•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Considering a PoleMaster, Is there anything better or newer I should consider?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 scadvice

scadvice

Apollo

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 21 September 2019 - 11:45 AM

I've never had problems with my PM and I use it on two different laptops... one LT is new.

How many people out there are there like me who have one  have no problems verses those out there that do?

I was under the impression (Unverified) that iPolar was made by QHYCCD?? Anyway, how do you adapted the iPolar unit to other than iOptron mounts?? I haven't seen any hardware for that purpose advertised. Has anyone else? Not to say there isn't...in fact I likely could machine up the HW in my shop. 

They both will do the job it seems... So I'm assuming either may be a good option. Again, repeating myself the only thing I see that could cause a problem is the small usb plug they both use, it does not like rough handling and needs to be secured when plugged in.

#27 Darrenlh

Darrenlh

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 22 September 2019 - 01:37 AM

I've never had problems with my PM and I use it on two different laptops... one LT is new.

How many people out there are there like me who have one  have no problems verses those out there that do?

I was under the impression (Unverified) that iPolar was made by QHYCCD?? Anyway, how do you adapted the iPolar unit to other than iOptron mounts?? I haven't seen any hardware for that purpose advertised. Has anyone else? Not to say there isn't...in fact I likely could machine up the HW in my shop. 

They both will do the job it seems... So I'm assuming either may be a good option. Again, repeating myself the only thing I see that could cause a problem is the small usb plug they both use, it does not like rough handling and needs to be secured when plugged in.

I know that sounds reasonable, but work on one laptop but not the newer laptop with the same cable? I would think that rules out USB ports. I do love the polemaster with good frame rate though.

#28 chongo228

chongo228

Ranger 4

• Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 22 September 2019 - 12:43 PM

I've used a Polemaster and Sharpcap. Both work very well and get the job done.

SharpCap is cheaper ($80 lifetime or a $15 yearly fee). Both take about the same amount of time once you get familiar with the process. I now use SharpCap to do my PA. No added equipment to bring/keep up with. It also uses your main imaging camera to align so it tell you if it picks up mount flexing. One time I left something loose and caught it this way. You can't go wrong with either tool.....but SharpCap is the better option.

Also the ASIair has a decent PA tool. Works very well but takes a little longer because of how you have to adjust and then take another frame to get your measurement. SC and the Polemaster refresh in real time.

Edited by chongo228, 22 September 2019 - 06:17 PM.

• psandelle likes this

#29 B 26354

B 26354

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 23 September 2019 - 12:24 AM

I was under the impression (Unverified) that iPolar was made by QHYCCD?? Anyway, how do you adapt the iPolar unit to other than iOptron mounts?? I haven't seen any hardware for that purpose advertised. Has anyone else? Not to say there isn't...in fact I likely could machine up the HW in my shop.

From the iOptron website:

iOptron iPolar Adapters.jpg

Edited by B 26354, 23 September 2019 - 12:27 AM.

• scadvice likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics