•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

a shootout between the old & new Fujinon 16X70s

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 starramus

starramus

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 16 June 2006 - 10:53 AM

I propose a shootout between the newer version 16X70s and the vaunted old version. I believe Bill who haunts this forum would make an accurate and unbiased assessment. Astronomics has a returned pair that would make a very suitable specimen for comparison. Let the bullets fly and let the sales sink.

Clear skies.

#2 Joad

Joad

Wordsmith

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:10 AM

We have a number of intelligent, accurate, and unbiased "Bills" who hang out on Binoculars, all of whom could offer us a fine comparative review. The chances, however, that Astronomics would provide any one of our Bills, or anyone else on this forum for that matter, with a binocular for review are so small as to be statistically insignificant. I would not be surprised to discover that reviews of the old and new versions of this instrument can be found all over the internet. Anyone who can find such reviews and wishes to provide links to them (NOT the reviews themselves) here is certainly welcome to do so. This forum is not only open to, it is designed for, unbiased reviews of binoculars. Of course, an unbiased review would not begin with a presumption of sinking sales.

#3 Amalia

Amalia

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 June 2006 - 05:42 PM

This forum is not only open to, it is designed for, unbiased reviews of binoculars. Of course, an unbiased review would not begin with a presumption of sinking sales.

Now this is what I call a very diplomatic post, Joad... :waytogo:

Amalia :)

#4 cota_scope

cota_scope

Ranger 4

Posted 16 June 2006 - 06:15 PM

i have had both the new and the older mod, unless the new one i got was from a bad batch i preferred the older mod. for there optics and construction, maybe it was me but i thought the older mod had better edge correction. john

#5 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

• Vendors

Posted 16 June 2006 - 06:22 PM

I have the new version and a friend I occasionally observe with has the old. I will try to arrange a shoot-out (possibly this weekend). I've modified my eyecups to give a bit better eye relief so it may be hard to do a direct model-to-model comparison.

#6 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 June 2006 - 07:03 PM

I would not be surprised to discover that reviews of the old and new versions of this instrument can be found all over the internet. Anyone who can find such reviews and wishes to provide links to them (NOT the reviews themselves) here is certainly welcome to do so.

Surprisingly, there are VERY few reviews of the 16x70s anywhere on the web. EdZ has probably written more about them than everything else I've seen combined.

It will be interesting to see Bill T's impressions when he does a side-by-side.

I have a later model of the "old" style and like them a lot. That is not to say they are perfect in every way; like most binoculars, they display some field curvature and have their share of CA, not to mention the short eye relief. Still, it is evident to me that they are a high quality product that stands out above the competition I've tried.

Rich V

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics