•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What should I get?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jim1804

Jim1804

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Raleigh-Durham NC, USA

Posted 25 August 2019 - 10:41 PM

Hi all,

Sorry for another "what should I get" post. I've been reading up a lot, and have some ideas, but wanted to get some direct advice based on what I have. 

Let's say I have an approx. $300 budget. 

Here are my primary scopes and current eyepieces:

C6 (f/10)

C90 (f/13.9)

ST80 (f/5)

So two fairly slow scopes, and one moderately fast scope (the other scopes listed in my signature are used much less frequently, and have similar characteristics). 

My normally used eyepieces:

32mm GSO Plössl (52 degs)

25mm Celestron Plössl (52 degs; came with the C6)

Meade 24-8mm zoom

I have other Plössl EPs in different focal lengths, but rarely use them. I have a cheap 2x Barlow that came with a kit a few years back. I think it's actually more like 1.8x or so, but haven't taken the time to measure it. I don't use it often, but will Barlow the zoom from time to time on planets and the moon when conditions permit. 

What would you do in my situation? I don't want to just throw money after the "More Better Gooder" (pace Uncle Rod) just for the sake of spending money, but I know there is some good stuff out there. I've had the chance through my club to look through some 82deg EPs, but am suffering "paralysis by analysis".  Any and all advice appreciated!

#2 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 25 August 2019 - 10:52 PM

Why do you think you need new eyepieces? It's difficult to suggest new gear if the goals for observing are not spelled out.

What do you like about the eyepieces you have now? What do you not like about them? What types of sky objects do you like observing? Do you also look at birds?

You will probably get responses telling you to get an eyepiece with a wider apparent field of view APOV. Do you think that would make your observing more enjoyable?

Do you want sharper, more detailed views of planets? Larger aperture scopes resolve more details on planets, so maybe you are limited by aperture, rather than quality or type of eyepiece.

Best of luck with your search. smile.gif .

• cookjaiii likes this

#3 Jim1804

Jim1804

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 August 2019 - 11:30 PM

Shaula - good questions. I think I’m looking for FOV in the slow scopes, and better image on the fast scope.

Night sky objects - moon, planets, DSOs. I’d like a wider FOV on the moon and some extended DSOs. Obviously FOV is more than good in the ST80.

Which makes me wonder - would a reducer get me what I’m looking for (at least for the C6)?

#4 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 26 August 2019 - 01:28 AM

Personally and as you are contemplating plossl eyepieces I would go purchase a selection of ES 52 eyepieces.

Assuming cost are similar to here I guess for $300 you could get 5 of them.

The ST80 is not good for high power so that helps as a really short one for that is maybe out of reasonable selection.

First guess: 6.5mm (ST 80), 10mm, 15mm, 30mm and either the 20mm or 25mm - probably the 20mm. The 4.5mm half appears possible in the ST80 but slight doubts, and yiu could end up with an eyepiece that you use once a month or less. I have a 70mm f/5 scope and my 8mm and 12mm are most used in it. And yes I have 6mm, 5mm, 4mm and a 3.2mm, just they do not get used.

So in summary: 5x ES 52's @ 6.5mm, 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, 30mm.

That's all your money spent for you, easy isn't it? lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

#5 Jim1804

Jim1804

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 August 2019 - 07:54 AM

Thanks, SG. Very helpful. One thing however - I have a bunch of Plossls. I’m thinking one or two better EPs...

#6 rustynpp

rustynpp

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NYC

Posted 26 August 2019 - 11:52 AM

Are there any focal lengths in particular you find yourself using a lot? It's generally a good idea to spend money on an EP or two at your most used focal lengths.

#7 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeast USA

Posted 26 August 2019 - 01:39 PM

What setting do you like/use the most on your zoom? You could get an eyepiece of similar focal length but with a wider FOV.

Do your scopes only use 1.25" EPs? The widest true field of view would be a 24/68°, Explore Sci & TeleVue Panoptic. The 16mm 82° Type 5 Nagler is highly regarded as being one of the sharpest eyepieces of the line, but it's a little over your budget.

If you like long eye relief & large eye lenses, Baader Morpheus & Pentax XW are in your price range. I'd go with the Morpheus on anything above 10mm and the Pentax XW at 10mm & below. Also a little above your budget [unless you buy used] is the TeleVue Delos. These 3 series all have very similar characteristics, and [imho] they are some of the best 1.25" EPs you can get in today's market. 

#8 Jim1804

Jim1804

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 August 2019 - 08:57 PM

Thanks everyone - some good stuff to think about!

#9 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 27 August 2019 - 10:01 PM

My most used eyepiece is my Baader Hyperion 8-24 zoom.  Like you, I had the Celestron zoom first.   I still have it and use it in my 80 mm refractors but in my 12" Dob I use the BH Zoom.

If you want 82s, I would probably suggest the 11 and 6.7 but it really depends on where you feel you need that wide view and what powers you want to hit in which scope. 

Explore Scientific 82 degree are on sale at 30% off at Astronomics and eyepiecesetc.com as well as other places.   You can't go wrong with these.

I moved to these from Plossls and use them in all of my scopes.  And I keep adding more. 

ES82 vs. Meade82 vs. Celestron 82

https://www.cloudyni...nous-82/?hl=+vs

ES 82 8.8 and 6.7 Review
https://telescopicwa...yepiece-review/

Meade 5000 UWA 82 degree eyepiece review
https://telescopicwa...-series-review/

#10 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 August 2019 - 10:07 PM

A reducer would give you a wider FOV with the C6. It might vignette though. Small baffle I believe. But some people do it.

The 32 Plossl gets you as wide as you can go with 1.25”. So no reason to pursue more TFOV. The zoom has decent AFOV at the low end but not so much the high end. Could look for a 20mm wide angle. Could even go after a used 19 Panoptic if you want to see how premium glass performs. Usually around $200. Then you could get a higher power like 5mm Paradigm or maybe a 4.5mm Meade HD60 rather than having to barlow the Zoom. More convenient, and most likely sharper views.

Scott
  • izar187 likes this

#11 izar187

izar187

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: 43N

Posted 01 September 2019 - 03:25 AM

Another vote for keeping the 32mm plossl.

Also for replacing plossl+barlow combo's with the 60 + degree long eye relief options.

Paradigm's, HD60's, as suggested.

But also maybe Radians, used Delites? 

Edited by izar187, 01 September 2019 - 03:26 AM.

#12 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 01 September 2019 - 11:30 PM

My vote's for an 8" f6 dob....

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics