•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

serial number question (and power cord question)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jprideaux

jprideaux

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Richmond, VA

Posted 23 August 2019 - 09:04 AM

I have a 3.5" Questar (I think standard model) that I inherited from my father that I think he purchased perhaps in the 1980s.  Can anyone tell any information from the serial number on the bottom on the base like what year it was manufactured?

serial_no.jpeg

Also, I'm missing the power-cable.  It had been lost over the years.  The connector on the base looks like the following:

power.jpeg

Any tips on sourcing a replacement cord or connector/cord combination?

If necessary, I don't mind opening the base, cutting wires, and soldering new ones.

I did take a chance on ordering a replacement cord from amazon but the one I randomly chose did not have the correct size holes.

scope.jpeg

Edited by jprideaux, 23 August 2019 - 09:04 AM.

#2 evan9162

evan9162

Surveyor 1

• Loc: ID

Posted 23 August 2019 - 09:26 AM

Call Questar.  I know a guy that just got a cord for his 1960's era - he called them up and got one shipped for $16.

• jragsdale likes this

#3 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 23 August 2019 - 11:33 AM

Questar will sell you a cord and a replacement receptacle that fits it for ~$20.

Your handsome scope was made in 1980, and has the premium Cervit mirror material (among the last produced with that material that was replaced by Zerodur), and premium Broadband (BB) high-performance coatings.

It also was made the same year as the 25th anniversary models, and if it were for sale I'd be tempted to use that to make a replica.  The eyepieces may say "Questar" and not Brandon, as this was during the brief period in which Questar made in-house eyepieces.

What are the odds that your father had lost the original plugs that fill the leg holes at the sides of the base housing?  Those flat plugs normally weren't introduced until 1985.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics