•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion Atlas Worm Gear Bearing Reatainer Ring

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stickygerbil

stickygerbil

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 23 August 2019 - 12:42 AM

Hi all,

So I'm am in a bit of a predicament. I was tuning up my atlas, and my retainer ring for worm gear retainer bearing was damaged. Now I need a replacement.  I can fab one as I have access to the tools but I dont know the thread pitch. I think the diameter is 22mm but unsure if its 1.0, 1.5, or 2.5 pitch. I doubt its 2.5 but I want to ask if any one knows what it is or where I can purchase replacements.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190822_221700_1.jpg

#2 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 23 August 2019 - 01:29 PM

It might be easier to cut new slots for the spanner wrench. A thread gauge or a comparison bolt from a hardware store will give you the pitch of the threads.

#3 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 24 August 2019 - 12:51 AM

As long as it still threads in, just clean up the slots with a small file and reuse it.

#4 stickygerbil

stickygerbil

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 24 August 2019 - 06:32 PM

Welp update. Fyi image was the good one. The other one the threads got damaged. I contacted orion, I might be able to purchase them. For future reference M22 x 1.0. I am buying a tap to clean out the locktite and threads. Looks like I'll be missing the new moon for imaging big bummer lol

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics