•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Explore Scientific Red-Dot Finder Fix

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Mid-South, U.S.

Posted 22 August 2019 - 10:43 PM

Got a wonky, shaky, jiggling, wiggling Explore Scientific red-dot?  I did, past-tense, but I didn't throw it away, although perhaps I should've.  But no, I "fixed" it, and it was easy.

I brought out my box of Harbor Freight springs...

springs.jpg

...picked out of two of these...

3.jpg

...cut two out of each spring, two longer, and two shorter...

1.jpg

The longer for the azimuth...

2.jpg

...and the shorter for the altitude...

4.jpg

One spring is positioned on each side of that tab arrowed in yellow.

7.jpg

5.jpg

After the clamping-plates are re-installed, you can grab the plates and shake the very devil out of the finder, with no more wonkiness, and with both axes fully adjustable.

Trial-and-error will be involved when sizing the springs, and for just the right amount of tension.  Also, be careful not to strip out the plastic adjustment-threads when incorporating the springs. 

Thank you for looking.

• Joe1950 and Chris Y like this

#2 CeeKay

CeeKay

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver, WA

Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:35 PM

Got a wonky, shaky, jiggling, wiggling Explore Scientific red-dot?  I did, past-tense, but I didn't throw it away, although perhaps I should've.  But no, I "fixed" it, and it was easy.

I brought out my box of Harbor Freight springs...

attachicon.gif springs.jpg

...picked out of two of these...

attachicon.gif 3.jpg

...cut two out of each spring, two longer, and two shorter...

attachicon.gif 1.jpg

The longer for the azimuth...

attachicon.gif 2.jpg

...and the shorter for the altitude...

attachicon.gif 4.jpg

One spring is positioned on each side of that tab arrowed in yellow.

attachicon.gif 7.jpg

attachicon.gif 5.jpg

After the clamping-plates are re-installed, you can grab the plates and shake the very devil out of the finder, with no more wonkiness, and with both axes fully adjustable.

Trial-and-error will be involved when sizing the springs, and for just the right amount of tension.  Also, be careful not to strip out the plastic adjustment-threads when incorporating the springs. 

Thank you for looking.

SkyMuse - what did you do to get the knobs off the screws?  Were they screwed in or were they glued in place?

Such a simple fix for the RDF...

Chris

• Sky Muse likes this

#3 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:31 PM

SkyMuse - what did you do to get the knobs off the screws?  Were they screwed in or were they glued in place?

Such a simple fix for the RDF...

Chris

The plastic, knurled knobs screw on, and it's best to torque them a bit after they come to a stop.  I tested them both afterwards, and they didn't loosen.

• CeeKay likes this

#4 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:43 PM

I ran into a problem when wanting to attach the finder to a plastic, Vixen-type stalk.  The clamping-plates would not compress inward enough to grab the stalk's whatchamacallit firmly enough...

8.jpg

The problem was that the plates' lower, wider ledges were too wide, so I ground both and removed about a fourth to a third of their widths.  Problem solved, and here the finder is attached to the 5" Bird...

127mm f8 Bird.jpg

I will not be using any ES/Meade finder-bases with any of my telescopes; Vixen-type all the way rather.

Edited by Sky Muse, 23 August 2019 - 10:52 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics