I've written extensively about the problems that I've had with PCs, mice, and USB hubs on my remote C14 out at DSW. After struggling for over a year with random disconnects from my original ASI-1600MM-C I replaced it in early June with a brand new ASI-1600MM-C Pro. At first, it worked flawlessly and it would run all night without a single problem; but, the idea that my problems were over were short lived. By mid-July, my filter wheel and focus system started going off-line at random intervals. The USB hub that they were connected through on the camera got to the point where they would simply disappear after about 10-15 minutes. That shut down my whole system--making it unusable. These were the only two devices connected through the camera hub so I flew back out to the observatory and ran yet another cable up through my mount to a separate industrial quality hub to run these two devices. And sure enough, that worked perfectly! Unfortunately, the hub problem appears to have been just the tip of the iceberg. Now the camera dies every session after only a couple of frames. Last night with perfect seeing and dark skies, I got exactly two subs out of an 8 hour session before the camera went tango-uniform. This camera has been in service for slightly under 90 days and it's definitely dead. This failure is different than the failures of the first camera. When it would hang, the first camera could simply be stopped and restarted. This current problem causes the camera to completely freeze up. The only way to get it restarted is to disconnect it from the ASCOM driver and then to restart it. The camera is connected with a single USB cable directly to the PC so there's a tiny possibility that it could be the cable (which is also slightly less than 90 days old.) I'll have someone out at DSW check the cable but I'll be stunned if that's the problem. I just can't understand how so many folks can use this same ASI-1600 camera without any problems. I've now had two and experienced a 100% failure rate. And yes, I've triple checked: I have all of the most current drivers for everything.
On top of all of this, the folks at TeamViewer declared out of the blue that I'm a commercial user and kicked me off. I don't know what precipitated that action since I use one computer to connect to one computer and I've never even come close to violating their personal use policy. Fortunately, I've had Chrome desktop standing by as a back up it it's been working fine.
I'll have to add up the number of trips I've made from Oregon to DSW, but it's a LOT. My wife is so sick of hearing about all the problems that I won't even bring it up at home any more. After huge struggles, I've been able to produce one image in June, another in early August, and nothing since. My system is continuously down because of crummy, unreliable gear (well, that and there were the mice a while back.) To be fair, my AP mount, FLI cameras, and Optec focusing system have been mostly flawless. The really big problems have mostly been with Cappuccino computers and ZWO cameras.
So I find myself on the edge of a precipice looking down. I'm either flying out to try one more time to fix this thing or I'm flying out there to rip it all out and give up. I can't keep doing this so it's down to about 50:50. I can't keep imaging from Oregon so this may be the end for a while. I've got a new 20" on order so I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that. I'm sure not sending it to Chile after this experience. Maybe I just need to regroup for a while. I'll talk to the folks at ZWO but unless I can come up with a more reliable path, I might be done. I value persistence but I'm pretty aggravated.