•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

1.25” narrowband?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 shrimpus

shrimpus

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 August 2019 - 12:43 PM

I have a 10 inch reflector and a 2” narrowband filter, but I feel like deep space things look pretty small through my 2” eyepiece, and I live in a bortle 6 zone, so I can’t really see much without a narrowband. So I was wondering if getting a 1.25” UHC would be worth it?

#2 N3p

N3p

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 August 2019 - 01:40 PM

I think a 1.25" UHC would be worth the money, I use both my 2" and 1.25". The 2" for large nebulae low power and the 1.25" for planetary nebulae (or any medium or small nebs). For me both filters are very useful.

Edited by N3p, 25 August 2019 - 01:41 PM.

#3 shrimpus

shrimpus

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 August 2019 - 07:31 PM

I think a 1.25" UHC would be worth the money, I use both my 2" and 1.25". The 2" for large nebulae low power and the 1.25" for planetary nebulae (or any medium or small nebs). For me both filters are very useful.

what do you mean by big nebulas? im assuming you mean the bigger ones in the galactic core, but even when viewing the lagoon nebula, i still think that it would look much much much much better with my 1.25" eyepiece. 

#4 N3p

N3p

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:49 PM

I think about the Veil nebula (+-3 degrees of diameter), the North America and Pelican, IMHO these are interesting with a 2" long focal length eyepiece and a 2" UHC filter.  I actually like the Lagoon and Eagle with the same setup, It's a matter of taste on a giving day.

I use both filters almost equally, so that's why I like to have both. 

#5 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 26 August 2019 - 12:54 PM

I have a 10 inch reflector and a 2” narrowband filter, but I feel like deep space things look pretty small through my 2” eyepiece, and I live in a bortle 6 zone, so I can’t really see much without a narrowband. So I was wondering if getting a 1.25” UHC would be worth it?

That depends.  These filters only work well at low powers, in your scope, say, 100x or less (maybe 110x).

Do you have 1.25" eyepieces that yield those powers?

Remember, a narrowband filter is for nebulae, and most of those look best at relatively low powers.

For higher powers, the sky is darker in the FOV anyway.

So, for the small planetaries, try 140-240x without a filter.

For other objects, a narrowband just dims them at all powers.

#6 aatdalton

aatdalton

Vostok 1

Posted 26 August 2019 - 07:21 PM

Out of curiosity, does your 2" to 1.25" adapter have threads? I have a 2" Oiii filter and just thread it on the bottom of the adapter when I want to use my 1.25" eyepieces. Unless I'm missing something that's screwing up my focus, I think it's a pretty solid solution. 

• Starman1, brentknight and vdog like this

#7 shrimpus

shrimpus

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:30 AM

Out of curiosity, does your 2" to 1.25" adapter have threads? I have a 2" Oiii filter and just thread it on the bottom of the adapter when I want to use my 1.25" eyepieces. Unless I'm missing something that's screwing up my focus, I think it's a pretty solid solution. 

Sorry for the late response, no it doesn't. I got a DSLR and I was wondering if there was any way to use a 2" narrowband on it, or if i have to get a 1.25" one?

#8 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 05 September 2019 - 12:51 PM

The typical DSLR has a large enough chip that using a t-ring-to-1.25" adapter on the front of the camera will vignette the field significantly.

I recommend a t-ring to 2" adapter for the camera, which will not vignette the field (the main vignetting is the I.D. of the t-ring, and some t-rings

with larger I.D.s are now available).  See: https://www.telescop...-focus-adapters

These adapters are threaded on the front end for filters, so a 2" adapter will accept 2" filters.

You could always use a 1.25" adapter on the camera and insert that into a 1.25" to 2" adapter that is threaded for 2" filters, but if you have 2"

capability in the system, I cannot see why you would do that. 

Edited by Starman1, 05 September 2019 - 12:53 PM.

• OldManSky likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics