•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Deep Sky Stacker 4.2.2 is FAST

astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ericthemantis

ericthemantis

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 24 August 2019 - 01:12 PM

Just downloaded the latest version released earlier this week. The release notes state (I'm just highlighting the speed improvements):

-OpenMP speedup of Star Mask image reading code.

-Huge speedup of final image display by using much larger rectangles and OpenMP speedup of the bitmap extraction code.

-Speed up star registration by updating progress indicator once every 25 iterations instead of each iteration.

-Computing Final Picture using Kappa-Sigma Clip processing is now about 50 times faster!

-Computing Final Picture using Auto Adaptive Weighted Average is now about 43 times faster!

-Entropy Weighted Average complete stack of 50 lights is now about 20 times faster on my laptop, down from 4hrs 22min to 12min 55 sec.

-Three times performance improvement in star registration.

-Miscellaneous other performance tweaks.

Trying it out now on some images I want to restack with drizzle and it is COOKIN' .

• pgs/sdg and wcoastsands like this

#2 lbim

lbim

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Orlando, FL

Posted 24 August 2019 - 01:44 PM

Thanks for sharing info, appreciate this.

LBIM

#3 DuncanM

DuncanM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona Sky Village or the rain forest

Posted 24 August 2019 - 04:42 PM

It is considerably faster than the previous version that I tested, which was considerably slower than Astroart7/64.

DSS 422 measured in at ~48secs to stack 22 lights, 5 flats, 5 bias, 5 dark (Orion SSpro 6MP OSC)

AA7/64 stacked the above in ~26 seconds. Of course not all the stacking parameters are exactly the same, but I tried to minimize the differences.

Workstation = i5 4570 16GB RAM 256GB SSD

#4 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 25 August 2019 - 02:49 PM

That's for the update !

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics