•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

V1054 Oph - KUI 75

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ssmith

ssmith

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 25 August 2019 - 08:48 AM

As part of my continuing photographic survey of the closest stars I recently visited V1054 Ophiuchus which is located 21 light years away ranking it #95 of the 100 closest stars.  It is also a notable quintuple star system - KUI 75.  All of its members are red dwarfs ranging from magnitude 10 to magnitude 17. 

Its faintest member - Vanbiesbroeck 8 - is one of the least massive stars known at ~0.08 Msun – the lower limit for nuclear fusion.

This system is notable in many other respects too numerous to go into here and I recommend reading the Wikipedia entry for V1054 Oph or this paper.

V1054 & Gliese 643 will be within visual reach for most.  It is just past the meridian in the early evening so there is time to take a crack at this one. I was able to capture VB 8 in my photos but it is clearly near the limits of my imaging system.

V1054 Oph C9 8-18-19 10fr invert.jpg

Edited by ssmith, 25 August 2019 - 08:56 AM.

• dmdouglass likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics