•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

We need more power, Scotty! Rigrunner questions.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 23 August 2019 - 01:37 PM

I've seen so many references to using RigRunner for power at the scope. What model is recommended. I'm looking for something with 4-6 USB ports and possibly one or two DC output.

#2 psandelle

psandelle

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 23 August 2019 - 02:14 PM

RigRunners are for Anderson Powerpole connectors (really good and easy to make). You can add 5v USB output to that if you want, but they are all 12v Powerpole outlets. Powerwerx is a great place to look at Powerpole stuff: https://powerwerx.co...er-distribution [NOTE: THIS IS WRONG...some RigRunners have USB power...my bad!]

I was told when I first visited the Powerwerx facility that for my needs in astro, a splitter would work just fine, no need for individual fusing (as the RigRunners do), so I put a fuse on the main to the splitter, and have not looked back. I'd couple that with a Startech industrial USB hub, and have done that for six years.

I have just started playing with the Pegasus Astro Ultimate Powerbox V2: https://pegasusastro...te-powerbox-v2/ It has USB ports, power ports, a focus motor controller AND software to control it all. It cut my cabling way down. But there are a couple hiccups I'm working out with them at the moment. Minor, but I'm sorting. That's another way to go.

Paul

Edited by psandelle, 23 August 2019 - 03:57 PM.

• Ares69 likes this

#3 OleCuss

OleCuss

Vanguard

Posted 23 August 2019 - 02:28 PM

Well. . .

Actually, I have the RigRunner 4004 in my observatory.  It does have 2 USB power outlets along with 5 12-volt Powerpole outlets.

So you can, indeed, get a RigRunner with USB outlets.  I don't know of any with more than 2 of the USB outlets but they could easily have them without my knowledge.

Edit:

That Pegasus Ultimate PowerBox sure does look good!  The price is not so easy on the wallet. . .

Edited by OleCuss, 23 August 2019 - 02:43 PM.

• psandelle likes this

#4 Ares69

Ares69

Ranger 4

Posted 23 August 2019 - 02:32 PM

I would second the Pegasus UPB option. I have V1... works like a charm and I power everything, focuser/rotator, miniPC, camera,dew heater, Flip-Flat. Just one power cable from the ground to it, all other cables are on the OTA

You can switch on/off each power outlet, reboot the USB Hub

Integrated environmental monitor

Nicer and cleaner than before

waytogo.gif

2019-08-23_20-28-01.jpg

2019-08-23_20-34-49.jpg

Edited by Ares69, 23 August 2019 - 08:36 PM.

#5 Rustler46

Rustler46

Viking 1

• Loc: Coos Bay, Oregon

Posted 23 August 2019 - 02:54 PM

I've seen so many references to using RigRunner for power at the scope. What model is recommended. I'm looking for something with 4-6 USB ports and possibly one or two DC output.

RigRunner is a West Mountain Radio product. Check out their RigRunner line here.

The principal advantage in using something like this is the powerpole connectors they employ. This method of DC power connections is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. These are so superior to the ubiquitous cigarette lighter plugs that I've cut off C.L. plugs on all my DC devices and replaced with powerpole connectors. Also buy (or borrow) the powerpole crimp tool. It produces a superior connection, even recommended over soldering. I have never regretted getting that tool. 

Back to your original question. The maximum number of USB charge outlets on a RigRunner is two. But you can get 12 volt to USB charger devices that could be powered by one of the RigRunner powerpole outlets. Right off hand I don't know of any of these that don't have the cigarette lighter input. But a quick internet search for "12 volt USB charger" turned up many options. If you want USB data ports, you'll need a hub as some others have mentioned.

All of my 12 volt DC loads at the telescope (Losmandy G-11 mount, Dewbuster) are fed through powerpole connectors. If you have just a small number of devices needing DC power, you could dispense with getting the RigRunner and just use powerpole connectors. But the RigRunner is handy in having an easily accessible fuse for each powered line. 

By the way West Mountain Radio is not always the least expensive source. I've found PowerWerx to be a good source as well. I use the RigRunner 4004 USB on my camp trailer, and power poles on my Ham radio rig and telescope devices. It's the best solution in my humble opinion (in case you couldn't tell).

Edited by Rustler46, 23 August 2019 - 06:09 PM.

#6 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 23 August 2019 - 03:26 PM

I have done a whole series of post on my Rig and the upgrade that I have done. This is the latest:

https://www.cloudyni...g-and-upgrades/

This is my latest revision of my powerpole/rigrunner setup. I made the switch to powerpoles and rigrunner about two years ago and it is one the best investments and changes I made to my setup. 

This was the post with I first made the switch. 

https://www.cloudyni...us-controllers/

I have a miniPC on my pier and run all the power through powerpoles and rig runners. I also build a 12V 90AHr rechargeable battery box with powerpole equipment so that I can easily switch to a battery if I ever go to a dark site. Only have to attach the powerpoles to the 12V battery rather than the 12 powersupply. Powerwerks is a great company and the products are very high quility. It will take a bit of investment,, but its extendable and coustomizable as you go forward.

Highly recommend it.

#7 dhaval

dhaval

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Round Rock, TX

Posted 23 August 2019 - 03:32 PM

Just as good....I have two of these at our remote observatory. Both have been working like champs! 

CS! 

#8 psandelle

psandelle

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 23 August 2019 - 03:56 PM

Well. . .

Actually, I have the RigRunner 4004 in my observatory.  It does have 2 USB power outlets along with 5 12-volt Powerpole outlets.

So you can, indeed, get a RigRunner with USB outlets.  I don't know of any with more than 2 of the USB outlets but they could easily have them without my knowledge.

Edit:

That Pegasus Ultimate PowerBox sure does look good!  The price is not so easy on the wallet. . .

My bad! I sit corrected! Shows what happens when I don't double-check my sources. Please take one shot off my score in life, please.

Paul

#9 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 23 August 2019 - 04:51 PM

I  don't believe RigRunners have USB data ports. Some have a couple of USB power ports, which an be used to charge/power devices that power off of USB, but I am not sure I've ever encountered a RigRunner with a USB HUB, which has ports as well as a USB connection to a computer...

RigRunners are about power distribution. You will likely still need a USB Hub for data distribution. RigRunners are PowerPole-connector based little power distribution boxes that have a single (usually fused) power input, and multiple (possibly individually fused) power outputs. You use them to simplify how you power your equipment. Usually, you put the RigRunner on the scope somewhere, along with a USB hub, and distribute power and data to all devices (cameras, focusers, etc.) from there. You then just have to pull off one data and one power cable from those to actually plug into the mains power and computer. These two cables are easier to manage, less prone to cable snag issues, etc. 

• Rustler46 likes this

#10 pfile

pfile

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 23 August 2019 - 05:46 PM

there's this box from Modern Robotics that has 8 powerpole outputs and a usb hub... but the usb hub is only capable of USB1 speeds which is a real drag. i use it anyway since the download times for an 8300M are still tolerable.

rob

whoops, sorry, it's 6 powerpole outputs; only problem is there's no individual fuses so i had to make power cables with inline fuses...

https://modernroboti...ibution-module/

Edited by pfile, 23 August 2019 - 05:49 PM.

#11 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 23 August 2019 - 08:46 PM

Thanks. It's starting to make sense now. I have a Stellarmate coming and wanted to figure out how to minimize the cables going to my scope and cameras. I figure I'll be using ASI guide cameras and an ASI 294color for most of my imaging. Still looking at options for autofocus.

• psandelle likes this

#12 elmiko

elmiko

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 24 August 2019 - 10:19 AM

Chunzehui F-1005 9 Port 40A Connector Power Splitter Distributor Source Strip, 1 Input and 8 Output.

Check this one out on Amazon. 59.00 bucks. I lot less expensive than the Rig Runner brand. I've been using it for over a year now, no problems.

Mike

Attached Thumbnails

• 810rVSOVEhL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by elmiko, 24 August 2019 - 10:21 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics