•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Show Us Your Dobsonian Riser Platform

dob DIY equipment
  • Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Dana in Philly

Dana in Philly

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Delaware Valley

Posted 24 August 2019 - 08:02 AM

I'm considering building a small platform to raise my 10" ES truss dob off the ground a bit. You know, something like a dob pod but home-built. Interested in how others have tackled this issue. 

I was thinking something with three legs, adjustable feet with good-sized circular pads on 'em, and a circular platform on top.

How have you folks done it? Pictures, please.

#2 dfie515024

dfie515024

Lift Off

Posted 24 August 2019 - 04:19 PM

This might work for you: But 4 legs instead of three, dimensions not right? From Amazon.

I am using the plastic Miles Kimball Outdoor Mobility Step--$36.99--19-1/4X15-1/2x4.

Says 4 lbs but feels lighter.

I could push one leg into the ground if soft enuf and level it, but haven't had to yet. (I have a 10" DobStuff from Dennis Steele)

Homemade would be nice too, just so it doesn't get too heavy.

#3 nof

nof

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Israel

Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:00 PM

Hello,

I keep this 12" Skywatcher in my observatory on our porch and wheel it out when I want to view. It both raises the scope and makes it easier to move around. It has three-point leveling. It was custom made for me to my specs by a local machinist. The observatory has a roll-off roof and a permanent pier and mount which I use for viewing or sometimes photography. I used to take out the 12" to dark sites but it got to be too much to move by myself so I decided to use it from the house. For dark site viewing, I take my 10" Teeter STS which I got just recently.

I'm very happy with the rolling platform.

Hope you find a good solution for what you need.

Attached Thumbnails

• 12 Skywatcher small.jpeg

• 25585 and Dana in Philly like this

#4 Napp

Napp

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida, USA

Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:23 PM

Not a work of art but gets the job done.  Also minimizes the things you can bump your toes into.  lol.gif  Topview and underside shown to show construction.  It’s extremely stable with my 10” Zhumell on top.  Works really well on uneven and sloping surfaces.  Just shim the leg that needs it.

Attached Thumbnails

• EADC3370-6687-491E-9F0F-C7733F9E9806.jpeg
  • A2A4C160-800B-4F14-A713-BE8D96DAA39D.jpeg

Edited by Napp, 24 August 2019 - 05:25 PM.

• izar187 and Dana in Philly like this

#5 Dana in Philly

Dana in Philly

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 25 August 2019 - 01:01 PM

Hello,

I keep this 12" Skywatcher in my observatory on our porch and wheel it out when I want to view. It both raises the scope and makes it easier to move around. It has three-point leveling. It was custom made for me to my specs by a local machinist. The observatory has a roll-off roof and a permanent pier and mount which I use for viewing or sometimes photography. I used to take out the 12" to dark sites but it got to be too much to move by myself so I decided to use it from the house. For dark site viewing, I take my 10" Teeter STS which I got just recently.

Whoa, look at that. Pretty neat. Looks extremely stable.

#6 Dana in Philly

Dana in Philly

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 25 August 2019 - 01:03 PM

Not a work of art but gets the job done.  Also minimizes the things you can bump your toes into.  lol.gif  Topview and underside shown to show construction.  It’s extremely stable with my 10” Zhumell on top.  Works really well on uneven and sloping surfaces.  Just shim the leg that needs it.

Excellent bracing.

• Napp likes this

#7 Roragi

Roragi

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Orion arm

Posted 26 August 2019 - 05:57 AM

One question, who needs to climb the ladder in such a small scope ? If you are basketball players, then I delete my question.

#8 Napp

Napp

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 August 2019 - 06:46 AM

Nope, not a basketball player.  Just not wanting to have to bend over so far all the time.  Really matters when you get a little older.

• Dana in Philly likes this

#9 Dana in Philly

Dana in Philly

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 26 August 2019 - 06:51 AM

Can confirm.

• Napp likes this

#10 Roragi

Roragi

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Orion arm

Posted 26 August 2019 - 07:47 AM

It was simply curiosity, for me astronomical observation is always comfortable and relaxed, that is achieved while sitting.

• Sarkikos and jeffmac like this

#11 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Vanguard

Posted 26 August 2019 - 11:20 AM

It was simply curiosity, for me astronomical observation is always comfortable and relaxed, that is achieved while sitting.

It’s as you say for me also.  However, the problem or pain, for me is when I have to position my head alongside the OTA to look through my zero-power finder.  My 10” DOB is too low for comfort. I’d like to have it maybe 12 to 14 inches higher.  At that height I’d get the comfort I need and still be able to use my observing chair to sit while I observe. 

• izar187, Napp and Dana in Philly like this

#12 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Vanguard

Posted 26 August 2019 - 11:30 AM

I might build one of these.  Only change I’ll make is to make the bottom of the legs more pointy so that they’ll fit into my anti-vibration pads.  

What at did you use for the white feet holders?

#13 Napp

Napp

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 August 2019 - 12:06 PM

I use an observing chair.  Raising the dob a foot higher puts it in a much better position for the observing chair.  Also helps tremendously with sighting through the Telrad.  I also use a 4 inch riser for the Telrad.  My neck seems to have lost some flexibility since I entered my sixties.  My observing is much more comfortable and my neck relaxed with the riser.  😁

Edited by Napp, 26 August 2019 - 12:10 PM.

• izar187 and SteveG like this

#14 Napp

Napp

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 August 2019 - 12:08 PM

I might build one of these.  Only change I’ll make is to make the bottom of the legs more pointy so that they’ll fit into my anti-vibration pads.  

What at did you use for the white feet holders?

I used cheap furniture floor protectors.

#15 tomwall

tomwall

Messenger

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 26 August 2019 - 12:18 PM

I used a couple of cinder blocks. 

#16 Dana in Philly

Dana in Philly

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 26 August 2019 - 05:53 PM

It’s as you say for me also.  However, the problem or pain, for me is when I have to position my head alongside the OTA to look through my zero-power finder.  My 10” DOB is too low for comfort. I’d like to have it maybe 12 to 14 inches higher.  At that height I’d get the comfort I need and still be able to use my observing chair to sit while I observe. 

Exactly!

#17 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Vanguard

Posted 26 August 2019 - 06:21 PM

I used cheap furniture floor protectors.

Since you use the same scope as me, would you mind sharing the dimensions of the boards?

#18 Napp

Napp

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 August 2019 - 09:40 PM

Since you use the same scope as me, would you mind sharing the dimensions of the boards?

Dave, the long span is 21 in.  The shorter span is 17.75 in.  The centers of the furniture floor protectors are 17.5 in. apart.  The riser is 12.25 in. high.  Of course you can change the height as desired.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

Attached Thumbnails

• riser.jpg

#19 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 27 August 2019 - 02:04 PM

Maybe those who think their Dob is too low, should get a lower chair?  :thinking:

Mike

• BSJ likes this

#20 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 27 August 2019 - 02:06 PM

Hello,

[looking at pic]  Are you 8' tall? scratchhead2.gif  Maybe one of the nephilim?  

grin.gif

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 27 August 2019 - 02:08 PM.

#21 Napp

Napp

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 August 2019 - 03:43 PM

Maybe those who think their Dob is too low, should get a lower chair?  thinking1.gif

Mike

My chair can lower to the ground.  I’m 6’2”.  Trying to get behind the Telrad is a pain in the neck at the 10” scope’s normal height.  On the riser pointed at the zenith the eyepiece is at a comfortable height.  The 10” on the riser and the 16” normal height both put the eyepiece at a comfortable height with both feet firmly on the ground standing or sitting or leaning on the observing chair.  Makes observing very comfortable.

• bobruben likes this

#22 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 27 August 2019 - 07:41 PM

My chair can lower to the ground.  I’m 6’2”.  Trying to get behind the Telrad is a pain in the neck at the 10” scope’s normal height.  On the riser pointed at the zenith the eyepiece is at a comfortable height.  The 10” on the riser and the 16” normal height both put the eyepiece at a comfortable height with both feet firmly on the ground standing or sitting or leaning on the observing chair.  Makes observing very comfortable.

OK, so there is the difference.  I'm 5'6".  I am seated on a simple foldable stool at my 10" f/4.8 Dob.  I can view comfortably at all positions of the telescope. 

But in my experience, sighting through a straight-through like a Telrad is never comfortable. I tried risers for the Telrad.  It doesn't matter.  In my opinion the best solution is to limit the time you look through the Telrad.  I only use my Telrad for the initial quick pointing in the neighborhood of an object.  Then I immediately switch to a RACI finder for star hopping to the location of the object.  Problem solved.

Mike

• 25585 likes this

#23 Steve D.

Steve D.

Apollo

• Loc: Woodstock, GA

Posted 27 August 2019 - 07:49 PM

I just got a foldable step used for an RV and put my manual setting circle board on it.

https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attached Thumbnails

• 0124DB59-7CCC-4E47-8FD5-2C09D35E28B5.jpeg

Edited by Steve D., 27 August 2019 - 07:57 PM.

#24 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, AR

Posted 27 August 2019 - 08:01 PM

This.  It raises my Dob and tracks very well.  Sadly, they are no longer made commercially by this maker.

https://www.cloudyni...platforms-r1063

#25 Dana in Philly

Dana in Philly

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 27 August 2019 - 08:07 PM

I just got a foldable step used for an RV and put my manual setting circle board on it.

https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like the price point.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dob, DIY, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics