•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Your experience with Caldwell 9 Cave nebula

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Roragi

Roragi

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Orion arm

Posted 26 August 2019 - 05:46 AM

I've been trying to visualize this nebula for years, also listed as sh 2 - 155, in the scopes that have passed through time, 4",10" and now with 16". I only have memories of being able to intuit something with which my main telescope was on 10 "when I saw an extremely weak fog around the area in the stars. I can only compare the background of the sky in another part of the eyepiece and say if there is anything here !!!

A few months ago with my 16 "I only detected a little or minimal contour of that fog and a small knot of very diffuse brightness that was what really caught my attention and I can say that I have seen something.

It seems to me an object that should not be included in this catalog, apparently the entire list is visible with a 4 "refractor.

What was your experience with this object?

Roberto.

• j.gardavsky likes this

#2 Pcbessa

Pcbessa

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Forres, NE Scotland, UK

Posted 26 August 2019 - 09:55 AM

I have seen this nebula with a UHC filter with my 10inch Dob in a Bortle 2 location.

But it was extremely faint patch and it ranks as the faintest nebula of all the 50 emissions nebulas I have seen so far with my Dob. That tells you how unremarkable and difficult/faint this object is.

The Horsehead is far easier. I have even seen a bit of the Cone (which is another very difficult object) and it was easier.

Edited by Pcbessa, 26 August 2019 - 09:56 AM.

#3 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 26 August 2019 - 12:23 PM

I've been trying to visualize this nebula for years, also listed as sh 2 - 155, in the scopes that have passed through time, 4",10" and now with 16". I only have memories of being able to intuit something with which my main telescope was on 10 "when I saw an extremely weak fog around the area in the stars. I can only compare the background of the sky in another part of the eyepiece and say if there is anything here !!!

A few months ago with my 16 "I only detected a little or minimal contour of that fog and a small knot of very diffuse brightness that was what really caught my attention and I can say that I have seen something.

It seems to me an object that should not be included in this catalog, apparently the entire list is visible with a 4 "refractor.

What was your experience with this object?

Roberto.

Sharpless 2-155 is the main name by which this nebula is recognized.

Bear in mind the Caldwell list was not compiled from a list of observed objects that impressed in any aperture, merely a desire to market a list of objects under a famous name (Patrick Moore) by Sky & Telescope.

So many of the objects on the list, like this one, are more photographic objects than they are visual objects (e.g.4, 9, 11, 19, 20, 31, 68, 99).

Some. like the Hyades, are more naked eye/binocular objects.

It is a strange list, and put together to mimic the exact size of the Messier list.

You might be able to see all of them, but they are far from the most spectacular 109 objects beyond the Messier list, though some are spectacular.

I compiled a list a while back of 500+ deep sky objects for the northern hemisphere observer (including many of the Messiers) for a 4-6" scope, and I have viewed them all in my 4" refractor:

https://www.cloudyni...-best-dso-list/

When you get done with that, I have some other suggestions.

Edited by Starman1, 26 August 2019 - 12:24 PM.

• Dave Mitsky, David Knisely, Waddensky and 1 other like this

#4 sgottlieb

sgottlieb

Apollo

• Loc: SF Bay area

Posted 26 August 2019 - 09:06 PM

I've never paid any attention to the Caldwell list per se, but here's an observation of the Cave Nebula = Sh 2-155 from 20 years back with a 17.5-inch.

Nebulosity was picked up at 100x surrounding a 7' north-south pair of mag 7.6 (O7-type HD 217086) and 8.5 stars (Be-type HD 217061).  The glow was large, roughly circular, and low surface brightness.  It appeared slightly brighter around the mag 8.5 star.  A small faint knot of nebulosity (perhaps 1' in size) was seen 3' ENE of the mag 8.5 star.  Neither an OIII or H-Beta provided any contrast improvement, although there seemed to be a slight improvement with a UHC filter.  The "Cave" section to the east of the bright stars did not stand out.

• Roragi and j.gardavsky like this

#5 vdog

vdog

Apollo

• Loc: California Central Valley, U.S.A.

Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:29 PM

I tried, no go.  I did catch a whiff of the nearby Wizard Nebula with my UHC. 

Oh, for dark skies.

Edited by vdog, 26 August 2019 - 10:29 PM.

#6 Roragi

Roragi

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 August 2019 - 12:40 AM

I have seen this nebula with a UHC filter with my 10inch Dob in a Bortle 2 location.

But it was extremely faint patch and it ranks as the faintest nebula of all the 50 emissions nebulas I have seen so far with my Dob. That tells you how unremarkable and difficult/faint this object is.

The Horsehead is far easier. I have even seen a bit of the Cone (which is another very difficult object) and it was easier.

Certainly the horse nebula is brighter.

Sharpless 2-155 is the main name by which this nebula is recognized.

Bear in mind the Caldwell list was not compiled from a list of observed objects that impressed in any aperture, merely a desire to market a list of objects under a famous name (Patrick Moore) by Sky & Telescope.

So many of the objects on the list, like this one, are more photographic objects than they are visual objects (e.g.4, 9, 11, 19, 20, 31, 68, 99).

Some. like the Hyades, are more naked eye/binocular objects.

It is a strange list, and put together to mimic the exact size of the Messier list.

You might be able to see all of them, but they are far from the most spectacular 109 objects beyond the Messier list, though some are spectacular.

I compiled a list a while back of 500+ deep sky objects for the northern hemisphere observer (including many of the Messiers) for a 4-6" scope, and I have viewed them all in my 4" refractor:

https://www.cloudyni...-best-dso-list/

When you get done with that, I have some other suggestions.

Yes, it is a catalog that was made as similar to Messier, many people are reluctant to this. Thank you for your catalog of 500, hundreds of them are seen and drawn.

I've never paid any attention to the Caldwell list per se, but here's an observation of the Cave Nebula = Sh 2-155 from 20 years back with a 17.5-inch.

Nebulosity was picked up at 100x surrounding a 7' north-south pair of mag 7.6 (O7-type HD 217086) and 8.5 stars (Be-type HD 217061).  The glow was large, roughly circular, and low surface brightness.  It appeared slightly brighter around the mag 8.5 star.  A small faint knot of nebulosity (perhaps 1' in size) was seen 3' ENE of the mag 8.5 star.  Neither an OIII or H-Beta provided any contrast improvement, although there seemed to be a slight improvement with a UHC filter.  The "Cave" section to the east of the bright stars did not stand out.

Thanks Steve, something similar to what I could see, it seems that little can show this object.

I tried, no go.  I did catch a whiff of the nearby Wizard Nebula with my UHC. 

Oh, for dark skies.

The magician's nebula is a bright object and very easy to observe, the nebula is captured without a filter but it helps a lot to use it to visualize.

Do not comment, the observations were made with NPB filter, under skies of class 3 nelm 6.3 SQM 21.4 on average.I expect reports of some more detail, although I am excepting with this weak object.

Roberto.

#7 Pcbessa

Pcbessa

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 August 2019 - 07:19 AM

I have a list of about 60 non-planetary nebulas observed with my 10 inch Dob.

As I said Cave nebula ranks as faintest nebula observed. Only saw it from a Bortle 2 spot.

Other difficult nebulas (but more easily seen) were Barnard's Loop, Jellyfish (in Gemini), Elephant Trunk and NGC7822 (in Cepheus), Merope and Maia nebulas, the Cone and Fox Fur in Monoceros, and the Spider/ Flaming Star (in Auriga). I saw these mainly from a Bortle 2 location. 

The Horsehead was slightly easier than these ones. And I only have a UHC filter to see it. The good thing about the Horsehead is that it's slightly brighter than the ones I listed so far, so it can be seen from a Bortle 4 location, with some patience.

Much easier, but also faint, were California (only with a filter), Bubble, NGC206 in Andromeda galaxy, and the entire extent of the Seagull, Gamma Cygnus, Soul and Heart nebulas. These nebulas are still rather faint in less dark skies, but can be quite beautiful when seen in very dark skies.

Nebulas like the Rosette, North America, Pelican, Veil, Pacman, Crescent, Flame, Thors Helmet, Monkeyhead, Eagle, are considerably easier to see and brighter than all the ones mentioned before.

I never saw the Lower Nebula and the Witch Hazel in Orion,the Medusa in Gemini, and Gamma Cass nebula, so these must be even fainter than the Cave.

Any feedback on this, Starman?

Edited by Pcbessa, 27 August 2019 - 07:21 AM.

• j.gardavsky likes this

#8 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 27 August 2019 - 09:01 AM

When I go for the really faint stuff, it's usually galaxies.

The Witch Head nebula in Orion (it's more common name) is ultra faint, so I've not tried.  Most images are long exposures.

The Medusa Nebula or Abell 21, in Gemini is easier.  I used an O-III filter and found it, but it's fainter than the Crescent in my notes.

I never tried for the 2 IC nebulae (59, 63) near Gamma Cass either because I thought they were only photographic.

I should, though, as many if not most of the IC objects are at least partially visible.  One looks a lot brighter than the other and has more emission and less reflection as a percentage.

You'd need to get the star out of the field, like the easy way to see NGC2024.

• j.gardavsky likes this

#9 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Hubble

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 27 August 2019 - 03:51 PM

Steve O'Meara purportedly observed all the Caldwell objects with a 4-inch refractor, but he has some of the darkest skies and keenest eyes on planet Earth. For normal mortals, the Cave Nebula is invisible unless your skies are pristine, and extremely difficult in any case. I have tried and failed to see it many times.

The Caldwell list certainly has its merits; all the objects on it are interesting and unusual in some ways. But they're definitely not all easy to observe! I definitely don't recommend it as a follow-on to the casual novice who has just finished with the Messier catalog.

#10 Pcbessa

Pcbessa

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 August 2019 - 05:11 PM

For a 10' Dob, the Caldwell seems to be quite adequate match. I have seen nearly all objects from the catalogue (the ones that can be seen from my latitude), except a few ones. The Cave was certainly one of the most difficult ones (I only saw it from a Bortle 2 site and with a UHC filter). Yesterday I saw Iris nebula, but it was also rather faint and unremarkable. The other nebulae listed in the Caldwell catalogue seem easier.

#11 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 27 August 2019 - 08:27 PM

Using a 120mm refractor the Iris is not that impressive from my SQM 20.4 backyard. Not truly dark. From my observing notes:

Nov 21, 2014, Star12, Home: Misty patch with a hint of the dark lane. Return to this one with darker skies. Iris Nebula

My best view of the Witchhead so far was through an 80mm apochromat, 22 Panoptic, no filter. Large portions visible. I usually look it up whenever I look at the pleasing double star Rigel. Context is key here. When I use the 16" the FOV is significantly smaller and I have to trace the edges to keep some black space in view to contrast with. If I center on the thickest portion and/or run the power up, I "lose" the nebula.

The Cave (Sh 2-155) and Wizard (NGC 7380) are very difficult with my Leica and NPB filter. The cluster associated with NGC 7380 is the only thing worth the effort. From my notes:

Oct 4, 2018, Z16, Home: Fairly large spray of stars best at lower powers.

OTOH, both are very rewarding in my image intensifying eyepiece with a h-alpha filter. Bright and a wealth of detail. A couple of iPhone images attached, Sh 2-155 through a 7" aperture and the Wizard through a 16". Representative of the eyepiece view.

Attached Thumbnails

• Sh 2-155, Epsilon, 12nm ISO 4000.jpg
  • NGC 7380.jpg

• Dave Mitsky and AllanDystrup like this

#12 Roragi

Roragi

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 August 2019 - 03:08 AM

I never saw the Lower Nebula and the Witch Hazel in Orion,the Medusa in Gemini, and Gamma Cass nebula, so these must be even fainter than the Cave.

Any feedback on this, Starman?

The witch's head I have not been able to with her, excellent transparency is necessary in my skies of class 3/9 I have to keep trying. Abell 21 medusa nebula, is visible in the traveler scope at low power and NPB filter. Gamma Cass, is also visible at low power and filter. Flaming star and cone nebula, also visible with scope 4".

Roberto.

• j.gardavsky likes this

#13 nof

nof

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Israel

Posted 29 August 2019 - 04:20 AM

Regarding the Cave Nebula  , I have not yet seen it. But the Iris Nebula, I have seen it twice recently. Once from the Golan Heights on an exceptionally clear night and once again from the High Negev desert on a so-so night (where I merely noted that it was “challenging”). Even though it is usually darker in the Negev desert the transparency on that super night won out. Here are my notes:

Caldwell4 iris nebula: the first observation was with Michael’s 12” newtonian and a 5mm eyepiece. I was able to see the nebulosity as a halo around the central star. Piercing the halo was a black arrow. The central star in the 12” was bright but fuzzy. Then I tried with my own 10” STS using the Ethos 6mm at 215x and all was clear and sharp. The star was a near pinpoint and the contrast and visibility of the nebula was enhanced. In my scope it was simply better. I hadn't lost anything by downgrading from a 12" scope with a decent mirror to a 10" scope with a premium mirror, though the magnification was less so it isn’t a perfect comparison. Conditions were very good and they started to improve after this observation. Lovely night, lovely object!

O’Meara’s descriptions of Caldwell objects is what makes the list intriguing for me. 

For a 10' Dob, the Caldwell seems to be quite adequate match. I have seen nearly all objects from the catalogue (the ones that can be seen from my latitude), except a few ones. The Cave was certainly one of the most difficult ones (I only saw it from a Bortle 2 site and with a UHC filter). Yesterday I saw Iris nebula, but it was also rather faint and unremarkable. The other nebulae listed in the Caldwell catalogue seem easier.

Using a 120mm refractor the Iris is not that impressive from my SQM 20.4 backyard. Not truly dark. From my observing notes:

Nov 21, 2014, Star12, Home: Misty patch with a hint of the dark lane. Return to this one with darker skies. Iris Nebula

My best view of the Witchhead so far was through an 80mm apochromat, 22 Panoptic, no filter. Large portions visible. I usually look it up whenever I look at the pleasing double star Rigel. Context is key here. When I use the 16" the FOV is significantly smaller and I have to trace the edges to keep some black space in view to contrast with. If I center on the thickest portion and/or run the power up, I "lose" the nebula.

The Cave (Sh 2-155) and Wizard (NGC 7380) are very difficult with my Leica and NPB filter. The cluster associated with NGC 7380 is the only thing worth the effort. From my notes:

Oct 4, 2018, Z16, Home: Fairly large spray of stars best at lower powers.

OTOH, both are very rewarding in my image intensifying eyepiece with a h-alpha filter. Bright and a wealth of detail. A couple of iPhone images attached, Sh 2-155 through a 7" aperture and the Wizard through a 16". Representative of the eyepiece view.

#14 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 29 August 2019 - 09:00 AM

The Iris Nebula is otherwise known as NGC 7023.

• nof and j.gardavsky like this

#15 Roragi

Roragi

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 August 2019 - 10:33 AM

NGC 7023 was not complicated in my old 10'' scope. Well this was observed on a trip to a place of class 2/9 with excellent transparency and seeing, the nelm was around 6.8. It was a relatively bright object, its left side contains more light, also a much more intense oval inner shell.

NGC 7023 CN.jpg

Roberto.

• Inkswitch likes this

#16 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:44 AM

Yup, I went after Sh2-155 years ago (December 30th, 1999 in my logbook) in my 10 inch for my filter/object survey, as it was actually outlined in its shape as an emission nebula on my Megastar screen.   It wasn't too hard to locate the field, as there is a magnitude 7.7 star just north of it and a magnitude 6.5 star (HD 216945) immediately to its southeast.  Even with all of my filters, all I could make out from my "pristine" dark sky site was a very faint elongated ill-defined glow perhaps 4 or 5 arc minutes long around two widely-spaced faint stars (brightest one was about 9th magnitude) with only a possible fainter slight southern extension, and maybe a hint of one to the east.  Indeed, the best filter for the object seemed to be the old Lumicon Deep-sky, but it didn't help much more than the UHC did.  I have since gone after it with my 14 inch, and even at the Nebraska Star Party, despite it being a bit easier to see, it was still pretty much just a very faint diffuse glow with little in the way of prominent detail visible.  Our NSP chairman Eric Balcom asked about it one night on Dob Row, so I put my 14 inch "Black Mamba" Dob on it.  He looked in after I found it and said, "That's IT???"  All I said to him was "Yup".   He never bothered with it after than, despite having his 24 inch Dob available.  Clear skies to you.

• Roragi and j.gardavsky like this

#17 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:57 PM

Cave Nebula on the 3rd September season kick-off

The Cave Nebula Sh2-155 has revealed through the 15x85 binoculars with the Baader Blue(RGB)CCD filters a faint glow between the southern stars in the bent rope of the Cepheus OB3 Association.

No details seen.

This is my 6th entry in the observing logbook since 2013.

Years ago, I might have seen the "door to hell" as an insert in the nebular glow through the 6" F/5 achro with the UHC filter, but since that time not again.

The season kick-off has included:

Cygnus:

1318 IC B/C Butterfly DWB 72/77 76

LBN 159 LBN 175

North America with Pelican and the southern nebulae LBN332 IC 5069 LBN329

NGC 6960 NGC 6992 NGC 6995 with the "Funnel band" between them

Crescent NGC 6888

Cepheus:

Sh2-124, IC 1396 Elephant Trunk, Sh2-132

Sh2-131 Sh2-134 Sh2-140 Sh2-145 Sh2-150 (Cepheus Bubble main group)

NGC 7380 Wizard, Sh2-154 (Wizard - Cave group)

Sh2-157 (Simeis arcs inside not resolved)

Sh2-170, Sh2-171 with resolved Ced 214

Cassiopeia:

Sh2-173

NGC 281 Pacman

Valentin's Heart and Soul nebulae - just faint glows without much details worth of describing

Clear skies,

JG

Edited by j.gardavsky, 19 September 2019 - 01:59 PM.

• Inkswitch and AllanDystrup like this

#18 IVM

IVM

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:00 PM

Hi Roberto, 

I saw a fairly detailed contour of the "cave" (one side - which one, depends on where you think the cave part is), vaguely reminiscent of the western Veil unfiltered in binoculars, in my old 12" SCT c. 2012 and, to my shame, haven't returned to this object since. Great reminder. It was one of those primarily photographic objects that Moore included in his list as a challenge even to those with large telescopes, but really is quite alright even in 12 inches. What I saw was the W edge of the nebulosity that passes through TYC 4467-434-1, 7 to 10 arcmin long. That's from memory, but I have a rough sketch somewhere.

P.S. From my main site, safely 21.6 mag/arcsec.

Edited by IVM, 20 September 2019 - 10:02 PM.

• j.gardavsky likes this

#19 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 21 September 2019 - 10:48 AM

Hello all,

besides the Cave and the Sh2-154 south of it, there are 2 more "challenges" east of the Wizzard:

Sh2-148 (-147)  6" F/5 achro: Baader H-Beta, Leica HC Plan S (f=25mm): faint with direct vision

Sh2-152  6" F/5 achro: Baader H-Beta, Leica HC Plan S (f=25mm): very faint with averted vison

5th September 2019

I am tempted to rate the Sh2-152 as being more difficult than the Cave, as it took me more time.

JG

• Pcbessa likes this

#20 IVM

IVM

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 September 2019 - 06:20 PM

My account, from memory, that I gave above was inaccurate. Here are the actual details, from my old journal: 2011.12.24, CSSP - nominal NELM 7 site but only fair conditions. Sh2-155, Caldwell 9. Cepheus. 12" SCT F/10. Best with 13 mm Ethos and no filter (OIII and H-beta tried). S and E of the unequal NS star pair HD 217086, HD 217061. Three fragments of nebulosity in a NE-SW line: the NW one slightly extended ENE-WSW, the central one small, round, the SW one greatly extended NNE-SSW. Multiple stars are seen around but not involved in the nebulous fragments. [These fragments trace what appears to be an ionization front on DSS.]

• Roragi likes this

#21 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 September 2019 - 10:31 PM

I observed both Sh2-155 and NGC 7023 about 5 years back from my suburban back yard using my C6R.  I found both surprisingly easy to find and see without my NPB filter, but once I put the filter in, they really popped.  In fact, for Sh2-155 (Cave) what I saw with the filter was pretty much similar to what I saw in photos and sketches I googled once I came in later, which confirmed my observation - I wasn't sure at first if I'd actually seen it or just the surrounding nebula clouds - edit, what I observed was very similar to David Knisely's description above, but brighter and easier to see with the filter inserted.

I should think that from average suburban skies these two should be easy targets in the OP's 10", and with a good UHC filter, details should be easy to see.

Edited by Steve Cox, 23 September 2019 - 10:48 PM.

#22 Pcbessa

Pcbessa

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 September 2019 - 06:13 PM

Thanks,

I haven't tried those ones yet.

I had a very dark sky yesterday.

It was the first time that I could really spot good detail on the Elephant Trunk.

Even then, the Cave was barely detectable. Its very faint. 

Sh2-154 near Cave was easier to see, than the Cave. And interestingly I saw it only when without the UHC filter.

I also saw Sh2-134 and sh2-135 near the Elephant Trunk, and these were almost as bright as the Elephant Trunk. Quite interesting area. Also Sh2-132 (Lion Fish nebula) is fairly bright.

Hello all,

besides the Cave and the Sh2-154 south of it, there are 2 more "challenges" east of the Wizzard:

Sh2-148 (-147)  6" F/5 achro: Baader H-Beta, Leica HC Plan S (f=25mm): faint with direct vision

Sh2-152  6" F/5 achro: Baader H-Beta, Leica HC Plan S (f=25mm): very faint with averted vison

5th September 2019

I am tempted to rate the Sh2-152 as being more difficult than the Cave, as it took me more time.

JG

• j.gardavsky likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics