•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Inter-pupillary distance fine? Don't forget your nose!

binoculars
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 25585

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 23 August 2019 - 03:40 PM

A semi-caution. I have several pairs of binoculars, (and had to sell two), where their inter-pupillary distance was fine, BUT the outer diameter of its eyepiece turrets, large modern eye lenses, pinch or squeeze my nose (my girl says its "cute"). So inter-nasal distance is important too!

Due to buying long eye relief binoculars as I wear glasses, I hold those binoculars down-nose a bit, but that lets back light in so can be a nuisance.

With my binoviewers, I find Baader Morpheus, Pentax XW and Vixen LVW eyepieces too broad, so have gone for Nikon SW, Vixen LV and plossls generally. TV Delites may just be OK.

• J1M likes this

#2 J1M

J1M

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: N.Ireland

Posted 23 August 2019 - 04:05 PM

Very true, my nose bridge is a tad on the broad side so I know only too well the hassle when selecting suitable EP's.
  • 25585 likes this

#3 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 23 August 2019 - 04:10 PM

Due to buying long eye relief binoculars as I wear glasses, I hold those binoculars down-nose a bit, but that lets back light in so can be a nuisance.

One of the major nuisances of long eye relief eyepieces is that it takes more effort to block extraneous ambient light...even in a dark sky with nothing but star light and planets to contend with.  With filters it is even more noticeable since the background in the eyepiece can be as much as 100 times dimmer (5 magnitudes) than even pristine night sky.

• 25585 likes this

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 23 August 2019 - 05:28 PM

For me, the culprit has been the large diameter of the twist up "eye cup.". With one pairs of binoculars that was otherwise satisfactory, I just removed the assemblies and replaced them with some rubber eye cups from the parts box.

Much nicer..

Jon

• hallelujah and Cali like this

#5 Cali

Cali

Viking 1

• Loc: Bay Area

Posted 23 August 2019 - 05:55 PM

For me, the culprit has been the large diameter of the twist up "eye cup.". With one pairs of binoculars that was otherwise satisfactory, I just removed the assemblies and replaced them with some rubber eye cups from the parts box.

Much nicer..

Jon

Jon

How did you remove the assemblies?

- Cal

#6 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:02 PM

Jon

How did you remove the assemblies?

- Cal

Cal:

The binos were some 10x42 Atlas's.

If I remember correctly, the twist up cups had rubber covers that could be removed. Underneath were three tiny screws that I removed and then everything came apart.

I suspect there are several different designs.

Jon

• Cali likes this

#7 shredder1656

shredder1656

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:22 PM

I feel your pain. I sold a nice pair of Audobons for this very reason. I might end up selling my Fujinon 16x70s for the same. Hopefully not, though.

#8 Mad Matt

Mad Matt

Vanguard

• Loc: Frankfurt, Germany

Posted 27 August 2019 - 05:25 AM

I feel your pain. I sold a nice pair of Audobons for this very reason. I might end up selling my Fujinon 16x70s for the same. Hopefully not, though.

Before you sell them, you might want to think about this hack: https://www.cloudyni...and-a-big-nose/

• paulsky and shredder1656 like this

#9 paulsky

paulsky

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 August 2019 - 09:23 AM

In fact, I am currently thinking of buying a good 10x50, Fujinon or APM, Lunt ... and the fact is that this topic gives me a lot of thought ..
I do not want, and this I have clear, observe with discomfort ..

Paul

#10 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 27 August 2019 - 10:37 AM

Paul, if you're living in the EU then you may benefit from the currently favourable exchange rate to the British Pound (that's how I got my Zeiss 10x42).

You could, for example, own the finest 10x50 ever made for about €1500 :  https://www.ffordes....-el-swarovision

It's still a lot of money, but you would never again have to buy anything else in that size range.

• paulsky likes this

#11 shredder1656

shredder1656

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 28 August 2019 - 04:56 AM

Before you sell them, you might want to think about this hack: https://www.cloudyni...and-a-big-nose/

Thanks, Matt.  I actually decided to sell these, but might (hopefully) replace them someday.  Need the cash for unexpected travel expenses.  Drop in the bucket, but every little bit helps.  

These are great binoculars and this hack would definitely help.  bookmarking to make sure I can find it when I replace them down the road.

• Mad Matt likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: binoculars

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics