•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A Classic C8 SandCast From a Classy CNner

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 bob midiri

bob midiri

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: pa 19320

Posted 25 August 2019 - 07:42 AM

Around a month a go i saw an ad for an Orange C8 on CN classified, advertised by Al "Goodash" Carcich. I've dealt with Al in the past, a classy honest guy with a love of Classic scopes like myself. I always check Al's adds, but this one ad in particular was for a C8 that was owned by a great contributor on this forum who had recently passed away, Dionigi known to us as DMala.  Dionigi purchased this scope a few years ago, and got the chance to use it since it appears that he too enjoyed the older classic scopes especially old classic refractors, but now he had a chance to buy a fantastic older sand cast C8 and he did! Afterward there were a number of posts and comments by Dionigi regarding the C8 Sand cast version. I am now the proud owner of this fine telescope, as I just picked it up at Al's place. The scope is in almost pristine condition. My original intention was for a friend of mine to buy it, but he is a novice and just getting started and he felt it would be too much for him as a novice,  so instead I gave him my Meade ETX 90EC and he is enjoying that scope. In the meantime ,since it would be a month before I would be able to pick up the scope up from Al , who has been helping the family by him helping to sell DMala's items ., that I had the time to do some research on this telescope. I also wanted to find out more about  the person that owned it also . So now its gonna be a keeper for me as I am proud to be able to use a telescope that was owned by one of our great contributors. I was able to test the scope out This past Friday night and was so impressed with the mechanics, the optics, the almost zero mirror shift, the fact I can carry the whole scope out from my garage and observe, and the history associated with this fine instrument, I'm  just thankful to have the opportunity to do so.  Im going to share a few pictures of this C8 with Serial number s/n 1 5175 6. Bob

Attached Thumbnails

• scC8eWholescope.jpg
  • scC8gcorrector2.jpg
  • scC8dtubesticker.jpg

Edited by bob midiri, 25 August 2019 - 08:01 AM.

• Don W, tim53, deepwoods1 and 9 others like this

#2 bob midiri

bob midiri

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 25 August 2019 - 07:44 AM

A few more pictures

Attached Thumbnails

• scC8hwholescopeoppos.jpg
  • scC8a.jpg
  • scC8fcorrector.jpg

• tim53, Mr Magoo, Pete W and 9 others like this

#3 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 25 August 2019 - 08:18 AM

Congrats all around......it is always great to designate a fine telescope as a "keeper"

It looks very very nice in the pics.

It is also great to get a good one from someone so knowledgeable as Dmala and GoodAsh as well.  Helping out his family is also special    kudos to Al and others

I myself now have 4 items from his Estate....I have his Tasco te-5, his Sans and Streiff and his Tower 50 and a Zeiss eyepiece   it helps that I can drive across the Hudson river and meet Al at lunch

The Sandcast -C-8......  This is great that it is a real good one. I think everyone should have some kind of Orange Celestron at some point . I myself have a 1979 Diecast deforked with very good views

I bought a 1973 Sancast from Augustus down the road from me  but I still have issues getting it in and keeping it in colllimation. I need to take it to the shop but I have no idea where to get it looked  at

......thanks for sharing the story and the pics on your fine new old keeper

• bob midiri and GoodAsh like this

#4 petert913

petert913

Gemini

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 25 August 2019 - 08:42 AM

That's just like my first C8.  A 1975 with the thru-holes in the forks.  Man, I loved that scope !  Have fun with it.

• bob midiri, GoodAsh and Defenderslideguitar like this

#5 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 25 August 2019 - 03:33 PM

Very nice!! Glad it went to a good home.

• bob midiri, GoodAsh and Defenderslideguitar like this

#6 John Higbee

John Higbee

Viking 1

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 25 August 2019 - 03:54 PM

Bob - welcome back to the "Orange Tube Brigade"!!

Your C8 and mine span the point where "die-cast" replaced "sand cast"...mine was a 2nd quarter 1976 baby (2 5666 6).  It's a wonderful scope, and will always be the heart of my telescope collection.

When I bought in it June 1976, I also bought the optical report (which provided Ronchi-grams, interferometer results, and a variety of other optical information about my scope)...and it was signed by Tom Johnson (President, Celestron)!   PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send you a copy...since the scopes were manufactured within a quarter of each other, your optics are probably quite similar to mine.

All the best, John

C8 center of NEAF attention.jpg

Edited by John Higbee, 25 August 2019 - 03:55 PM.

• bob midiri, deepwoods1, terraclarke and 2 others like this

#7 GoodAsh

GoodAsh

Viking 1

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 25 August 2019 - 06:01 PM

I'm so happy to report here that nothing from Dionigi's collection is going to end up in a dumpster! We have sold almost his whole collection with just a few odds and ends left over.

I ended up purchasing his Tak FS102 and his JSO 5" Schmidt cassegrain. The rest went up for sale and you all snapped things up! For that I say Thank You to all! Especially Barry, Albert, Bob, Rock, Vaughn and many others!

Al
  • Don W, bob midiri, terraclarke and 6 others like this

#8 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Washington

Posted 25 August 2019 - 10:23 PM

Wow, I wish I could find one!

• bob midiri likes this

#9 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 August 2019 - 12:21 PM

Bob  Looking at your pics  I see the secondary has some kind of easy collimation knobs on it   and I am playing aroung with one of the smaller allen wrenchs ever made.... perhaps I should get thoses   as well            

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 27 August 2019 - 03:01 PM.

#10 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Ohio Valley

Posted 27 August 2019 - 01:16 PM

Those are Bob’s Knobs knobs. There are both pro and cons associated with them. The pro is that they are easily manipulated in the dark. The cons are (1) your finger tips are very close to the corrector plate so that while eliminating the prospect of scratches, you might possibly touch the plate and get fingerprints on it, and (2) they are said to cause the plate to easily and frequently go out of collimation. So, they have both fans and detractors. I am neither. I’ve never used them, but I don’t feel the need to either.

Edited by terraclarke, 27 August 2019 - 01:18 PM.

• bob midiri and Defenderslideguitar like this

#11 bob midiri

bob midiri

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 27 August 2019 - 03:31 PM

Terra first time I ever had Bob's Knobs on a scope, it came to me that way!! I did tweak collimation  when I had first light, in between Im working 7 straight nights, so next outing I shall see if it held collimation!! Bob

• terraclarke and Defenderslideguitar like this

#12 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Vanguard

• Loc: Clayton, NC

Posted 27 August 2019 - 04:50 PM

Congrats on your orange tube sand cast C8, they do many things well. I love my 74 model. It has very good optics and little to no image shift. Many scopes have come and gone and this one still remains. I’ll never part with it. I enjoy standing when viewing as I tend to move around the sky a lot. One of the absolute best mods I’ve ever done to a vintage scope was to add an extension to the base, keeps me from have to crane my neck over while standing. Very inexpensive, completely reversible and doesn’t effect the damping time. It’s also actually easier to carry this way as well. By the way, I have Bob’s knobs on my scope and they hold collimation very well, even while frequently moving the scope in/out of the garage. Enjoy your new C8!!

085298FD-573C-44A7-845C-17EEEDA9F1A6.jpeg

EDDDCEF2-41F5-4060-B766-06BD366CB3C3.jpeg

Link to my mod post

https://www.cloudyni...-best-mod-ever/

• tim53, EverlastingSky, terraclarke and 3 others like this

#13 bob midiri

bob midiri

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 27 August 2019 - 04:54 PM

Scott I like this a lot, thanks for sharing this idea!! Bob

#14 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 August 2019 - 05:38 PM

Scott

Yes  great idea on the extension

We also lke the orange sandcast together with  the orange jacko laterns   great photo

#15 bob midiri

bob midiri

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 27 August 2019 - 05:45 PM

That gives me an idea for Haloween! 

• terraclarke and Defenderslideguitar like this

#16 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

Posted 29 August 2019 - 09:52 AM

Like a Unitron and the Questar 3.5, the classic orange, fork mounted C8 is an icon in our hobby! In my mind the three make up what I call “The Classic Triumvirate”. No wonder that Johnny Carson had all three, (a U114, Q-standard, and C14). I”m glad I do too! (2nd Qtr ‘77 C8).
  • John Higbee and Kasmos like this

#17 Kasmos

Kasmos

Vanguard

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 29 August 2019 - 01:08 PM

Like a Unitron and the Questar 3.5, the classic orange, fork mounted C8 is an icon in our hobby! In my mind the three make up what I call “The Classic Triumvirate”. No wonder that Johnny Carson had all three, (a U114, Q-standard, and C14). I”m glad I do too! (2nd Qtr ‘77 C8).

waytogo.gif "The Classic Triumvirate". Not a bad grouping to attain. One might say madatory.

Like this photo says, why not go all the way?

Unitron Johnny.jpg

JCarson Questar.jpg

JCarson C14.jpg

I'm short one frown.gif

• bob midiri, terraclarke, John Higbee and 1 other like this

#18 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

Posted 29 August 2019 - 01:34 PM

I love it Chris!

Attached Thumbnails

• 14280269-2EBA-475D-948D-45E578D31DDD.jpeg

• Kasmos likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics