•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASI183 for Redcat 51?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TheRCMan

TheRCMan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Spokane WA

Posted 25 August 2019 - 01:56 AM

My Redcat should be here on Tuesday and I already have the Fujifilm adapter to mount my X-T3. I will use this temporarily while I'm trying to decide which dedicated astronomy camera to buy for it. The idea is to match the sensor to the optics as best I can.

Using the CCD Suitability Calculator, its seems that the ASI183 is the best match, at least on paper anyway. (250mm x 2.7 crop for 1" sensor = 675mm focal length) When conditions don't match the combo the result is oversampling which means I can pixel bin for correction. Initially I considered the OSC version using a 2" Optolong L-Pro filter for simplicity and weight savings as this setup is my travel rig (Skywatcher Star Adventurer). Although now I am considering the monchrome version with a manual filter wheel.

Do you guys think this is a good combo or should I look at something else?

#2 james7ca

james7ca

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 25 August 2019 - 02:59 AM

It depends somewhat on whether you want to go for maximum detail or "fast" capture. The 2.4um pixels on the IMX183 work really well with short-focus lenses, but they also capture less light per pixel than a sensor with larger pixels. Also, even with the RedCat you're going to need fairly good guiding/tracking when using something like the IMX183 and I'm not sure whether a Star Adventurer could give you all that you'd need given the 1.98 arc second per pixel image scale you'd have with that combination of lens and camera. Also, the IMX183 is going to reveal every fault that might exist in your RedCat (mitigated somewhat by its somewhat smaller 1" sensor in comparison to an APS-C or full-frame camera),

That said, one reason I've considered a RedCat is that I'd like to pair it with my ASI183MM Pro (my current choice for astrophotography). However, I'd normally be using that combination on a guided Mach1GTO mount, not a star tracker.

But as you've noted, you can always do a 50% reduction to help with the signal to noise and the revealing nature of such a small pixel camera.

So, yes, I'd call it a pretty good match as long as you are willing to accept some of the challenges in using a camera with 2.4um pixels.

• TheRCMan likes this

#3 TheRCMan

TheRCMan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Spokane WA

Posted 25 August 2019 - 10:55 PM

Thanks for the information... I am also looking at the ASI294 as well... It will probably fair a bit better on the tracker and reduce complexity of the setup... I'll keep researching.

#4 dogtom

dogtom

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 29 August 2019 - 09:58 AM

I have the ASI183 and purchased a Redcat 51 and had issues with a diffraction pattern on pretty much all of my stars. The response I received from WO was that due to the sensitivity of the petzval system sensor tilt/misalignment can cause these issues. The recommendation was to use a dslr. I ended up returning my Redcat.

Example image:

https://www.astrobin.../full/416792/0/

Hope this helps, just dont want others having similar frustrations. I think larger pixels would mask the issues I was seeing.

Edited by dogtom, 29 August 2019 - 09:59 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics