•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Manual rotation in SGP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Becomart

Becomart

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:08 PM

I haven’t used frame and focus much in SGP as I usually find inputting on the cog in the sequence window works well enough. However, tonight, I was imaging something that will only just fit in my frame so had a look at the manual rotation option. I tried to guess the angle and clicked next - still a little off so kept going. I think after a few tries, SGP gave up on me and carried on with the sequence. I was only around 8 degrees out. Am I using this feature correctly or are there tips and tricks I’m missing?

#2 bmhjr

bmhjr

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:35 PM

You can set the tolerance in degrees and also set the number of failed plate solve attempts before it gives up. I think I set the angle to <= 1.5 degrees and fail after 5 attempts. That seems to work for me. I also made a crude scale in increments of 10 degrees that I put around the focuser. It really helps to assist in rotating the correct amount within a few degrees.
  • Becomart and Dynan like this

#3 fetoma

fetoma

Gemini

• Loc: Southern NJ

Posted 24 August 2019 - 09:38 AM

I'd love to hear more about this subject, especially concerning how to rotate the camera accurately and not have to plate solve 5 times. Digital level? Degree marks on the focuser?

#4 bmhjr

bmhjr

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 24 August 2019 - 02:53 PM

I'd love to hear more about this subject, especially concerning how to rotate the camera accurately and not have to plate solve 5 times. Digital level? Degree marks on the focuser?

I took a strip of gaffers tape and used a marker to make a scale in 10 degree increments.  Wrapped that around the focuser collar.  Nothing fancy.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics