•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

using an eyepiece with DSLR - first night doing astrophotography

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 humner

humner

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 23 August 2019 - 08:00 AM

I'm an absolute beginner when it comes to astrophotography. I created a "jig" to house a 0.965 eyepiece and my panasonic g7 lumix.

Tonight I was able to test it out and I could focus in on Jupiter, however I have a few questions about the eyepiece + DSLR config.

There is 2 focusing mechanisms at play here. the telescope focus of the eyepiece, and then the focus of the DSLR to the the eyepiece. I have adapted a helical focus between the DSLR sensor and the eyepiece. This means I can control the focus of the telescope>eyepiece and also the eyepiece > DSLR.

I'm curious as to how these relate to each other and if I have to dial in both in order to get a good image or if I only need to "focus"(excuse the pun) on one of these mechanisms.

Any advice regarding the technical focusing aspects would be appreciated. Cheers

I have also attached my best effort single shot from my experiments this evening. This is unprocessed straight from my DSLR (other than to bring it under 500kb for the attachment rules on CN)

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010112_.jpg

Edited by humner, 23 August 2019 - 08:06 AM.

• numchuck and Swordfishy like this

#2 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Apollo

• Loc: Chesterfield, MO

Posted 23 August 2019 - 08:11 AM

If you have not yet done so, Google "eyepiece projection" and do some investigating.

• Stephen Kennedy likes this

#3 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Soyuz

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 23 August 2019 - 08:15 AM

You set a distance between the eyepiece and the sensor, then adjust the telescope focus to get the image crisp.

Btw, the Lumix is mirrorless, not a DSLR.....

#4 kathyastro

kathyastro

Viking 1

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 23 August 2019 - 09:31 AM

It sounds like you are doing eyepiece projection (no camera lens), rather than afocal (with a camera lens).  Correct me if I am wrong.

For eyepiece projection, the distance between the eyepiece and the sensor controls the image scale.  Increase the distance for more magnification; reduce it for less.  Use the telescope's focuser for focusing after you have set the camera distance.

• richorn likes this

#5 humner

humner

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 26 August 2019 - 06:26 PM

You are right, the Lumix is mirror-less - I used the term DSLR to mean I'm using an interchangeable lens camera.

Thanks for this information! It now makes sense to me as to what is happening between the eyepiece/sensor etc.

Yep, no camera lens. So it appears I'm using the eyepiece projection method. I used this method as I was not able to get the camera sensor close enough to use "prime focus".

I have lots of experimenting ahead.

#6 gkarris

gkarris

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago Area

Posted 31 August 2019 - 09:43 AM

You are right, the Lumix is mirror-less - I used the term DSLR to mean I'm using an interchangeable lens camera.

Thanks for this information! It now makes sense to me as to what is happening between the eyepiece/sensor etc.

Yep, no camera lens. So it appears I'm using the eyepiece projection method. I used this method as I was not able to get the camera sensor close enough to use "prime focus".

I have lots of experimenting ahead.

I finally figured mine out - I just put the eyepiece in the tube then hooked up the camera to the tube and then the tube to the Telescopes diagonal (where an eyepiece would go) - works great:

On C90

#7 gkarris

gkarris

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago Area

Posted 02 September 2019 - 06:04 PM

I finally figured mine out - I just put the eyepiece in the tube then hooked up the camera to the tube and then the tube to the Telescopes diagonal (where an eyepiece would go) - works great:

I found out I can skip the Diagonal...

C90 w/o Diagonal

Edited by gkarris, 02 September 2019 - 06:04 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics