•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox & EQ6-R

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 star toucher

star toucher

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Near Eolia, Missouri

Posted 25 August 2019 - 12:25 PM

Anyone use the Pegasus Pocket Powerbox with the EQ6-R?

Knowing the EQ6-R is power sensitive I was curious if it supplies adequate power to the mount?

For now I would be using an AC-DC power supply as I do most my imaging from home.

#2 1DegreeN

1DegreeN

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Prachinburi, Thailand

Posted 26 August 2019 - 11:42 PM

The PPB can supply a max of 8A in total over the 4 DC output jacks and the EQ6R is rated at 4A (for fast slews), so it will depend on what other devices you are also powering from the PPB. The software for the PPB shows a graph of power consumption so you would be able to measure the actual power consumption of the mount. Curious that the last 2 firmware releases for the EQ6R motor controllers each contain fixes to reduce the mount's power consumption.

#3 Devonshire

Devonshire

Vostok 1

• Loc: S/W Ontario, Canada

Posted 27 August 2019 - 03:45 PM

I use a PPB with my EXOS2 PMC8, and had sent some questions off to Pegasus while figuring out my battery options.

What came back to me was that the only regulated output is for the 8v DSLR plug.  The rest is unregulated.  Which in my case meant that I had to make sure that my supply (battery) would hold above 11v for the duration of a session.  Ended up with one of the Celestron LiFePo's, and it's been fine.

The PPB comes with a substantial power brick, so if you are on the mains, you should be fine.  I ran that way initially and had no issues. My mount, camera, hub and Dewnots only draw about 1A, often a bit less.

Luvv my PPB!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics