•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AHSP: Advice for heading out early?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sam M

Sam M

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 26 August 2019 - 01:09 PM

Heading to AHSP this weekend, and the weather looks good Wednesday, and great Thursday.  But the star party doesn't start until Friday, and they don't take early arrivals.  Thinking I might head out after work Wednesday, but that'll land me looking for a walk in site at Spruce Knob Lake (or somewhere else) pretty late on Wednesday night.  Anyone have any experience / advice / similar plans for how to pull this off?

#2 Sam M

Sam M

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 09 September 2019 - 02:36 PM

For anyone who is curious...

Wednesday night I stayed at Trout Pond campground.  Got there around dusk, and there were plenty of walk in campsites available.  Perfect night for astronomy under nice dark skies.  The boat dock at the pond provided about half an open sky.  This was a southern view, over the pond. Some light from the bathhouse at the pond, but it was behind trees, so didn't mess with my night vision.  Not perfect for astronomy, but good, and the sky was plenty dark on that side of the mountain.

Thursday night I stayed at Spruce Knob Lake campground.  Again, plenty of walk in sites available.  Well kept campground, but no showers available.  Plenty of open sky available with room to set up at the lake, very close by.  Super dark skies.

While it was easy finding sites on a week night, both campgrounds looked pretty (if not fully) booked up for the weekend. So, I wouldn't go out there expecting a walk in site on a weekend without at least checking first.

• paul likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics