•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Beaglehaven Observatory was decommissioned today...

observatory
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BKBrown

BKBrown

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Virginia, USA

Posted 25 August 2019 - 11:24 PM

After only seven far too short years Beaglehaven Observatory is closing down due to real life stuff. The obsy was built by Scott and Don of BYO in 2012 and was the culmination of a lifelong dream. I would often sit inside when the weather was nice even if I couldn't observe, it was a place for contemplation and getting in touch with the universe, or just plain relaxing...I will miss those times. On the plus side, I am moving to a very rural 18 acre "gentleman's farm" in central Virginia under Bortle 3 skies and close to good fishing in the James River, and not too far from Charlottesville. It is a very peaceful area with a much less hectic pace of life than I have been accustomed to in northern Virginia and the Washington DC region. I sure won't miss the traffic! When the dust has settled a bit and my house is in order I intend to rebuild and construct a new observatory using the lessons I learned from Beaglehaven and my friends here on CN. When that new journey begins I will share it here and invite everyone along for the ride. My life has been rather tumultuous of late and I look forward to more placid times with a whole lot more fishing and nights under the stars...Peace smile.png

Dismantled the AP 1200 and packed the big scopes...

IMG_8090_BHsc.jpg

Clear Skies,

Brian snoopy2.gif

Edited by BKBrown, 25 August 2019 - 11:26 PM.

• R Botero and KennFromTX like this

#2 TMO

TMO

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 25 August 2019 - 11:40 PM

Brian,

Thank you for your heartfelt words about moving to your new life outside Charlottesville.  May the stars and fireflies brighten your evenings!

Geoff at Taylor Mountain Observatory

• BKBrown and KennFromTX like this

#3 Astrola72

Astrola72

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 26 August 2019 - 08:54 AM

Bortle 3 skies and good fishing nearby? You're gonna be livin' the dream bro! Best of luck. Y'all come back, y'hear?

Joe

#4 BKBrown

BKBrown

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Virginia, USA

Posted 27 August 2019 - 01:31 PM

Thanks guys, one door closes and another opens smile.png It's just hard picking up everything you own after settling in comfortably for 20 years and heading to a very different life, especially as we get older.

Fini...

IMG_8093_fini.jpg

Clear Skies,

Brian snoopy2.gif

• Scott Horstman and OldManSky like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: observatory

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics