•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

question about the meade 10" lx90

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 donald41

donald41

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: bartlesville oklahoma

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:34 PM

i can buy the scope without the tripod. this is really good for me because if i purchase it i wont to carry it out on my patio and set it on a level table or pier, set down and observe. my question is about the base, is the diameter of the round base large enough to be used this way without easily turning over. thanks, don 

#2 Airlid

Airlid

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 23 August 2019 - 02:06 AM

No the base is not large enough to support the scope on its own, its only about 8" in diameter, it will tip over easily. The tripod has a retaining bolt that screws into the base of the scope. If you secure the telescope to the table or pier with a bolt you will be fine. The bolt thread is 1/2-13 nc.

larry

#3 Peterson Engineering

Peterson Engineering

Vendor - Peterson Engineering

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: RI, USA

Posted 23 August 2019 - 08:23 AM

Agree with Larry.  Also, you'll need a rock solid mount to overcome vibration and allow viewing at any real magnification.

Pete

#4 donald41

donald41

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: bartlesville oklahoma

Posted 23 August 2019 - 08:37 AM

`thank you for that info, i appreciate. don

#5 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 23 August 2019 - 08:47 AM

If you wanted to use that approach for Alt-Az you could make a baseplate out of plywood or other material that was about 16"-18" diameter and countersink and attach to the base of the telescope.  With so attached the scope won't tip over.  Be awere if it is not secured down onto a table or something else it will wobble a bit. 

• fatlightning likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics