•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Synscan v5 only powers with usb

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AlonzotheXplorer

AlonzotheXplorer

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Indianapolis, IN, US

Posted 25 August 2019 - 01:00 PM

I've had both my atlas and asiair for about 2 weeks now and while trying to get everything communicating and working, I had a problem...

I'm using an asiair to control my atlas and last night I did a power down to restart everything (still figuring everything out).
I know I need to do an alignment before I can connect the asiair. So I unplugged the USB port to the asiair.

When I tried to power the mount back up the red light on my mount lit up, but no response from the controller. I fumbled around and swapped battery packs and power cables to no avail.

For some reason I plugged the USB back in and bam. It came on?! I could do everything from the hand controller like there's nothing wrong.

I did another alignment and got the asiair going again and had wifi control. So I started over again (practice through repetition).

Again, no power unless USB. I left it alone because I was 2 hours from home. It was functioning as is.

Today I'm trying to solve the issue of only USB power.

I did a firmware update and it still only powers from USB (laptop this time).

Any ideas on what could be wrong?! I want to have full control of the mount with just the hand controller.

My only thoughts are- bad cable, blown fuse?

#2 MikeECha

MikeECha

Vostok 1

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 25 August 2019 - 02:30 PM

I've had both my atlas and asiair for about 2 weeks now and while trying to get everything communicating and working, I had a problem...

I'm using an asiair to control my atlas and last night I did a power down to restart everything (still figuring everything out).
I know I need to do an alignment before I can connect the asiair. So I unplugged the USB port to the asiair.

When I tried to power the mount back up the red light on my mount lit up, but no response from the controller. I fumbled around and swapped battery packs and power cables to no avail.

For some reason I plugged the USB back in and bam. It came on?! I could do everything from the hand controller like there's nothing wrong.

I did another alignment and got the asiair going again and had wifi control. So I started over again (practice through repetition).

Again, no power unless USB. I left it alone because I was 2 hours from home. It was functioning as is.

Today I'm trying to solve the issue of only USB power.

I did a firmware update and it still only powers from USB (laptop this time).

Any ideas on what could be wrong?! I want to have full control of the mount with just the hand controller.

My only thoughts are- bad cable, blown fuse?

My SW EQ6 R had the same problem out of the box. I had to send it back as the mount board was the problem.

#3 AlonzotheXplorer

AlonzotheXplorer

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 August 2019 - 02:52 PM

If the mount board is fried? How does it still function perfectly? My only problem is controller doesn't boot without USB.

#4 MikeECha

MikeECha

Vostok 1

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 25 August 2019 - 06:32 PM

If the mount board is fried? How does it still function perfectly? My only problem is controller doesn't boot without USB.

The controller and the mount work when the controller is powered via USB right? Well, the power part of the mount board that powers the controller via RJ45 is bad. It would only take one broken wire/connection to not power the controller. You already proved it to yourself. My case was the same and I still have the original controller. So that proves it is the board and not the controller. Not to mention tha SW/ the dealer said so to me.

#5 AlonzotheXplorer

AlonzotheXplorer

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 August 2019 - 12:09 AM

I've been in touch with OPT (Place of purchase (within 30days)) and they are contacting ZWO and Orion. After 2 days of no info I called and informed them of your discovery. Opt is looking into it with Orion.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics