•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Binocular Book sought (Seyfried)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 sftonkin

sftonkin

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 16 April 2004 - 03:11 PM

Choosing, Using, and Repairing Binoculars, by Jay W. Seyfried

Anyone know where this book may be obtained? All my usual sources have drawn blanks.

#2 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 16 April 2004 - 03:45 PM

Add me to the list of "wanted" too.

Kenny.

#3 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 16 April 2004 - 04:02 PM

Stephen et al ,

A quick check of via google brought up this :

http://sciencekit.co...ry.asp?c=431154

At less than $20 US plus postage --this sounds like a "must have" item.

Regards --Kenny.

#4 sftonkin

sftonkin

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 16 April 2004 - 10:41 PM

Stephen et al ,

A quick check of via google brought up this :

Yeah, saw that. But I also saw this:
"At the current time, we are unable to accept orders shipping outside the United States."

The best option at present seems to be Blackwell, except that they don't actually have it in stock and don't actually know if they can get it until an order is actually placed.
( http://bookshop.blac...pts/welcome.jsp ) I also find their pricing exhorbitant -- they are effectively charging eleven quid for shipping!

There is also http://www.netstoreu...934639019.shtml , but they are even more exhorbitant ($94.40 + shipping). There is absolutely no way I'd pay that price!

At less than $20 US plus postage --this sounds like a "must have" item.

Yes, but with reservations and caution: See the review by Bill Cook in S&T August 1996

#5 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 17 April 2004 - 03:48 AM

Stephen copied and pasted :

< "At the current time, we are unable to accept orders shipping outside the United States." >

Stephen , Sorry about that -- I thought we already WERE part of the United States :-)

As regards the Bill Cook caution , I cannot "see" it as I have not got any copies of Sky and Telescope.

However , I am in private e-mail contact with Bill , so I will ask him what he thought.

Regards , Kenny.

#6 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 17 April 2004 - 06:01 AM

I got my copy from Edmund Scientific. I don't see it in the current catalogue. Even University Optics doesn't have it listed for sale. That's pretty odd, since the author is the president of UO. You might want to send an email to UO.

edz

#7 lighttrap

lighttrap

Soyuz

Posted 17 April 2004 - 06:44 AM

Like Ed, I got mine from Edmund Sci. But, take heart guys, cuz it's really not that good a book. Seriously, I was pretty disappointed in this slim, rather outdated little book. It's been awhile since I paged through it, but my impression was that it really wasn't of the caliber that I was expecting. Unfortunately, it's also just about the only book on this topic, (that I know of, anyway).

What's anybody else think of it? Ed, was it as helpful as you thought it would be? Am I expecting too much?

Mike Swaim

#8 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 17 April 2004 - 09:09 AM

It helped me understand a few things. I learned how to take binoculars apart using this book as a guide. But not all binoculars are built to come apart the same way, so it doesn't cover all the bases. Never-the-less, it helped me understand what some of the various screws are for, where to look for various screws, how to adjust the focus shaft for nearer focus at the expense of infinity or infinity at the expense of near focus, what real collimation is, collimation standards (which by the way are reversed in his table in the back of the book), how to focus, and probably a few other things.

It would be really helpful to an individual who intends to build a bench collimator.

It has served it's purpose for me.

edz

#9 sftonkin

sftonkin

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 17 April 2004 - 11:35 AM

>It would be really helpful to an individual who intends to build a bench
>collimator.

IIRC Bill Cook said that this would only give conditional alignment, and that
it would be cheaper to have a few sets of binocs done professionally than
to build the collimator (assuming you value your time at minimum wage).
Sure, there may be other reasons for wanting to do it yourself -- like
learning!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics