•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best telescope upgrade

equipment dob
  • Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#76 Tornado77

Tornado77

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Quebec, Canada

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:22 PM

So I saw saturn with rings, that was pretty impresive but no deep sky objects because all intereresting things were too close from a street light :( 

• OleCuss likes this

#77 OleCuss

OleCuss

Vanguard

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:43 PM

So I saw saturn with rings, that was pretty impressive but no deep sky objects because all interesting things were too close from a street light frown.gif

Excellent about Saturn!

Sorry about the streetlight.

I can remember an engineer once suggesting streetlights have a sensor in them so that when a car hits one it automatically shuts off the power.  The idea was that a mallet to the right spot might shut off the streetlight - I've not tried that and I don't advocate it or even know that it is true.  It sure can get tempting, however. . .

Edit:  I just did some searching.  I don't think streetlights have such a switch but it was an interesting idea!

Edited by OleCuss, 12 September 2019 - 07:52 PM.

#78 Tornado77

Tornado77

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Quebec, Canada

Posted 17 September 2019 - 08:49 PM

Is that dangerous to put a dob in a shed? I like the Orion xt12i/xt12g but I don't think I could climb the stairs with the heavy 50 pounds tube and I need to climb stairs when I enter my house, also I heard that CPU doesn't like temp under 0 degrees.

#79 OleCuss

OleCuss

Vanguard

Posted 17 September 2019 - 09:31 PM

You are unlikely to have a GoTo Dob get into trouble due to temperature.  No damage is likely.

The biggest difficulty at low temperature seems to be that the electronics in the hand controller may have trouble functioning.  Some people will keep it in a pocket to keep it warm if they are staying right next to the system.  I think it is more common to get a handwarmer:  https://www.amazon.c...&ref=nb_sb_noss out and use something like a rubber band to strap it to the hand controller.  This seems to work pretty well - and if I had to do that I'd probably put the handwarmer against the hand controller and then a piece of aluminum foil and then strap it all to the hand controller.  The aluminum foil would be to reflect more of the heat back to the hand controller.

The second difficulty is that if you choose to use a battery, as you know batteries don't function as well in cold weather.

It is possible that if they put the wrong kind of grease into the GoTo version's motors and gears they could get too stiff but I've really not heard of that being a problem.

Since IIRC you indicated you'd be running off mains power the only one that would really concern me is a cold hand controller and I think that the handwarmer trick should work pretty well.  But I'm in a much warmer climate so I cannot tell you that I have actually done it myself.

But feel free to call Orion or Sky-Watcher to see what they have learned about cold-weather performance.

BTW, if I were in the market at this time, had the right budget and were looking at the Orion XT12g, I'd veer over to Sky-Watcher and get the Flextube 300P Synscan instead.  If you just don't collapse the thing it should function about the same as the XT12g.  And you would have the option of collapsing it for easier transport.  It is possible you would have more issues with ambient light but I don't think it would be significant.  Technically, you could put a shroud on the thing and the ambient light concern would be gone - but since there are only three struts/tubes I'm not sure that the shroud would not intrude into the periphery of the light path.  But that's just the way I'd likely go and that doesn't mean you should think the same way.

Edited by OleCuss, 17 September 2019 - 09:40 PM.

• Tornado77 likes this

#80 Pogo007

Pogo007

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 08:38 PM

You are unlikely to have a GoTo Dob get into trouble due to temperature.  No damage is likely.

The biggest difficulty at low temperature seems to be that the electronics in the hand controller may have trouble functioning.  Some people will keep it in a pocket to keep it warm if they are staying right next to the system.  I think it is more common to get a handwarmer:  https://www.amazon.c...&ref=nb_sb_noss out and use something like a rubber band to strap it to the hand controller.  This seems to work pretty well - and if I had to do that I'd probably put the handwarmer against the hand controller and then a piece of aluminum foil and then strap it all to the hand controller.  The aluminum foil would be to reflect more of the heat back to the hand controller.

The second difficulty is that if you choose to use a battery, as you know batteries don't function as well in cold weather.

It is possible that if they put the wrong kind of grease into the GoTo version's motors and gears they could get too stiff but I've really not heard of that being a problem.

Since IIRC you indicated you'd be running off mains power the only one that would really concern me is a cold hand controller and I think that the handwarmer trick should work pretty well.  But I'm in a much warmer climate so I cannot tell you that I have actually done it myself.

But feel free to call Orion or Sky-Watcher to see what they have learned about cold-weather performance.

BTW, if I were in the market at this time, had the right budget and were looking at the Orion XT12g, I'd veer over to Sky-Watcher and get the Flextube 300P Synscan instead.  If you just don't collapse the thing it should function about the same as the XT12g.  And you would have the option of collapsing it for easier transport.  It is possible you would have more issues with ambient light but I don't think it would be significant.  Technically, you could put a shroud on the thing and the ambient light concern would be gone - but since there are only three struts/tubes I'm not sure that the shroud would not intrude into the periphery of the light path.  But that's just the way I'd likely go and that doesn't mean you should think the same way.

Just an FYI that the shroud does not intrude and does, indeed, block ambient light entering from the open sides of the OTA.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment, dob

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics