•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A Binoviewer for my Questar?

Maksutov eyepieces accessories
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Antares

Antares

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Chicago suburbs

Posted 23 August 2019 - 08:42 PM

I am retired, and as often happens with age, my eyes are not as good as they once were. Specifically, I have problems observing the Moon and planets (particularly Jupiter) because of glare and floaters in my eye. I am considering the purchase of a binoviewer for my Questar 3.5 Standard because I’ve read that when both eyes are used, the effect of floaters is greatly diminished.

However, I am a bit overwhelmed by the choices that exist with binoviewers and the best eyepieces to use with them.

• First, I am inclined to attach the binoviewer to the axial port of my Questar so that I can retain the regular eyepiece for casual glances and the use of Q’s finder. That means that I will need to purchase Questar’s 1.25" Mirror Diagonal. I already own the required swivel coupling set.
  • Secondly, I am inclined to use Questar Brandons for eyepieces. Since I already own one of each, buying a binoviewer would only require me to purchase an additional Brandon or two.

I would appreciate any suggestions and guidance from Questar owners who have used binoviewers, particularly in regard to the best brands to purchase. Price is not a big factor for me; I’d rather get good optics to match those of my Q rather than skimp on quality.

Thanks in advance for your kind assistance.

Bart

#2 Cali

Cali

Viking 1

• Loc: Bay Area

Posted 23 August 2019 - 09:10 PM

Bart

Check out this CN thread on the Arcturus Binoviewer.

- Cal

#3 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 23 August 2019 - 10:15 PM

I just ordered one of these for my 127 and 150 Maks. 

Frank

• Cali likes this

#4 Cali

Cali

Viking 1

• Loc: Bay Area

Posted 23 August 2019 - 11:42 PM

I just ordered one of these for my 127 and 150 Maks. 

Frank

Frank

Be sure to ping me after you get to check out the Arcturus Binoviewer.

- Cal

#5 Mike E.

Mike E.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Moonstone Observatory

Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:49 AM

Personally, I find using our binoviewer in the 3 1/2" Questar an awkward and unwieidly proposition from either the axial port or the eyepiece holder; it just doesn't feel right, even with the needed counterweight. On our Q7 the Vernonscope binoviewer has been a superb addition and is used 99% of the time.

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from using a binoviewer, just expressing my personal view. 

Attached Thumbnails

• PICT0001(Medium).JPG
  • PICT0039 (Medium).JPG

• Erik Bakker likes this

#6 RMay

RMay

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NorCal

Posted 24 August 2019 - 09:55 AM

On a whim, I purchased an Arcturus binoviewer late last night, when I should have been sleeping.

It should arrive in a few days and I’ll post comments. Despite some negative comments, I’m anxious to see how it works for lunar and planetary viewing, as the reviews have ranged from fairly positive to downright glowing.

Ron

#7 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 24 August 2019 - 12:57 PM

I'll be interested in your comments Ron.  Mine should be here next week. And yes to Mike E. - binoviewers and 2" eyepieces can cause balance havoc with small, lightweight scopes!

Frank

• RMay likes this

#8 RMay

RMay

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 August 2019 - 08:17 PM

Hi Frank, with pleasure... 👍👍

Ron

#9 Antares

Antares

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Chicago suburbs

Posted 24 August 2019 - 10:19 PM

But what I really would like to do is purchase a nice binoviewer for a new Questar 5!! That would likely mitigate the balance problems of the smaller Q 3.5.

One can dream, can’t they? Maybe I’ll live to see it!

Bart

#10 Kevin Barker

Kevin Barker

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Auckland, NZ

Posted 25 August 2019 - 01:40 AM

As well as balance issues I have found binoviewing with small apertures difficult. One of the main factors is the small exit pupil and getting ones eyes aligned, focused etc. The larger the exit pupil the easier this seems to be. Binoviewing is also limited by the seeing, but I find you can go to a smaller exit pupil with one eye.

Once one gets to 5 inches and above binoviewing gets easier. Using my Im703 for example is very pleasant.

And yes you can see more because of the way our brain adapts to two eyes. The contrast improves with two eyes. And you seem to be able to see more at a lower power. I would not use binoviewing for DSO's.

• Matt Looby likes this

#11 ehallspqr

ehallspqr

Messenger

• Loc: Port Townsend, WA. USA

Posted 25 August 2019 - 12:26 PM

Binoviewers really do work better on larger aperture scopes. These are big and awkward to use on the little Questar but has been done with some success. Your future idea to use it on the Q5 is probably a better plan. I have the Baader Mark V and it is an excellent optically and mechanically, German made Binoviewer. I did a fair amount of research online and Baader kept coming up as a good choice. An expensive but solid choice. I’m older and my eyes need all the help they can get. It’s so much nicer and easier on the eyes using a Binoviewer when circumstances allow. Using one will allow you to see more detail and of course the stereo effect is enhanced. There are a couple of excellent threads on CN discussing in detail the choices out there along with the pros and cons

#12 Kevin Barker

Kevin Barker

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Auckland, NZ

Posted 25 August 2019 - 12:58 PM

I also have a Baader v. It is a heavy bino-viewer with prism on my 5 inch apo. If using the Barlow's it can be fiddly to set up .With my 7 inch Mak I use it without barlow .Balancing a fork mounted Q3.5 would be a challenge.
Images are good. I use mine with TV plossls.

Edited by Kevin Barker, 25 August 2019 - 02:49 PM.

#13 RMay

RMay

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 August 2019 - 07:33 PM

Hi all, my Arcturus binoviewer arrived today. At first glance, it looks quite well constructed (I have *not* looked through it yet). Some quick details: price was around $170 plus shipping, which was lighting fast, taking 3-4 days to get here from NY. The binoviewer with included eyepieces weighs 1 lb 7 oz, and the 95mm lens cap with red light finder I added for balance tips the scales at 8 5/8 ounces, so it's a bit bottom heavy. I'll see what it feels like tonight when I bring it out for a look at Jupiter and Saturn, both unfortunately under cloudy skies.

Stay tuned...

Ron

Attached Thumbnails

• BV2.jpg

• Mak2007, ehallspqr and rcwolpert like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Maksutov, eyepieces, accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics