•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

RedCat 51mm as an autoguider?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 FocusedNaim

FocusedNaim

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Mississippi

Posted 25 August 2019 - 02:59 PM

Can the William Optics 51mm be used as an autoguider? It has a vixen base, but like Garfield, a fat cat. 

Does anyone have experience with this or seen this in the field as a star party, etc?

#2 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 25 August 2019 - 03:10 PM

Somewhat expensive but should work great...!

Edited by Jim Waters, 25 August 2019 - 03:10 PM.

#3 FocusedNaim

FocusedNaim

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 August 2019 - 03:21 PM

Somewhat expensive but should work great...!

This is going to be my first AP scope, but I wanted to ensure that I could repurpose it as an autoguider when I get a bigger scope. 

If not, I would bite the bullet an get an 80mm for my first AP scope, becuase I know that those can be used as autoguiders. 

#4 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 25 August 2019 - 03:36 PM

A little small for a AP scope.  What's your budget?

#5 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 25 August 2019 - 03:37 PM

Bigger may not be better. An imager I know has a 100mm ED and an 80mm ED. They use the 100mm as the guide as the 80mm they say produces a better result.

Would be interesting to know what scope would be so much better that it demotes a Redcat to being a guide scope.

#6 FocusedNaim

FocusedNaim

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 August 2019 - 03:46 PM

My budget is $2500. 

I spent $1400 on the Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro. This mount is an investment to avoid having to purchase another mount in the future. I will not compromise on mount quality. Although, I am interested in the              EXOS-2GT PMC open source app. It's OPEN SOURCE!!!!! YES!

Bobzeq recommended that I get a smaller telescope as a beginner into AP. I understand that and the implications. I also want to purchase a reflecting or catadioptric for visual use as well. 

#7 FocusedNaim

FocusedNaim

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 August 2019 - 03:48 PM

Bigger may not be better. An imager I know has a 100mm ED and an 80mm ED. They use the 100mm as the guide as the 80mm they say produces a better result.

Would be interesting to know what scope would be so much better that it demotes a Redcat to being a guide scope.

Get all the backstory here!

https://www.cloudyni...choices-gently/

#8 tonyt

tonyt

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 26 August 2019 - 01:26 AM

This is going to be my first AP scope, but I wanted to ensure that I could repurpose it as an autoguider when I get a bigger scope. 

If not, I would bite the bullet an get an 80mm for my first AP scope, becuase I know that those can be used as autoguiders. 

The Redcat is a great choice for a first imaging scope. The short focal length makes it easier to get good images and there are large objects which need the wide field of view. Mid size objects look good set in their background and you can fit 2 or 3 classic targets in the frame. With some experience under your belt you can buy a scope giving a ~600mm focal length (including reducer) to get closer to showpiece objects (M42, etc).  

Both of these are wonderful first imaging scopes:

IMG_2447.JPG

Both are easy to focus and work well, even if they aren't Tak quality.

• OldManSky likes this

#9 tonyt

tonyt

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 26 August 2019 - 01:48 AM

BTW, I use a 50mm Skywatcher finderscope as a guidescope - nice and light.

Here's an image of the region around Antares from the Redcat:

ic4605_redcat_210719_DBE.jpg10% - Copy.jpg

Big field of view (short focal length) lets you fit all that onto an APSc chip.

#10 tonyt

tonyt

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 26 August 2019 - 01:50 AM

Here's an SMC image from the Sharpstar 61edph using an L-enhance filter, cropped a little:

SMC61edph230819_DBE.jpg10%.jpg

#11 Devonshire

Devonshire

Vostok 1

• Loc: S/W Ontario, Canada

Posted 27 August 2019 - 03:05 PM

Although, I am interested in the              EXOS-2GT PMC open source app. It's OPEN SOURCE!!!!! YES!

FucusedNaim,

I'm having trouble making sense of this...  You purchased an EQ-6 - what's the connection?   

Are you referring to ES's "Explorestars" app?   That app only speaks the PMC8's native command language - it's for use with the PMC8 mounts, preferably on a tablet.  I'm on ASCOM myself, so I don't use it, but that's the deal. 

#12 FocusedNaim

FocusedNaim

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 August 2019 - 04:50 PM

Tony, 

Thank you for your posts! And wow, those photos are spectacular!

Jim, SG6, and Devonshire,

Thank you for your knowledge!

#13 kingjamez

kingjamez

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Fairfax, VA

Posted 28 August 2019 - 06:41 PM

I don’t use the RedCat but I do use my secondary imaging rig as an autoguider. It’s a 180mm F/2.8 Nikon lens so very similar to the redcat. It works very well and always gives nicely shaped stars. When I want to image with the 180mm I use my main Telescope as the autoguider.

-Jim

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics