•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron 80LCM Computerized

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rileybowler

Rileybowler

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 August 2019 - 02:29 PM

Does anyone on this site have any experience with this particular model, there doesn't seem to be many reviews on it.

#2 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 26 August 2019 - 07:28 AM

The LCMs use the standard NexStar or since around 2012 NexStar+ hand controllers (so the same firmware as with the more popular SLT, SE, Evolution, and CPC scopes) ... so they can be setup, used, or connected to a PC just like those other scope families. 

There are two types of PC connections depending on the age of the hand controller, a small RJ22 modular connector on the base of the hand controller is a simple RS232 serial port and requires a Celestron HC to serial cable (#93920) and a serial port (on the PC or via a USB-serial adapter) on a Windows PC.

On the latest versions of the HC that modular connector/serial port has been replaced by a mini USB connection, and for this you'll only require a USB mini cable to connect to a PC. Then if you are using Windows you'll need a scope control app that either has built in Celestron mount control or uses the ASCOM platform. An alternative is Linux with the Indie platform. Either way works fine. 

You may also have the potential for a wireless connection using a SkyPortal wifi connector which uses an AUX connector on your mount. The software for the wireless connection is Andriod or IOS based (SkyPortal or SkySafari). 

For more info have a look at Mike's great site ... www.nexstarsite.com

Edited by mclewis1, 26 August 2019 - 07:31 AM.

#3 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Florida

Posted 26 August 2019 - 08:35 AM

Does anyone on this site have any experience with this particular model, there doesn't seem to be many reviews on it.

It's as budget as it gets (small achromatic refractor, lots of CA, lots of plastic bits). I wouldn't bother. If your budget is $300 I would go for something else. I am assuming you are putting more emphasis on getting a computerized tracking mount, than the actual telescope. That's not to sound negative, it just seems that's the goal and I understand it, it is a convenience thing often, but I will say that with a smaller, shorter telescope, it really doesn't change much because at the scale you would view at you don't really need tracking so you can instead look at getting more aperture (to see more, brighter view). Small apertures under light pollution are not going to show much. I would push for a 4~6" aperture minimum. If on a budget, look into a Zhumell Z130 or Heritage 130P. If you enjoy the sky, you can later get a mount that has tracking.

Very best,

#4 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 26 August 2019 - 03:37 PM

The LCM comes with up to a 114mm reflector. Most of it's limitation on scope size comes from the lightweight tripod used under the mount and the orientation of the saddle (connection point). The LCM can't handle too long a telescope as it can contact a tripod leg.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics