•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Moon shot improvements (MAK90 & DSLR)

beginner dslr Maksutov moon planet
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Euripides

Euripides

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Greece

Posted 24 August 2019 - 09:50 AM

Greetings!

Recently I've made my personal leap of faith and bought my first telescope SkyWather Skymax 90. The main reason was to go even closer to the moon. Previously, I was shooting with my Canon 77D, Canon 55-250mm & Kenko TC x1.4. So from 560mm to 2.000mm it is an improvement :-)

I couldn't say that I am really happy from my final result on my latest full moon shot... I think that my shot is not clear enough.. 

I would like to share with you my setup & post process and I would be more than happy to hear your ideas for improvement.

• Sturdy tripod with Canon 77D (attached T2).
  • Intervalometer
  • Mirror locked
  • Time : 02:00 with ~30C temperature

• 85 stills 6000x4000, ISO 100, 1/250
  • raw.jpg

• PIPP results : 50 stills cropped with quality 100%-90%
  • pipp.jpg

• Autostakkert2
  • autostakkert.jpg

• Registax wavelet & a really small touch on ON1 
  • moon2.jpg

I have to say that I was waiting to get a clear image of the craters but this is not even close :-( 

So, am I missing something? Is this only the weather ? (heat, humidity) Is this Mak's fault ? (I really doubt about that) Camera's fault? Should I consider to go on an Planetary camera ? (ASI etc.)

Should I start shooting video and not stills? I can understand that more frames will be better, but I am also interested in printing those files, so I think anything like 1000x1000 will not be ideal.

(If anyone is interested in, I could provide the raw files for further investigation).

• Joe1950 and Astronut KY like this

#2 44maurer

44maurer

Viking 1

• Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 24 August 2019 - 01:21 PM

1st, the full moon will not give you much detail. You need the shadows to get the detail.

videos are definitely better.

• Euripides likes this

#3 Euripides

Euripides

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 August 2019 - 03:33 PM

As far as I can understand @44mauer the video will be better because of the number of the frames.

I am trying to understand for example if I could have something like this with my current setup. Is the specific camera the main reason for such a quality?

I mean, am I doing anything wrong or this is just a limitation of my setup ?

#4 44maurer

44maurer

Viking 1

• Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 24 August 2019 - 04:43 PM

I can’t stress enough the problem with shooting a full moon. Your local seeing can be problematic, but shooting the moon overhead will help that. The image you reference is probably using a Televue Powermate (assumption).

yes, there is a big difference between a mono small pix camera and your color dslr.

thare are a lot of YouTube videos on planetary imagining and processing. These will help you a lot (moon is similar to planetary).

• Euripides likes this

#5 airscottdenning

airscottdenning

Mariner 2

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 24 August 2019 - 04:47 PM

Your full moon result is pretty good -- I especially like the color!

There's never much detail at full moon because the light is vertical, minimizing shadows.

Image detail is dramatically better along the terminator at sunrise or sunset, like "National Geographic hour" on Earth.

As other have said, the best high-resolution lunar imagery is obtained by amateurs using post-processing to combine information from thousands of frames of video. 

As far as I can tell there's nothing wrong at all with your setup. 

• 44maurer and Euripides like this

#6 Euripides

Euripides

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 August 2019 - 08:10 AM

I am already thinking that maybe I have to move forward and go for a planetary camera (ex. ZWO ASI224MC) and If I want to reach the higher possible detail I have to create a mosaic because there is no go for a full capture of the moon with this setup.

In addition to that, I'll have surely a better view of Jupiter & Saturn.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner, dslr, Maksutov, moon, planet

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics