•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

new Giro Ercole

mount
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 24 August 2019 - 07:12 PM

Been trying out my brand new Giro Ercole (bought from Teleskop Express).

It's finish is top class, and the mount is heavy enough to take my TSA120 and 120 Equinox with ease.

Altitude and azimuth motions are silky smooth. The resistance and lock setting knob are easy to grasp. Their effectiveness could do with being more gradual though, and total lock requires force with heavy scopes unless balance is perfect. Changing heavy eyepieces needs some deftness of hand to keep a scope from tilting off target. 

Construction of the mount is very solid, the big knobs are plastic but everything else is metal and seems very robust.

Like Altair Sabre mounts, the Ercole is readily available, not the case for AYO II. I did not want a big Chinese mount as I already have a couple of Skytee 2s, which are outwardly rugged, but have minute grub screws, Quatermass grease and are fairly high maintenance to keep the mechanics working well, especially in winter.

The APM AZMaxload is next step up, but that's SW AZ EQ6 price class, and would also need a new tripod as well.       

#2 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Aurora

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 25 August 2019 - 03:42 AM

Nice mount, seems to take quite some load too. German stuff is Always good

• 25585 likes this

#3 Traveler

Traveler

Gemini

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 25 August 2019 - 06:26 AM

I have even seen people using a C11 and a 4 inch refractor at the same time on an Ercole. I use the Giro III (the previous model) with DSC's for about 12 years….and still going strong...

Edited by Traveler, 25 August 2019 - 06:27 AM.

• 25585 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics