•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron or Skywatcher

beginner cassegrain Maksutov
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kathmandu712

kathmandu712

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 August 2019 - 06:13 AM

I'm looking to buy my first telescope and I have narrowed it down to either a Celestron C5 or the Skywatcher Skymax 102mm.  I want a scope that can be used for either astronomy or nature photography hence these two choices.

I have had conflicting advice on other forums so I would be interested in the opinion of my fellow members of this forum.

Thanks.

• treadmarks likes this

#2 Hesiod

Hesiod

Gemini

Posted 26 August 2019 - 06:23 AM

The c5 is a more capable telescope, and works rather well with the f/6.3 focal reducer.
Being natively 1 stop faster it is also a feature you should not underestimate for nature photography
  • Jon Isaacs likes this

#3 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 26 August 2019 - 08:39 AM

They are both good scopes, but the C-5 has more aperture and more versatile for your needs.  You won't be sorry with the C-5. 

Frank

Tucson

• kathmandu712 likes this

#4 MrRoberts

MrRoberts

Ranger 4

• Loc: Barrington, Illinois

Posted 26 August 2019 - 08:41 AM

C-5 . I do the same thing with my C-6 W/.63 FR but I don't carry it very far. The C-5 would be much easier if you have to carry it for any long distances. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0465-2.jpg

#5 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Skylab

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 26 August 2019 - 09:48 AM

Another vote for the C5.  One of the sharpest scopes I own.

#6 treadmarks

treadmarks

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Boston MA

Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:09 AM

You've done your research well. I own the Orion version of the Skymax 102. I consider the C5 to be a straight upgrade over the 102 Mak. It weighs the same and it's the same length, but it performs better. But the 102 Mak costs half as much and doesn't normally need to be collimated. I think the C5 is best in class for photo tripod spotting scopes.

#7 Auburn80

Auburn80

Viking 1

Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:22 AM

Here's another vote for the C5 if it fits your budget. As stated earlier, its ~ 2x the price of the 102. Also, it is a little larger than the 102 which may affect your mounting requirements; especially as a telephoto lens.

I'm sure you've considered this but I'll point it out. The focal length of these scopes are looooong for use as a lens. Not a problem as long as you're prepared for it. Keep in mind that these also have a slow f ratio in basic configuration but the C5 can accept a reducer/corrector to bring it to f6.6. Not sure about the 102.

Good Luck!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner, cassegrain, Maksutov

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics