•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

No response from Questar

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: GA

Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:03 AM

After various phone calls that haven't been answered and an email to customer service & sales, no response leaves me wondering what's going on.

• agmoonsolns likes this

#2 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:09 AM

It's undoubtedly nothing dramatic.  They're busy and email and voicemail seems to get low priority.  Phone during normal business hours. 

• daddymouse likes this

#3 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:58 AM

I've phoned three times during business hours and no one answers. Left messages two and four days ago and still haven't heard back. I guess all I can do is wait. 

• agmoonsolns likes this

#4 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 23 August 2019 - 09:57 AM

I usually give vendors a few weeks to bounce back. It's just a hobby... not like the utilities have gone down. Questar has a stellar reputation for customer service.    Tom

• Mike E. and daddymouse like this

#5 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 August 2019 - 11:24 AM

Don't rely on messages.  Just call back, even daily.  It's a tiny company with one or two people who answer the phone, and with vacations the phone may go unanswered for days or more with messages to be (maybe) handled upon the vacationer's return.

#6 Codbear

Codbear

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Novato, CA

Posted 23 August 2019 - 12:37 PM

They typically don't change their voicemail message when Jim goes on vacation and, as Ben said, they probably have quite a few messages to return. Next week or after Labor Day I imagine will be a different story.

#7 Cajundaddy

Cajundaddy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Cucamonga CA

Posted 23 August 2019 - 12:45 PM

August is vacation month.  They are probably fly fishing in Montana and will be back soon.  smile.gif

** There simply are no emergencies in the telescope biz.  If you are on fire or bleeding heavily, call 911.  Otherwise the good folks at Questar should respond in a week or so.  A very different business model than many, but it seems to work in the long run.

Edited by Cajundaddy, 23 August 2019 - 12:55 PM.

• cbwerner and MOX like this

#8 Toddeo

Toddeo

Viking 1

• Loc: Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 23 August 2019 - 12:53 PM

Rolo has been able to reach -someone at Questar. I messaged him this morning and he stated that he was able to contact Questar-Today.waytogo.gif

• agmoonsolns likes this

#9 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 23 August 2019 - 05:34 PM

Rolo has been able to reach -someone at Questar. I messaged him this morning and he stated that he was able to contact Questar-Today.waytogo.gif

They finally answered today and gave me a better email address.

• agmoonsolns likes this

#10 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Washington

Posted 23 August 2019 - 05:38 PM

Could you please share the email address or does one need a secret decoder ring/handshake to get it? I have a Questar needing service only I can never reach anyone or get replies to my messages to have it done. I get it, they're busy, but after months of no response it's a problem.

They finally answered today and gave me a better email address.

#11 dougspeterson

dougspeterson

Apollo

• Loc: SANTA ANA, CA

Posted 24 August 2019 - 08:30 PM

This is a surprise. I made a few calls several months ago and just like at Tele Vue I was talking to someone important. However neither EVER answers emails or returns voicemails.

• agmoonsolns likes this

#12 HansD

HansD

Lift Off

Posted 26 August 2019 - 09:04 AM

Hmm... I guess I don’t understand how having a stellar reputation for customer service is consistent with not being able to do something very basic like returning phone calls and answering email. Granted there are no emergencies in our hobby. But it is still a matter of showing respect for your customers that you don’t require them to waste their time having to call repeatedly just to make contact. They should at least respond to let you know when they can help you.

• agmoonsolns likes this

#13 dougspeterson

dougspeterson

Apollo

• Loc: SANTA ANA, CA

Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:08 AM

They do not have a stellar reputation for service. I am only contributing my experience, such as it is.

• agmoonsolns likes this

#14 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 August 2019 - 11:54 AM

I just thank my lucky stars that there even is a Questar that survives to this day to design and introduce new scopes, to service and sell parts for the old ones, and to employ such fine and devoted people who will take the time to answer questions on the phone and dig around for old parts a restorer needs.

They are another an important element of what makes this hobby so enjoyable.

I'd rather they stay profitable, keep working on the new scope, and ignore the online grumbling about obsolete websites and slow customer service (even occasionally by me).

• Mike Allen, terraclarke, Loren Gibson and 1 other like this

#15 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 August 2019 - 02:22 PM

They will get back to you right away if you're a purchasing agent for the government working on a large contract. 

They used to be really good about answering everything very promptly and many times I would call and would literally spend hours happily chatting away with Dr. Knight.  They told me they have really scaled back on staff since computers/Internet/technology allow less people to do so much more. Presumably much of that was office staff.

Making telescopes is kind of a hobby for them now. The whole reason they're even bothering with a Q5 is because there's a big demand for surveillance instruments bigger than 3.5" and smaller than 7".

This isn't your father's Questar Corp. anymore. 

#16 Toddeo

Toddeo

Viking 1

• Loc: Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 26 August 2019 - 03:03 PM

They will get back to you right away if you're a purchasing agent for the government working on a large contract. 

They used to be really good about answering everything very promptly and many times I would call and would literally spend hours happily chatting away with Dr. Knight.  They told me they have really scaled back on staff since computers/Internet/technology allow less people to do so much more. Presumably much of that was office staff.

Making telescopes is kind of a hobby for them now. The whole reason they're even bothering with a Q5 is because there's a big demand for surveillance instruments bigger than 3.5" and smaller than 7".

This isn't your father's Questar Corp. anymore. 

Nothing is your father's______ Corp, anymore. I have had Zero problems with contacting Questar-for anything. Jim R.(at Questar) has been more than helpful and knowledgeable on any subject-concerning a Questar related item.

• Optics Patent likes this

#17 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 August 2019 - 03:23 PM

Toddeo, I am so happy for you, but that hasn't been my experience. What number and e-mail are you using to contact them?

Nothing is your father's______ Corp, anymore. I have had Zero problems with contacting Questar-for anything. Jim R.(at Questar) has been more than helpful and knowledgeable on any subject-concerning a Questar related item.

#18 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 26 August 2019 - 03:38 PM

Jim was on vacation, that's all...

• Mike Allen, terraclarke and Optics Patent like this

#19 BillHarris

BillHarris

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: northwest Alabama

Posted 27 August 2019 - 11:20 AM

And back in the day, long distance charges were expensive and most couldn't afford to chat for hours. And email didn't exist. Long friendly chats with dozens of customers burns up production time. And email tends to be a PITA since it can burn up time, too.
  • terraclarke likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics