•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New setup?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 sheepofblue

sheepofblue

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 August 2019 - 10:29 AM

So I am getting REALLY close to pulling the trigger after a lot of waffling lol.gif

Coronado Solarmax 70 III (~3200) or Lunt LS60THa (~3600)

Both would be double stack (tie)

Lunt is a little more $$ by the time I add a eyepiece (like the zoom), Dovetail and Sol Searcher but comes with a case (tie)

Solarmax has a Barlow available in the series but not a zoom eyepiece (tie maybe win for Lunt)

Generally in reading it sounds like the Lunt is a bit higher quality and easier to tune (Lunt?)

15mm vs 12mm on BF (Coronado)

External Ethalons on the Coronado (no benefit as I have a WO 102 refractor and various white Canon lenses now so another refractor is meh for now)

I was all set on the Coronado III when I saw the updates but am leaning Lunt now.  Certainly I would do some visual but like my night equipment it would lean toward photo.  The system would be mounted on my AVX mount for now which I tend to upgrade within a year or less.

Any input from the more experienced solar folks?

#2 vincentv

vincentv

Vostok 1

• Loc: Costa Rica

Posted 23 August 2019 - 02:58 PM

The coronado eyepieces and barlow are nothing special. They are simple designs and work OK but its not the be all, end all coronado touts. Both scopes use standard 1 1/4 eyepieces so you can use any brand. 

• sheepofblue likes this

#3 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Florida

Posted 23 August 2019 - 03:20 PM

You can't go wrong either way. Both are nice scopes. They're comparable in all ways and neither is an obvious better instrument than the other in most respects.

If I had to choose one, money no objective, I would probably go with the Lunt for the service/warranty coverage alone. I say this because I had to deal with Meade and they're not leading the industry for customer service... Lunt on the other hand seems to personally take care of things, and that matters when you're dropping this kind of money on an instrument like this.

Very best,

Edited by MalVeauX, 24 August 2019 - 08:10 AM.

• rigel123 and sheepofblue like this

#4 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 24 August 2019 - 07:52 AM

I have a Lunt LS80THa and when I bought it, I bought the double stack module.   I was not a fan of the DS module because of the reflections so I returned it and just run the scope single stacked.  You can buy a circular polarizer that supposedly corrects this condition, but the view in double stack is already too dim for high power observation (In my own case, so possibly a subjective issue) and the CP makes this worse.    I also did not see removing the DS for prominence work.   Now if you are content to keep the powers low where where the image is brighter, maybe the DSII and circular polarizer would work well.   They just did not work well enough for me. (my previous scopes were mostly single stack but I did have the Meade Solarmax II in double stack, and once again, kind of dim for high power observing so I guess I am just not a double stack kind of guy.  The reflections in the Lunt DS though were a meaningful issue to me.  

I am quite happy with the single stack and binoviewers though. There has not been that much surface detail, but there has been some decent prominence activity in the last few months.

The new Lunt 80s have threads on the front and perhaps these could be used for adding an external etalon.

Others suggest skipping the Lunt 80 and going to single stack lunt 100.  Now in my case, I wanted to keep it small and light, and simple to use, so I went with the 80, but it was a difficult decision as to keep the 80, or return it too and grab the 100.   In the end, I am quite pleased with the 80 though and seeing rarey allows me to use more power than the 80 can provide.

I love the pressure tuner though.  I really did not like front etalon tuning even on the 60.

• sheepofblue likes this

#5 dscarpa

dscarpa

Soyuz

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 24 August 2019 - 12:20 PM

I've had a single tilt etalon Lunt 60 BF1200 for 10 years that's a keeper and a SM90 III DS BF15 for a few months. Both are excellent scopes as far as build quality, optics and HA performance go. The BFs work well and can be swapped to the other  scope with no vignetting using 100* eyepieces.  I found the tilt tuner on the Lunt and the 90 with one etalon easy to tune. The Coronado took me 10 hours to tune DSs the first time and 5 min the next.  I haven't used the DS etalon much as there's been next to nothing on the disk and prom performance isn't as good with it.  An advantage  of the external etalons there's no sweet spot as opposed to 80% with the Lunt but they do make the scope nose heavy. I can barely reach the inner etalon's tuner when looking in the eyepiece. The SM 70 uses 60mm etalons so it's a 60mm  for HA and it's not nearly as long as the 90 so tuning should be easier .   So far I like Lunt's customer service better as sometimes with Meade I get someone who doesn't know much about the scope For example. I've yet to talk to someone at Meade who knows how to adjust the focuser which isn't the same as the one in the manual.  The focuser hasn't needed adjusting, I like it a lot as I do the standard Crayford on the Lunt . I'm pretty sure the hex nut on the SM's focuser is for  adjusting as it is with the Lunt , the manual shows a thumb screw for it that's not there on mine. David

Edited by dscarpa, 24 August 2019 - 03:21 PM.

#6 bill1234

bill1234

Apollo

• Loc: NJ, USA

Posted 24 August 2019 - 04:22 PM

With the Lunt 60 mm  are you getting it with a  50 mm or the 60 mm  DS Filter?( Know the difference) I have a Lunt 60 with the 60 mm DS filter and love it.

• sheepofblue likes this

#7 sheepofblue

sheepofblue

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 August 2019 - 10:53 PM

Another alternative which is a little more $$ is get a 80mm Lunt with single pressure tuning.  Not sure how much I would hate not having the double tune (photos) vs having 80mm over 60mm.... 

I looked for samples online and I love the double but I could get the 80 then upgrade....  Almost there and thanks everyone for the great input from everyone.

#8 bill1234

bill1234

Apollo

• Loc: NJ, USA

Posted 25 August 2019 - 06:56 AM

I also have the Lunt 80. I had the DS II for it but hated the red glow you get with it on.( compared to the jet black background I get with the front mounted DS filter on my Lunt 60)If I could only keep one it would be the SS Lunt 80 for sure.Way more resolution. Excellent contrast. Aperture rules.No brainier...Go with the SS Lunt 80.

Edited by bill1234, 25 August 2019 - 07:04 AM.

• sheepofblue likes this

#9 sheepofblue

sheepofblue

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 August 2019 - 10:05 AM

On a different tangent....  If/when later I want to view CaK am I correct in saying that I cannot use a dedicated H-alpha scope?  Also could I use the Celestron White light solar filter then add the Lunt CaK BF to it?  

In other words, other than another dedicated scope (like the Lunt 130) what kind of setups do you do CaK with.

On a side note if all y'all feel like you are shouting down a hole I am VERY close to ordering the single stack Lunt 80

#10 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 August 2019 - 10:47 AM

On a different tangent....  If/when later I want to view CaK am I correct in saying that I cannot use a dedicated H-alpha scope?  Also could I use the Celestron White light solar filter then add the Lunt CaK BF to it?  

In other words, other than another dedicated scope (like the Lunt 130) what kind of setups do you do CaK with.

On a side note if all y'all feel like you are shouting down a hole I am VERY close to ordering the single stack Lunt 80

Correct, you cannot use a CaK filter with a dedicated HA scope that does not have a removeable HA filter (such as the Lunt). The SolarMax III series however, are all external etalons that can be removed, which allows you to then have a typical refractor that can be used for any filtered use like CaK or just white light, etc. That's a big pro towards the SolarMax III series in my book. The SMIII 70 for example is a 70mm achromatic doublet with one or two HA etalons threaded on the front that are 60mm. So it's an "all in one" scope in that sense which is great. This is not possible with internal etalons such as with the Lunt (pressure tuned) and older SMII series.

That said, you're not likely to see much with a CaK module visually. Our eyes are not sensitive to near UV and shorter wavelength. It may just be a blank ball of light mostly. CaK is generally an "imaging only" wavelength. If you did go for a CaK module, you may want to put a camera on it so you can view that way. The only real visible alternative is CaH line filter that can be seen visually, but still, not much and we're still not that sensitive to it (such as Quark CaH). Again, I'd just leave CaK to a camera if you truly want to see the features.

Very best,

• sheepofblue likes this

#11 sheepofblue

sheepofblue

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 August 2019 - 11:13 AM

Thanks I am mostly camera now for night.  That was part of why I was wondering if a setup such as the Celestron solar filter on an Edge8HD with the diagonal a Lunt CaK BF would work (for pictures) as I have the cameras etc already.  Just plotting future expansion as I think I am leaning heavy toward the Lunt 80 for the aperture, price to double stack and pressure tuning.  

#12 dscarpa

dscarpa

Soyuz

Posted 25 August 2019 - 03:28 PM

Going bigger and DSing later is a good idea . Using one etalon my CM 90 III shows a lot more than the Lunt 60 on the surface and on proms.  I don't know if I'd have swung for the DS on the 90 if it weren't for the 17% off sale. Maybe get more experience looking through other people's DSed scopes to  see if it's something that you like. Not sure if I'm sold on it but then again the only surface activity since I bought it is a few filaments. David

Edited by dscarpa, 25 August 2019 - 03:31 PM.

• sheepofblue likes this

#13 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 August 2019 - 06:06 PM

I'll take a 60mm double stack over a single stack 80mm or 90mm for visual any day. The increase in contrast is worth it to my eyes.

For imaging, I would take an 80mm or 90mm single stack over a double stack because aperture rules and contrast can be handled in post processing mostly anyways.

Very best,

Edited by MalVeauX, 25 August 2019 - 06:07 PM.

• sheepofblue likes this

#14 sheepofblue

sheepofblue

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:40 AM

Waffling complete lol.gif  I got a single stack Lunt 100 coming.  I could second guess myself until the cows come home now but I think I would have enjoyed most of them.  In the end I went for Aperature and lesser cost to double stack.  I will probably upgrade my mount before I double stack this but the day will come when I do.  One difference I noticed with the 60 to 80 was the 60 needed stuff like the finder while the 80+ were more complete.  Also the 100 came standard with the feather touch focuser.

So while I spent more than my original plan I think/hope this one will keep me happy for a long time.

• Scott Beith and MalVeauX like this

#15 dscarpa

dscarpa

Soyuz

Posted 26 August 2019 - 04:24 PM

An excellent choice! What BF are you going to get? Ther's no vignetting using my Lunt BF1200 with my CM 90 III using 100* eyepieces and only a little when barlowing. The Lunt 100 which is really a 102 may be another matter.  I asked Lunt and was told the BF1200 would be fine for widefield eyepieces but not when barlowing. I'd swing for the BF1800. There just happens to be a  DS etalon for the Lunt 100 in Lunts used section for $1,449 and you get the 5 year warranty on it. Judging by my so far very limited DS experience  if I could use my CM 90 III  only one way single or double stacked I'd opt for one etalon. David

Edited by dscarpa, 26 August 2019 - 04:25 PM.

#16 sheepofblue

sheepofblue

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 August 2019 - 04:44 PM

Ordered the 1800 as I am sure I will do photography with it.

• Scott Beith likes this

#17 bandazar

bandazar

Ranger 4

Posted 26 August 2019 - 05:54 PM

Good choice, the problem with the 150mm telescope is that you have to wait for a good day to maximize its potential.  Which usually only happens maybe one day every 2 weeks.  Normally, the atmosphere is only good up to 90mm to 120mm would be my guess on most sunny days.. and even sometimes less on bad days.

• sheepofblue likes this

#18 bigdob24

bigdob24

Messenger

• Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 26 August 2019 - 07:42 PM

Waffling complete lol.gif  I got a single stack Lunt 100 coming.  I could second guess myself until the cows come home now but I think I would have enjoyed most of them.  In the end I went for Aperature and lesser cost to double stack.  I will probably upgrade my mount before I double stack this but the day will come when I do.  One difference I noticed with the 60 to 80 was the 60 needed stuff like the finder while the 80+ were more complete.  Also the 100 came standard with the feather touch focuser.

So while I spent more than my original plan I think/hope this one will keep me happy for a long time.

Sheep

Congratulation on the new scope.

The 100 with the BF1800 is a great choice. I just got the same setup a few weeks ago and love it.

Its been raining and cloudy here but tomorrow looks good.

I made a cardboard 80mm aperture stop that works well on the days seeing is off, will make something more sturdy soon.

Also found that bino viewing makes an incredible difference in surface detail due to better contrast, if you have one try it for sure . 

I spoke to Lunt about the DS they have for sale and passed. It’s a very pleasing view with out DSing and somewhere down the road when the sun becomes more active I’ll be DSing.

I’ll be waiting for your first light report

BT

• sheepofblue likes this

#19 sheepofblue

sheepofblue

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 August 2019 - 06:12 AM

MAYBE this weekend but sadly lately it is a riches of toys and lack of time and weather here LOL.  For my anniversary work also got me a WO GT102 (I had to pay sales taxes oh gol darn. lol.gif ). And with the weather and family issues have not set it up either yet (hoping this weekend also).  

Do you do any photography with yours?  No binos here but I do plan on running some cameras....

#20 bigdob24

bigdob24

Messenger

• Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 27 August 2019 - 07:13 AM

MAYBE this weekend but sadly lately it is a riches of toys and lack of time and weather here LOL.  For my anniversary work also got me a WO GT102 (I had to pay sales taxes oh gol darn. lol.gif ). And with the weather and family issues have not set it up either yet (hoping this weekend also).  

Do you do any photography with yours?  No binos here but I do plan on running some cameras....

I have no interest in photography anymore. Had a Mallincam years back and used it with my 24” StarMaster , talk about the WOW factor. Will be watching for pics.

BD

• sheepofblue likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics