedures that create a schedule conflict.

2. I could not find anybody in Arizona in time to carpool with. I still have no vehicle two years after my truck was destroyed in an accident. Still waiting for insurance settleent from the other party.

#6 MartinC

MartinC

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Grand Terrace, CA

Posted 17 September 2019 - 12:36 AM

Here are some additional reasons to attend RTMC this year:

1. Mathis Instruments, maker of observatory fine quality telescope mounts, are coming and having a big sale. They are bringing up many more items than previous years. This is a real opportunity for serious observers/imagers.

2. Camp Oakes's kitchen has a new menu. Click the link on our Registration page to view, on the RTMC website.

3. Weather forecast looks good, mild and mostly clear with very little wind.

Martin Carey

• tim53 likes this

#7 Mike Spooner

Mike Spooner

Vendor (mirrors)

• Vendors

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:55 PM

Checked into RTMC today and looked to be a fair gathering for Thursday afternoon. Pleasant weather but I'll recuperate from the drive tonight and maybe check out observing tomorrow night after catching up with old friends during the day. Big Bear not as busy as Memorial Day weekend but still surprisingly active! Gotta remember to drink lots of water in the dry altitude.

Mike Spooner

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics