•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can a Vixen GP-DX support a Celestron C9.25 for visual?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 aa6ww

aa6ww

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:39 PM

I've had a Vixen GP-DX for years and never mounted anything heavier than a C8 on my mount. I have a total of about 18 pounds of counterweights, and was wondering if my mount could support the weight of a C9.25? 

I find my self using this mount more and more, instead of my larger losmandy G11, and have been considering buying a C9.25 and trying one out.

If I find the mount is too light, Id probably look for a GM8 as another light weight mount option for just setting up on my patio in a chair with my tripod legs set to very low for sitting. Ive also considerd Meades LX-85 but im really not a fan of chinese GoTo mounts. Im opposed to the AVX since I've had numerous friends with this mount who all seemed to be plagued with bad motors and firmware issues.

Anyone try this combo with a C9.25? I would probably use 1.25" eyepieces since they seem to get the job done in a smaller light weight package.

Thanks for any advice on any of this.

...Ralph

#2 J A VOLK

J A VOLK

Apollo

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 25 August 2019 - 10:37 PM

Company 7 has a page on the GP-DX, they state it can handle 'Catadioptric telescopes of up to about 230 mm', which is basically the C9.25

#3 Traveler

Traveler

Gemini

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 25 August 2019 - 11:25 PM

The GP-DX will carry your C9.25 just fine. Have fun with that great classic mount. 

#4 orlyandico

orlyandico

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 26 August 2019 - 02:26 AM

I put a C9.25 on a GP with wooden tripod legs. It was shaky, but not as shaky as a C8 on a Vixen Porta.

Since the GP-DX is much more sturdy than a GP, I expect it will do just fine.

#5 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 26 August 2019 - 03:55 AM

Celestron used to sell that combo. It worked well.

#6 Der_Pit

Der_Pit

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: La Palma

Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:32 AM

A friend of mine had borrowed my GP-DX for imaging with a 250mm Newton (it has the HAL aluminum tripod).  It needed a LOT of counterweight, but he was happy with the result.   So there really should be no big issue with a C9.25 for visual.

#7 peleuba

peleuba

Surveyor 1

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:38 AM

As others have said, it will work quite nicely.  An imaging friend prefers the GP-DX over his Lomsandy GM8 for imaging.

#8 aa6ww

aa6ww

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 29 August 2019 - 10:39 AM

This is all great news. I've been bouncing around several mount options but looks like I can just give it a try on my GP-DX mount now.
Thanks for all the great Inputs.

..Ralph

#9 Astrodave

Astrodave

Apollo

• Loc: Centreville, Va. USA

Posted 29 August 2019 - 11:06 AM

I don't think it will work. That way you can sell me that mount head! lol.gif 

These things are unicorns on the used market now.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics