•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

For those deciding on a new Binocular Purchase, Should a Digital Zoom Camera also be considered as a Option?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 August 2019 - 03:26 PM

For those deciding on a new binocular purchase, Should a Digital Zoom Camera also be considered as a option?

On Friday afternoon / evening I drove out to a piece of land owned by the family to mow the yard and perform some weekly maitenance. The previous weekend I picked up a used canon zoom camera inexpesively at a thrift store, and was anxious to try it out. (By in-expensive I mean about 10$ in unknown working condition, I got lucky and then spent another 10$ on some rechargable bateries).

It compared favorably to a set of vintage 7x binoculars I also had on hand. The camera was a canon powershot sx130. Here are some photos:

This first photo was taken of my fishing pier with no zoom.

1.JPG

This 2nd photo was taken from the same spot using zoom at appoximately 3/4 of a mile capturing the opposing shore line.

2.JPG

Even using this in-expensive purchase the view was similar to a pair of 7x binoculars, and the image stabilization helped with the handeld operation.

This got me even more curious, and I did a little research and found these video's on youtube of a higher end nikon p900 that just blew me away with it capabilities.

https://www.youtube....h?v=LhQlwKX3LQA

https://www.youtube....h?v=7LHA2s6hWqE

I think these zoom cameras are a viable option that some might want to consider. Technology today can be amazing.

Edited by Mbinoc, 25 August 2019 - 05:53 PM.

• Barlowbill likes this

#2 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 25 August 2019 - 03:43 PM

IMO, binoculars are for looking through and enjoying the benefits of using both eyes; cameras are for taking pictures.  Sure, if the camera has an optical viewfinder you can view through it with one eye but that's a big disadvantage to me.

I'd never warm to the magnifying digital viewers that are like looking at a smart phone screen, either.

Example: https://www.digitalt...cular-ces-2019/

The binocular vision aspect of real optical binoculars isn't so easily replaced by technology.

Rich

• hallelujah, terraclarke and Mbinoc like this

#3 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 August 2019 - 05:14 PM

IMO, binoculars are for looking through and enjoying the benefits of using both eyes; cameras are for taking pictures.  Sure, if the camera has an optical viewfinder you can view through it with one eye but that's a big disadvantage to me.

I'd never warm to the magnifying digital viewers that are like looking at a smart phone screen, either.

Example: https://www.digitalt...cular-ces-2019/

The binocular vision aspect of real optical binoculars isn't so easily replaced by technology.

Rich

I see your point Rich in the different purpose. I'm a beginner whos main interests are currently in the 2nd hand inexpensive finds. Any opininion I may provide should be looked at from a beginners perspective, who is basically comparing sub 30$ used finds. This applies to both my telescopes / binoculars, and other purchases.

I'm still having some fun playing around in this used in-expesively priced optic market, and just sharing the experiances encountered along the way.

In my journey, I have picked up a few finds that should have cost a bit more, but have yet to spend the dollars myself on a hand picked item of desire. Everything I have purchased has been bought opportunistically because I perceived it as a good deal at the time.

I view my collection as liquid,  (Meaning If I ever find something better, I try to move out or give away what I already have). It has been a fun ride so far, and I think If I compare sales to purchases I have pretty much broken even in this hobby, and the side effect is that I also now have a few (new to me) toys I get to play with.

When I first started I literally new nothing, and have been slowly building up a solid base. This web site is the best knowledge resource I have ever found to help people grow in this hobby.

I'm also ok with using dated technology, I personally don't need the best available to have some fun.

Edited by Mbinoc, 25 August 2019 - 06:09 PM.

#4 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Skylab

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 25 August 2019 - 05:29 PM

Interesting observation and topic! I have both digital zoom modest camera and binos... and love them both. The traditional binos are wonderful for relaxing and viewing directly vs vicariously thru a screen and saved file. But the camera is wonderful for capturing images for the record, and to bring back the memories of having been there! They make a good combination!

Personally, I would avoid devices that do both (those binos with built in camera) --- where you wind up with deficient plus deficient.    Tom

• Jon Isaacs and Mbinoc like this

#5 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 25 August 2019 - 06:00 PM

Personally, I would avoid devices that do both (those binos with built in camera) --- where you wind up with deficient plus deficient.    Tom

:waytogo:

The binos with the digital zoom camera built in seem like a gimmick. The binos are poor quality, the camera is poor quality.

The camera is most likely a digital zoom meaning that there is no optical zoom. Digital zoom simply wastes pixels.. it not really zooming in..

Jon

#6 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 August 2019 - 06:23 PM

If anyone is interested, here is the camera used in the above photos.

IMG_0365.JPG

Its pretty small in body, but the lens extends out to a surprising distance.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics