•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need pricing suggestions for Santel 180/1800 & Intes-Alter MK84

catadioptric Maksutov
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nightfall S Africa

Nightfall S Africa

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 August 2019 - 11:35 AM

I haven't followed the ads or scope prices for a long time. I want to sell my Santel 180/1800 Mak w. JMI Event Horizon; Intes-Alter Mk84 astrograph w/Losmandy D & FT focuser; and Orion badged Intes MN61 w/FT focuser. Optics & mechanicals in excl to v.good condition. Any suggestions for fair market value on these? Prefer to sell all as a unit.8" Intes Alter f:4 & 180mm f:10 Santel Maks.JPG 8" Intes Alter f:4 sliding CW, laser pointer, Feathertouch.JPG Intes-Micro MN61.JPG

• Colin exraaf and Tyson M like this

#2 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 August 2019 - 05:32 PM

Trying to sell all three together? Who is going to do that? You would have to box them separately to ship them anyway so it isn’t really much extra hassle to sell them separately. Basically 0.0000000000000001% of the world population is going to want those three exact scopes. So they will want one and buy all three to get the one they want. They will only do that if they are very confident they can sell the other scopes for enough to make it worth their while to have to flip them. Essentially you are selling at a discount if you sell them together. A considerable discount. If you don’t care about how much you get for them go ahead and sell them as a package. Then someone will take all of them off your hands for the right price, and the other two will quickly show up listed separately in the CN classifieds or AM. Just don’t be mad when you see what the other two go for separately. You have the opportunity to sell them separately now.

It is possible to advise you on the value of the scopes individually. But it is likely that no one in human history has tried to sell all three as a package, so it is problematic to give you pricing as a group. Maybe 25% less than the individual values?

Scott

Edited by SeattleScott, 25 August 2019 - 05:34 PM.

• Tyson M likes this

#3 Tyson M

Tyson M

Soyuz

• Loc: 53 degrees North

Posted 25 August 2019 - 05:51 PM

I agree with above ^

Sell each separately. The Santel 180/1800 Mak w. JMI Event Horizon; Intes-Alter Mk84 astrograph w/Losmandy D & FT focuser are both rare and should net a very fair sum of money.  Maybe start at 60% of new price, they arent cheap scopes? 

Id guess the Santel around the $1500 or more mark.  The MK84 is super rare and could be desirable to imagers or EAA/ NV crowd.  Maybe 3K? Or a bit less. 

The MN61 is more common but equally impressive on its own. Search classifieds to get a better idea on pricing.

Edited by Tyson M, 25 August 2019 - 05:52 PM.

#4 Nightfall S Africa

Nightfall S Africa

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 August 2019 - 07:11 PM

Shipping from S Africa is prohibitively expensive by air. Partial-container sea-bourne rates go up as the volume goes down due to documentation, handling, & tracking costs. Shipping all 3 separately would cost 4 times as much as putting them all in one crate. Lost-in-transit risk is significant as item size goes down. The SA amateur market is minuscule & in our disressed economy & dodgy political future people are looking for value, not quality. The S.A. Rand is near-junk status at 15 to the dollar (6 months ago it was 12 per dollar). A fair but middling price for you is a high return for me. The idea was that the buyer could take the scope he/she wants and sell the others to pay for all three.

Edited by Nightfall S Africa, 25 August 2019 - 07:12 PM.

#5 Riccardo_italy

Riccardo_italy

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 26 August 2019 - 02:36 AM

My two cents: simply tell the truth, i.e. all options, in your ad. Specify that:

the buyer can pay 4x shipping cost for just one item (add insurance)

or

shipping expenses will be much reduced if 3 buyers from the same country (EU or USA) agree for a single crate shipment (and then internal shipping for 2 items).

As your items are rare, it might be that someone will be willing to pay the 4x shipping.

Edited by Riccardo_italy, 26 August 2019 - 02:40 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: catadioptric, Maksutov

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics