•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

historical weather data

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cumberland, Maryland, USA

Posted 25 August 2019 - 08:55 PM

How do you find what the weather was in a particular location on a particular date in the past?

Specifically, I would like to see cloud coverage in the Eastern USA for the mornings of 2018-11-11 and 2017-11-11.

#2 gezak22

gezak22

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: On far side of moon. Send help.

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:10 PM

Clearskychart has climate data for sponsored locations. For Maryland for example, there are three sponsored charts (shown with a star in front of the location), and they have an extra link called "Forecast History / Climate". Here is the history for Alpha Ridge.

But they do not show the weather for a particular day.

#3 Simcal

Simcal

Vostok 1

• Loc: Caledon, Ontario

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:19 PM

If you are comfortable making API http requests, you can try here.

https://darksky.net/...machine-request

#4 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:22 PM

Both of those websites are really confusing to me :-( .

I was just kinda hoping for a snapshot from a weather satellite or something like that.  Or "was partly cloudy and X degrees with X wind at Location Z."  I can see the live cloud cover on Weather.com but not anything that isn't live.

If I wanted a cloud cover map for a specific date and time, is that something I might have to file a FOIA request to the NOAA for maybe?  I figure by the time that gets processed, I could get the 2019 November forecast directly from The Weather Channel.

I saw a few articles with cloud cover maps of 2016 and 2015 when they were planning for the 2017 eclipse.  Not sure how they got those maps.  I couldn't find anything on Google Search.

I would be interested in more in-depth weather history, but I don't really need that for planning the Mercury transit on 2019-11-11.

Edited by Nicole Sharp, 25 August 2019 - 09:25 PM.

#5 Simcal

Simcal

Vostok 1

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:28 PM

How about this:  https://gis.ncdc.noa...maps/ncei/radar

#6 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:30 PM

So if I am reading this correctly, then there would be a 30% chance of at least 50% clear skies any day between November 1 and November 15 in Baltimore, Maryland:

https://www.cleardar...timoreMDct.html

I could have figured that out myself though.  I figure about 50% odds that any particular location would be at least partly cloudy.

I know historical cloud maps wouldn't help me to make accurate predictions, but it would give me real-world scenarios to see how far I might have to travel on 2019-11-11 depending on whether it is cloudy in Maryland or not.

Edited by Nicole Sharp, 25 August 2019 - 09:40 PM.

#7 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:37 PM

Not sure if that's working.  I plugged in 2018-11-11T16:11Z for several different years and they all come out as clear.  Is the National Reflectivity Mosaic showing cloud cover or just radar data?  On Weather.com, I have to specify "clouds plus radar" instead of just "radar."

Edited by Nicole Sharp, 25 August 2019 - 09:38 PM.

#8 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:50 PM

Not sure if that's working.  I plugged in 2018-11-11T16:11Z for several different years and they all come out as clear.  Is the National Reflectivity Mosaic showing cloud cover or just radar data?  On Weather.com, I have to specify "clouds plus radar" instead of just "radar."

I think I got it working.  I have to click to select the date and time, instead of typing it in.  But I am pretty sure that map is only showing precipitation and not cloud cover.  I checked every November 11 for the past 10 years, and it does not show any precipitation in Allegany County, Maryland on that particular date for the last 10 years, but there would have to have been clouds on one of those years I would think.  But it appears that the odds seem good for zero precipitation.  That gives me some hope.

ClearDarkSky.com says 37% chance of being 50% cloud cover or less for Frostburg, Allegany, Maryland.

But would still like to find some actual cloud maps or satellite photos if possible.

Edited by Nicole Sharp, 25 August 2019 - 09:51 PM.

#9 Simcal

Simcal

Vostok 1

Posted 25 August 2019 - 10:00 PM

Darksky data is awesome.. take the time to read the instructions and try it. No free lunch.

#10 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 August 2019 - 10:18 PM

Darksky data is awesome.. take the time to read the instructions and try it. No free lunch.

It doesn't look like they provide any cloud maps for more than 10 days in the past.  I'd like to see 2018-11-11 and 2017-11-11.

Between the two other links above, odds appear to be 37% that it should clear enough on November 11 for the transit here in Allegany County, Maryland, but I'd still like to see something like a satellite photo of the Eastern USA on 2018-11-11.  Those satellites are up there every day snapping photos of clouds from space; I figure someone should have that data.  I might try to contact the National Weather Service directly see if they can provide anything perhaps.

Edited by Nicole Sharp, 25 August 2019 - 10:36 PM.

#11 MEE

MEE

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 25 August 2019 - 11:57 PM

https://weather.us/s...0826-0430z.html

Change date and time, zoom in on state
Be aware if too early visible sat may not show well- may need to switch to infrared
  • Nicole Sharp likes this

#12 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 August 2019 - 12:44 AM

https://weather.us/s...0826-0430z.html

Change date and time, zoom in on state
Be aware if too early visible sat may not show well- may need to switch to infrared

Thanks!  Looking at the "color Super HD (every 15 min)" layer for 7:30 AM to 1:30 PM on 2018-11-11.  Looks like completely overcast for most of Maryland with clouds moving south.

Seems like South Hill Town Hall in Southern Virginia would have been the closest clear spot to Maryland for the duration of the transit if it had happened in 2018 instead of 2019.

Probably too much to ask for it to be clear the whole time, but I want to at least get the very beginning and very end of the transit, when Mercury is crossing the limb of the Solar disc.

I will have to look at more years but hopefully I won't have to go further than one state over maybe.  That's a lot better than a last-minute mad dash to someplace like Miami or Boston from Maryland.  In 2024, I'll have to go to Buffalo, New York.

Edited by Nicole Sharp, 26 August 2019 - 12:48 AM.

#13 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 August 2019 - 12:50 AM

Thanks!  Looking at the "color Super HD (every 15 min)" layer for 7:30 AM to 1:30 PM on 2018-11-11.  Looks like completely overcast for most of Maryland with clouds moving south.

Seems like South Hill Town Hall in Southern Virginia would have been the closest clear spot to Maryland for the duration of the transit if it had happened in 2018 instead of 2019.

Probably too much to ask for it to be clear the whole time, but I want to at least get the very beginning and very end of the transit, when Mercury is crossing the limb of the Solar disc.

I will have to look at more years but hopefully I won't have to go further than one state over maybe.  That's a lot better than a last-minute mad dash to someplace like Miami or Boston from Maryland.  In 2024, I'll have to go to Buffalo, New York.

Okay, I was looking at the wrong date I think.  2018-11-11 looks completely clear skies the whole day for pretty much all of Maryland.  If only we can get so lucky again!

#14 MEE

MEE

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 26 August 2019 - 03:28 AM

https://weatherspark.com/

https://eclipsophile...sit-of-mercury/

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics