•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

JNN 10

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sofee12

Sofee12

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:44 PM

Although I've been in the amateur astronomy hobby since the 70's, I've never had much interest in double (multiple) stars until recently.

While going through the WDS catalog researching some double's, I came across JNN 10.  From my interpretation, the "A" component (mag. 3.50) is the same "A" component of EHR 16, or Lambda Aquilae.  But the bizarre aspect of JNN 10 is that there are no less than 104 entries of double stars, with the secondary component ranging from 12th to 21st magnitude coupled with the 3.50 magnitude "A" component!!  Of course, being in the Milky Way, it's certainly possible that there could be that many.  And every star in the Milky Way could have dozen's and dozen's of pairings.  Should these entries have been edited down/deleted by the Naval Observatory at some point??  Why were so many added to the WDS in the first place??  Another that I found just glancing through the list, LAF 59 (Ophiuchus), has 69 entries.  

Thanks for your help.

DV

#2 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, AR

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:18 PM

I don't know, but it seems that the WDS should edit out confirmed optical pairings.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics