•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nikon Z filter options

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry Lodriguss

Jerry Lodriguss

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Voorhees, NJ

Posted 23 August 2019 - 03:10 AM

Thinking about filter options for the Nikon Z: clip-in, and drop-in adapter.

Clip-In

I see vague hints of a drop-in filter from SCT, but do they have any US distributors?

Is there even enough room in a Z body for a clip-in filter?

Astronomik makes full-frame Nikon clip-in filters, but I only see ones for DSLRs, not mirrorless bodies.

Does anyone else make a Z body clip-in filter?

Nikon Z Camera to F-mount Lens Filter Holder

Does anyone else make a 2" filter holder than can go in the 30.5mm spacing between a Nikon Z-mount camera body and a Nikon F-mount lens?

I see Baader has this Universal Filter Changer, but my eyes glaze over with the number of possibilities, and I don't see any DSLR or MILR adapters.

I'm thinking of something like this...

2inch-filter-adapter.gif

You could very easily substitute a T-mount adapter in there and hook this up to a scope too.

There is this Kickstarter campaign for Adapter Mount Format Filters, but they don't really have any  serious astro filters for it, and this doesn't appear to be an adapter, just the filters for Sony.

Jerry

Edited by Jerry Lodriguss, 23 August 2019 - 03:18 AM.

• calypsob likes this

#2 sharkmelley

sharkmelley

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 23 August 2019 - 04:18 PM

I haven't yet seen clip-in filters for a Nikon Z6 but it's early days for this new format.

On the other hand, telescope adapters often have threads for filters.

Mark

#3 Jerry Lodriguss

Jerry Lodriguss

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 23 August 2019 - 05:07 PM

I haven't yet seen clip-in filters for a Nikon Z6 but it's early days for this new format.

On the other hand, telescope adapters often have threads for filters.

I was going to ask Baader directly, but they are on their annual 6-week summer vacation like the rest of Europe takes.

Jerry

#4 sharkmelley

sharkmelley

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 23 August 2019 - 05:35 PM

It's worth contacting Baader, Astronomik and STC to see what their plans are. 

We don't all take 6-week vacations here, my side of the pond wink.gif

Mark

Edited by sharkmelley, 23 August 2019 - 05:41 PM.

#5 Jerry Lodriguss

Jerry Lodriguss

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 23 August 2019 - 08:27 PM

It's worth contacting Baader, Astronomik and STC to see what their plans are. 

We don't all take 6-week vacations here, my side of the pond wink.gif

Yes, I have emails out to all of them.

The smart ones do. cool.gif

Jerry

#6 whwang

whwang

Gemini

Posted 24 August 2019 - 11:59 AM

I can ask STC. They even make clip-in filters for Pentax 645z. It’s hard to believe if they don’t have plans for Nikon Z, unless it’s technically impossible.

#7 Jerry Lodriguss

Jerry Lodriguss

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 24 August 2019 - 04:26 PM

I can ask STC. They even make clip-in filters for Pentax 645z. It’s hard to believe if they don’t have plans for Nikon Z, unless it’s technically impossible.

Thanks Wei-Hao.

Looking at the body, I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't enough room for one.

Jerry

#8 whwang

whwang

Gemini

Posted 25 August 2019 - 03:59 AM

STC told me that they are studying the possibility of Nikon Z clip-in filters, but don't give too much hope.  There is only 1.7mm of space available, so it will be very challenging.

#9 Jerry Lodriguss

Jerry Lodriguss

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 25 August 2019 - 04:20 AM

That's what I was afraid of.

Oh well, luckily there is 30mm for a filter, or even a filter wheel, in the space between an F-mount lens and the Z-mount body.

Once we get some good Sigma Art Z-mount lenses, that won't work anymore though.

Jerry

#10 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 October 2019 - 06:10 AM

This is an intriguing thread as I have just spent several hours trying to figure out if I can stick together various adapters to make something like this! I've tried all sorts of combinations including the QHY 02073 Nikon to M54, Baader UFC, the QHY 020076 and all kinds of gadgets whose codes I cannot remember. I have not found a solution that gets me down to the 30.5mm needed, as explained in the OP's very nice diagram. 

I am trying this stuff two ways - one is to get a filter between the Nikon Z and an F lens, and the other is to stick the astro filter on the end of a lens. This I have got working, and I have started to identify lenses where there is no or mild mechanical vignetting. 

E.g. for the Nikon Z camera and the Z mount S-line 50mm S there is a nice solution with no vignetting. You can put the Baader UFC on the end of the 50mm via the M72 adapter and an M62 to M72 step up ring. The 2 inch filter is actually wider than the mechanical obstruction at the front of the lens, so it works. Other lenses can be tried out with the right stepper. So the Samyang 85mm Z mount has a 72mm thread and goes straight on the UFC M72, but needs a DX crop to kill the vignette. So that's about 128mm effective with 11MP on a Z6. The 35mm Sigma Art needs a DX crop so if you have the 50mm S it is pointless. The 20mm F mount lens needs an aggressive crop but you get somewhere between 30 and 35mm field of view. 

I've only got this working this week and made a post on the Z owners FB page a couple of days ago. Zdropin.jpg

This is a hack which works better on some lenses than others. I wonder if it might have a nice side effect of rounding the aperture but have not probed that yet. Ideally the OP's question should be properly answered. I should add that this is using the UFC on the end of a lens the other way round from what is on the Baader web site. This allows me to make an M72 connection to the lens which is closer to my main block of lenses. If you want to block stray light this way round then you can stick on a 15mm S70 adapter on the outer side. 

Edited by UKalwayscloudy, 25 October 2019 - 06:19 AM.

#11 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 October 2019 - 07:02 AM

By the way OP Baader does have a wide Nikon Z adapter for the UFC which I use with telescope with decent Backfocus. The problem is that combination leaves too little space to get an F Mount lens adapter in. Here it is set up for connection to a basic SCT.

Attached Thumbnails

• BBA6BCAA-FC7C-449F-9854-AD60FD7AACED.jpeg

Edited by UKalwayscloudy, 25 October 2019 - 07:19 AM.

#12 Jerry Lodriguss

Jerry Lodriguss

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 25 October 2019 - 01:44 PM

This is a hack which works better on some lenses than others. I wonder if it might have a nice side effect of rounding the aperture but have not probed that yet. Ideally the OP's question should be properly answered.

This doesn't really solve anything for me, from my perspective.

1. Inteference filters don't work with wide-angle lenses in front of the lens. 

2. You will "round" the aperture, but you will introduce mechanical vignetting.

3. My personal opinion is that you are just wasting money and photons to buy a Sigma Art lens and then stop it down, or use it with a DX crop.

Jerry

#13 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 October 2019 - 03:09 PM

Agreed. I’m just running through lenses I have to see what might work. 50mm S was pleasant surprise but wide angle needs another solution. The UFC plan is fine for telescopes with larger BF. I’ll keep trawling for thinner parts for what we really need.

#14 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 31 October 2019 - 10:06 AM

Jerry - wasted some more time rummaging in on-line parts bins trying to create an in-line solution on or below the 30.5mm limit. I was getting nowhere with 2 inch contraptions - about 5mm over budget, but there is a cheap solution for 1.25mm filters which gets you to the 24x24mm square format with minimal vignetting. What you need to make "FasTroZ" :

1. Baader wide T adapter part no 2408335, which includes an inner T2 step down ring. (about £25 in UK) Optical length 8.3mm

2. Geoptik Nikon lens adapter, part no 30A191. (about £85 in UK). Optical length 21mm

These screw together out of the box to give an optical length of 29.3mm, which is 1.2mm below the target. In fact that is the right side and works as is, though you can put in some spacers if you want to tidy up focus ring calibration. (I found a 0.6mm one worked well when playing with the 20mm 1.8 today - infinity focus without a filter is in the middle of the infinity symbol, the test filter of the Optolong enhance had focus on the short edge of the infinity symbol - in principle you can calibrate the system to make any lens you have spot on I reckon).

Points: The Geoptik comes with a foot that is best removed. It's lens interface takes a bit of getting used to but now I have the hang of it I can make it secure in moments. There is a pin to hold open the aperture at wide for those lenses with the right gizmo (Nikon 20mm does). Lenses with aperture rings are no problem, and lenses I have tried without the gizmo can be fooled by removing them from an F body before powering off. 

Attached Thumbnails

• FasTroZ1.jpg
  • FasTroZ2.jpg
  • FasTroZ3.jpg
  • FasTroZ4.jpg
  • FasTroZ6.jpg

Edited by UKalwayscloudy, 31 October 2019 - 10:07 AM.

#15 Jerry Lodriguss

Jerry Lodriguss

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 31 October 2019 - 02:53 PM

1.25 inch filters seem like they would vignette.

Jerry

• GTom likes this

#16 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 01 November 2019 - 05:59 AM

Well last first I thought they would be very poor on that front and nearly did not attempt this route. My main scope has an M68 imaging path with a view to a hopeful medium format camera in the future , and there the bottleneck is the 2 inch filter, but it's OK for now with the Nikon Z. With the 1.25 Optolong in-line I am working through my lenses to see how they do, as it all depends on the details of the optics at the bayonet end. Here's the first one, Nikon 20mm f/1.8. There is darkness in the full frame corners but the 1-1 in-camera square crop is almost free of it. What there is can be sorted in post. That's my main wide angle for astro, and I am usually shooting wide open and cropping a lot of the edges and corners anyway due to lens coma and fall off, so getting the 16.1MP out on a Z6 is fine for my purposes. You do not need to go down to DX with this lens. I am going to do some more daytime shots on other F mount lenses. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Nikon20mmf1.8.jpg

#17 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 November 2019 - 05:01 PM

Jerry - I've been fiddling with the 1.25 system and realised I was placing the filter in the wrong place. I had it close to the sensor for some dumb reason related to thinking I needed to behave like a clip filter. Having moved it to the front, facing to the lens and as far forward as possible the vignetting is minimised and I only get a hard circular boundary on the 200-500 at the long end on FX. For the tele the 1-1 crop is fine. For wide angle here is a test daytime shot straight out of camera on the 20mm 1.8 on full frame. Sigma 35mm Art is similar. I was trying out the Optolong L-Enhance on some autumn foliage to test focus and vignetting. I have fall off but can't really distinguish it from some of the images on Lenstip.

I've also been doing some focus calibration with spacers to account for the back focus shift of the filter (making it out of two pieces allows adjustment for no filter, thin and thick filters), and orienting the thing then with the Baader dovetail to get the lens lined up so the hood is not in the way. So this is mostly working fine now, I've got a plan for a 2 inch version but waiting for the components. [BTW ta for comments elsewhere on modding.]

Image 11-11-2019 at 21.54.jpg

#18 Jerry Lodriguss

Jerry Lodriguss

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 11 November 2019 - 05:15 PM

Jerry - I've been fiddling with the 1.25 system and realised I was placing the filter in the wrong place. I had it close to the sensor for some dumb reason related to thinking I needed to behave like a clip filter. Having moved it to the front, facing to the lens and as far forward as possible the vignetting is minimised and I only get a hard circular boundary on the 200-500 at the long end on FX. For the tele the 1-1 crop is fine. For wide angle here is a test daytime shot straight out of camera on the 20mm 1.8 on full frame. Sigma 35mm Art is similar. I was trying out the Optolong L-Enhance on some autumn foliage to test focus and vignetting. I have fall off but can't really distinguish it from some of the images on Lenstip.

I've also been doing some focus calibration with spacers to account for the back focus shift of the filter (making it out of two pieces allows adjustment for no filter, thin and thick filters), and orienting the thing then with the Baader dovetail to get the lens lined up so the hood is not in the way. So this is mostly working fine now, I've got a plan for a 2 inch version but waiting for the components. [BTW ta for comments elsewhere on modding.]

The 105 f/1.4 takes a 105mm filter. The 1.25" filter in front of my lens is going to vignette. I have tested it with a 72mm filter and it vignettes.

And you are not going to be able to use an inteference filter in the front of a wide-angle lens.

And there shouldn't be a focus shift when you use the filter in front of the lens, only in between the lens and the sensor with a clip-in filter which changes the focus by the index of refraction time the thickness of the glass.

Jerry

Edited by Jerry Lodriguss, 11 November 2019 - 05:30 PM.

#19 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 November 2019 - 05:20 PM

Jerry I have two different systems I have been playing with and gave up on the idea of having the filter on the front of the lens. The contraption shot with today has the filter between the body and the lens. I just had it screwed into the wrong end of the Geoptik part.

#20 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 14 November 2019 - 03:23 PM

I’ve put up a video on YouTube showing how it all works with the 1.25 inch case. For clarity, the filter sits between the body and the lens, and I show some photos showing no vignetting on FX for some lenses.

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=pYlWRDtcevc

The parts cost 122GBP in the UK.

I have made some progress on the 2 inch case and await a custom part from Precise Parts to complete the prototype.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics