•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CPC Bearing replacement trouble

cassegrain SCT Celestron DIY mount
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AstroNP

AstroNP

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 August 2019 - 10:49 AM

Hello everyone. I'm doing the bearing upgrade for my CPC 925.

https://www.google.c...c9RgHlb0com279W

But I've run into trouble. I can't get the clutch plate off. I've removed both set screws and the bolt in the center but it won't budge. It does twist a very small amount, left and right, so its lose, it just won't come up. Hoping someone can help. I've tried prying on it, I put a bit of lubricant in the holes to loosen it up, nothing. I can lift the entire scope+tripod by the clutch plate and it wont move.

#2 Point

Point

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: California

Posted 23 August 2019 - 12:17 PM

Wonder if any of these kind of bearing pullers would work? All kinds of shapes and sizes for reference here:

https://www.google.c...iw=1510&bih=931

Regards, Ron

#3 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 23 August 2019 - 08:31 PM

Loctite was used on that clutch likely.  If you have a hair dryer you can put it on it's hottest setting and try to heat the center of the clutch disk up to release the loctite. 

#4 AstroNP

AstroNP

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 August 2019 - 09:04 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions. Fortunately I got it off and completed the upgrade without further issue. If anyone in the future has the same problem, I took a 3/8" allen key and used it pry up the clutch plate from the edges. Slowly move around the edge of the plate and eventually it will come off. Took a half hour but it worked.

#5 VinceV

VinceV

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern PA

Posted 24 August 2019 - 06:32 AM

I needed to change out the nylon bearings a couple years ago because my CPC1100 wouldn't track or move on it's own (HC) at #1 or #2 speeds. Even though the stainless steel bearings were used, the primary source of my problem was due to the large center nut being too tight. Careful consideration was used when reinstalling with the correct amount of pressure and Loctite. It's been fine since.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cassegrain, SCT, Celestron, DIY, mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics